1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steve Jobs Opinions on Gay Friend

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Pat, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Pat

Pat

Saw this online and thought it was really cute :thumbsup:

I've been reading Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs , which came out today, and I was curious to know if the book described any of Jobs' interactions with gay and lesbian friends or employees.

The book does, in fact, discuss Steve Jobs' first encounter with someone gay, and how he handled it, and it happened shortly after February 1974, when Jobs became one of the first fifty employees of Atari.

Jobs developed a reputation at the company for arrogance and body odor, two qualities that made many of the employees want to avoid him. He did find one close friend, however.

I've transcribed this segment by hand, so apologies in advance for any inaccuracies to the original text, or typos:

Not all of his coworkers shunned Jobs. He became friends with Ron Wayne, a draftsman at Atari, who had earlier started a company that built slot machines. It subsequently failed, but Jobs became fascinated with the idea that it was possible to start your own company. "Ron was an amazing guy," said Jobs. "He started companies. I had never met anybody like that." He proposed to Wayne that they go into business together; Jobs said he could borrow $50,000, and they could design and market a slot machine. But Wayne had already been burned in business, so he declined. "I said that was the quickest way to lose $50,000," Wayne recalled, "but I admired the fact that he had a burning drive to start his own business."

One weekend Jobs was visiting Wayne at his apartment, engaging as they often did in philosophical discussions, when Wayne said that there was something he needed to tell him. "Yeah, I think I know what it is," Jobs replied. "I think you like men." Wayne said yes. "It was my first encounter with someone who I knew was gay," Jobs recalled. "He planted the right perspective of it for me." Jobs grilled him: "When you see a beautiful woman, what do you feel?" Wayne replied, "It's like when you look at a beautiful horse. You can appreciate it, but you don't want to sleep with it. You appreciate beauty for what it is." Wayne said that it is a testament to Jobs that he felt like revealing this to him. "Nobody at Atari knew, and I could count on my toes and fingers the number of people I told in my whole life. But I guess it just felt right to tell him, that he would understand, and it didn't have any effect on our relationship."

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2012 at 04:54 PM ----------

I wrote none of this. lol.

2. Lewis

I love this quote, so true.

And what a great story too!

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Steve hand picked Tim Cook as his successor at Apple. Tim Cook, the CEO of one of the 5 largest companies in the world... is gay :slight_smile: I think that's pretty cool.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^ Beat me to it!

5. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you mean of of the five largest companies in the world? Apple is THE largest company in the world.

Would make you proud, firstly because Tim Cook is gay, and secondly, because I love Apple.

6. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I wonder how many crazy, messed up angry Christians are dumping their ipods, iphones, ipads and imacs in the trash because Apple is now part of the homosexual agenda. Might be a good time to go dumpster diving in any of the bible states. Har har har!

---------- Post added 29th Oct 2012 at 01:22 PM ----------

iOS 6 includes emojis featuring gay and lesbian couples – MacDailyNews - Welcome Home

Read some of the comments. These are the people we share the planet with.

#6 ArcherySet, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012
  7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was being safe. I thought I remembered reading that they'd been shuffling back and forth between 1st and 2nd but i haven't kept track. In any case, Cook seems to be doing a really good job.

8. Ticklish Fish

List of comments I "Like":

and then LOL on the Christians are minority and persecution complex. whut?

9. Ridiculous

Apple is the most valuable company; whether that means the largest would depend on who you ask. They aren't the largest producers and they don't have the highest sales (they just sell fewer things for an inflated price :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

You can't use technology if you are a homophobe. Alan Turing pretty much invented computing and he was gay. Apple's CEO is gay. Bill Gates donated half a million dollars to efforts for legalising marriage equality. A transgender woman designed microchip processing techniques in the 70s that formed the backbone for today's technology.

10. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

This is all so AWESOME!

I am a total nerd/geek whatever. It is so cool to know about so many people in technology that are gay :slight_smile: YAY!

11. burg

i wound love to see them attempt 2 make there own pads.

12. Caudex

Caudex Guest

You'll note most technological industries tend to have lots of young members and are more democratic in general.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

They would probably just pray until one appeared. And then they'd pray again when it did appear, but they forgot to ask for an operating system and applications.

14. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

This is an internet meme just waiting to be created. What would a 'Christian Approved' smart phone look like? What features/apps would it have?

Perhaps "ISin", an app in which you input your daily sins, and measures your repentance through a series of questions. A prayer counter that records the length of time you spend in a kneeling position? A gay therapy app? A rapture check list?

A camera filter which ensures your 'innocent kids' are uploading age appropriate pictures to their friends/facebook? Perhaps a 'religious protest sign designing' app?

#14 ArcherySet, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012