1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipad Mini

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TheDude, Oct 23, 2012.

1. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What do you guys think of the new Ipad Mini?

I like it's size, but it bugs me that it has an A5 chip and same screen resolution as the Ipad 2, while they could have used their latest technology, retina display and the A6x chip.
    I mean, at a starting price of 329, they could have easily add that. Let's face it, Apple is a greedy company. Don't get me wrong, I like Apple products and I do own some, but I bet everything I have that in a few months from now we will see an Ipad Mini with retina display and they will deem it as the best thing to ever happen to Apple.

Ps: Sorry if the last sentence offended anyone.

2. Jared

I don't plan on getting it, I already have an iPad 2. I think they held back on some features to give the iPad a few exclusive feature over the Mini and also so they can realize a Retina Mini later and get more money. I love Apple products, especially my iPhone 5 and iPad, but they definitely are greedy SOBs.

I think the iPad Mini will be good as more of an entry level device and it will sell like crazy.

3. darlig ulv

If it's shiny, aluminum-ey, and Apple. The company will make a killing no matter what. But I'm happy with my Kindle Fire. At that size, you may as well get an ipod touch.

4. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

I'd do what Tosh did.

Smash it with a golf club.

5. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Looks really awesome. I won't get one, of course, because I have no need for anything but my CPU and dumb phone, but I would if I were getting any tablet, even over the regular iPad.

6. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I never understood the appeal of the 7 inch tablet form factor. I'm sure it will sell in the millions, especially in the education market. But for me it just seems to small. I'm more pissed that I'm already outdated after I bought my third gen iPad 6 months ago, wtf apple!?!:tantrum:

7. Pyrotactick

Personally, I'm not really with Apple computers, but...FINALLY, apple needed to step their game up and stop making the phone. Give the people a chihuahua ipad like every other company is. Done.

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2012 at 11:08 PM ----------

Well...they made a smaller one because of the style of having a pocket sized ipad. I like bigger ipads because....more touch screen and it's only a couple inches! Sorry about that :L maybe you could talk to them? Or they'll just be a douche, either way, I think you can return it or in a sense, "swap it in", when it comes out...maybe....right?

8. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More useless crap people think they need even though it's hardly any different? :rolle:

9. starfish

I do like the size better than the regular iPad. If I didn't already have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 I'd pick one up.

10. Caudex

Caudex Guest

You can't seriously expect them to cater to all of your needs. If everyone like you had their way, there would never be a new product released. Anyway, it's quite a minor improvement and the iPad 3 will actually be more convenient for about 6 more months because of the prevalence of chargers until Lightning takes over.

11. Night Rain

Believe it or not, I actually like the 4:3 aspect ratio screen of the iPad mini. But with the A5 chip, and the poor DPI... and the fact that I don't really like Apple (over-priced products) and its fans..

12. Pat

Pat

I don't see what makes people so obsessive. Always trying to keep up with the Joneses. Lol. For the iPad Mini to include a retina display and larger resolution would get rid of the iPad 4th Gen. The intent was to create a new market for the smaller tablets. Well, not create.. but take that over also. I think they will ultimately be in violation of the Sherman Act like Microsoft in the 90s. The intent isn't the same, they really just want their competition to have to be innovative from scratch and not piggy back on their ideas. Hypocritical when you look at how they began, but with that being said, building on Unix is fair game and Steve Jobs was a genius in that regard with Mac computers. The long term intent of the iPad is to annihilate the PC market. In the near future there will only be iPads.. Larger ones, smaller ones, intermediate ones.. the tablet will overtake the PC and Mac market eventually.

13. Vivid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I remember how people called (and still call) the original iPad a big iPod touch. Now Apple has released a smaller big iPod Touch...

Maybe the Mini fits some need I'm unaware of, but if I were to buy an iPad, I'd spend $70 more and buy the 4.

14. Pat

Pat

I didn't really expect Apple to bite on that small of a market. Especially considering that Tim Cook pretty much dissed the market all together earlier this year. It was shocking because the iPod Touch IS essentially a small iPad. As a business owner myself, sometimes you just do shit because people want it. They don't know better. If they want to buy it, fuck it. lol. Sell it.

15. qboy

I'd love a 7" tablet which can switch between colour eInk and a normal display. Would be ideal for extended reading (i.e. the eInk) and would be large enough to do magazines and stuff, without being too large (which I find is an issue with the iPad).

With consumer electronics you need to be prepared for a better one to come along every 6-12 months. Apple seam to be going down the roads of first release, "major" upgrade, "minor" upgrade, "major" etc... (see iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4, iphone 4S, iPhone 5, and no doubt next summer the iPhone 5S). Basically they expect people to go from S to S to S or nonS to nonS to nonS with a few rabid fanbois getting each upgrade as they come out.

16. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I'm an IT guy so believe me, I know how fast things become obsolete. My problem is that apple usually runs on a one year refresh cycle for thier products. I expected to have support for at least a year. But lately apple has been screwing last gen hardware out of update to push the newer product. So I feel like I've been burned by apple. If I don't get everything in ios7 ill be pretty disappointed. /end rant

17. qboy

As much as I hate Apple I actually admire there support for the old products - even though the iPhone 5 has come out the iPhone 4 (3 iterations old now) is still getting software updates as quick as the 5 (in fact IIRC the 3GS is still getting updates!). Yes you don't get Siri and the likes on the newer versions, but the core OS upgrades are there meaning most of the third party software will work on it.

My 2012 Sony smartphone on the other hand launched with a 2 year old OS (Gingerbread), was upgraded to a 1 year old OS (ICS) in the middle of this year and with any luck we may get this springs (Jelly Bean) update in Q1 next year (probably after the launch of Key Lime Pie) before being abandoned. I should have learnt from my previous handset that was even worse!

18. Night Rain

That's why I love Nexus. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My iPod Touch 1st gen (yeah, really old I know...) and it's kinda sad that I can't even have Facebook or Yahoo Messenger app on it because they are not supported (anymore).

19. Mitchell

I have an original Kindle Fire now...

I'd rather get the new Nexus.... I already own a lot of apps I bought for my fire, I can use them on my Nexus if I buy it... I'd love that...

Although the Kindle Fire HD with 4G LTE looks tempting.

20. beyondb1rthday

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm impressed with the iPad mini but not impressed with the starting price. :/