1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this Firmware Mac's speak of? O_o

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by SecretSheik, Nov 3, 2012.

1. SecretSheik

Out Status:
    A few people
    Pretty much the long story short, my brother doesn't update like he is suppose to on his macbook-pro and he needs a certain firmware for his college laptop computer for everything to be installed like updates on everything. I have a regular macbook and this never happened to me. o-o;;;;;;; I am not 100% tech fancy on this, but if anyone does know about this stuff and how important it is required it would be great to know. :help: He reinstalling it over and over again and it just won't work. It's so weird.

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Generally on a computer (PC or MAC), you don't update firmware (sometimes called BIOS for Basic Input Output System) unless you are having a problem. The firmware is the special software that gets the computer started. It's what initializes all the critical hardware (system memory, video, keyboard, hard drive controllers...) and preps the system for the bootloader. The bootloader is more complex, it loads the files for your operating system into the appropriate places in memory, then starts the operating system (Windows, MacOS, Linux, BSD...)

3. Mitchell

Mac's don't have a BIOS. They have an EFI...

I've done firmware updates on my mac before, it's routine.

On the top left of your screen, click the apple, then there is an option that will let you update your Mac. I forget what it is exactly. You will then be able to update your firmware, and your Mac OS X.