1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earbuds/ In-Ear Headphones Suggestions

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by castle walls, Nov 5, 2012.

1. castle walls

I can be a bit long winded so I’ll start off with this

TL;DR: I want a pair of earbuds that are roughly 100 USD that can handle some abuse. Thanks!

I looked at some old threads and didn’t see what I was looking for so I made this one

I’ll try to include as much info as possible. I tend to break earbuds and headphones pretty easily. Lately, I’ve been buying the cheap $10 or $20 ones and they break pretty quickly. Durability is really important to me. I tend to be a bit rough with my earbuds (putting them in my pockets, throwing them in my bag, etc) so that probably doesn’t help. I don’t want to spend over $200 because I think that is a bit much to spend on headphones that I don’t need for work. I’d rather donate my extra money to the less fortunate (no offense to anyone that spends more. I use to do so in the past). I’d prefer the cost to be roughly $100 but I’ll go as high as $200.

I’ll be using these headphones every day. I travel often so I’ll be using them on buses, trains, and the occasional airplane. With some cheap headphones, it can be easy for the people around you to hear the music you listen to. It would be great if I didn’t have that problem.

I listen to a variety of different music but bass is really important to me. I mostly listen to rock, rap, hip hop, a little dubstep and pop music. If they sound great playing music like Shake it Out by Florence + the Machine, Wicked Game by The Weeknd, Welcome Home by Radical Face, Too Close by Alex Clare, Apologize by OneRepublic, Control by Alexisonfire, and California Love by Tupac and Dr. Dre they would be awesome.

Also it’d be great if they had a mic since I listen to music on my phone but I can live without it. This isn't a big deal to me.

I was told that urbeats by Dr. Dre sound decent and are hard to break but I've heard a lot of terrible things about beats by Dr Dre and I'm wary of products that are so closely associated with celebrities. I'm sure I could get a better deal for my money.

I know I'm asking for a lot, especially for around $100. I'm completely willing to sacrifice sound quality for durability (I don't really have much of a choice now do I? :lol:slight_smile: I really don't want to buy them and have them break in 2 months. I’m asking this question now so I might be able to catch them on sale for the holidays. Thanks!

2. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Go look at the klipsch s4 series. I've had two pair, best earbuds I've ever had hands down. They sound fantastic and are fairly durable. Cnet.com has a great review of them on thier website.

3. CamaroBlack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I heard bose headphones are very good they say there pretty durable and block out the noise around you so you can hear your music better they have 2 models on their site for what your looking for one for music at $99.95 and one with a control for volume/track skip when your playing off your phone at $129.95 and yes they do have a mic I don't know if both have it or if its only the $129.95 but yeah if your gonna spend a hundred dollars on headphones I'd get those I'm actually thinking of buying a pair myself to listen to my music when I start hitting the gym next month.

Here is the link if you wanna check them out.

Bose IE2 Headphones - Audio Headphones - Bose Headsets and Headphones

4. darlig ulv

Urbanears have good sound and even an extra jack on the side for shared listening.

5. CTJ

CTJ

O.O $200 on headphones seems excessive.

I dont know if SkullCandy exists in the states, but i stand by them. They're in ear, so others cant hear your music, the music quality is great and they're incredibly durable. I tend to only have to replace them because i lose the rubber in ear part. They've only ever cost me between £10-£25, so thats what around $15-$35? i'm not 100% on the exchange rate, but still its alot cheaper.

6. rainbowbear

rainbowbear Guest

I agree with this, SkullCandy earbuds are wonderful. I kill earbuds in less then a month normally and these tend to last me around a year (due to losing the rubber part on the ear) or more. They cost anywhere for about ten to one-hundred dollars, depending on the model. I seriously suggest these. Also, they're really good at blocking noise out as well. :icon_bigg

7. Colin S

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To elaborate on the precious posts about skulcandy I currently have a pair that are literally steel-plated so its nearly impossible to break them c:, this is a official product not a custom or anything, the sound quality is superb and noise cancelation is second to none.

They're also only about $35.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have these headphones and they are great! If you have a phone with a headphone jack, these headphones can be used as a phone headset too! They also have volume control.

9. Tildeunderscore

10. AAASAS

Apple head phones and some Samsung/Sony product are pretty decent. I break earbuds typically in 2 weeks because I listen to so much music and abuse them so much, plus I take them with me everywhere I go. However I've just given up on earbuds and went back to my huge ear muffs. They're the best quality, and last the longest. I was sick of buying earbud pair after earbud pair.

I broke two pairs of dres shitty as fucking headsets so do not buy those. Skull candy lasted longer than most other non-electronic name brands. However, I would honestly just go with the high quality name brand ones like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic...etc, if you pay enough you can get ones with gold wiring, better glue, better plastic, just everything better.

My biggest problem is fraying the wires and streching them, second comes the actual ear piece falling apart.

I know you want earbuds, but are the necessary, couldn't you go back to earmuffs? They're the best quality, and are the most durable. You can't beat the bass you get from them.

11. castle walls

Thank you for the responses everyone! I'm probably going to get the Bose earbuds and get a pair or two of the Skull Candy as back ups. If anyone has any more suggestions please let me know.

Earbuds are more convenient for me. I can't put over the ear headphones in my pocket. (Granted, I shouldn't be putting earbuds in my pocket either but still.) I do have a pair of decent over the ear headphones that I use when I'm at home but over the ear headphones usually hurt my head after a few hours. I'm looking for earbuds for when I'm traveling and in-ear are just more comfortable and convenient for me. Although I totally understand why you recommend over the ear headphones

12. vyvance

In-ear

A good list with reviews, frequency response charts, etc...

I only use full-size so I can't recommend a specific pair, but that site is a good resource.

13. Chloeles12

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I used my Apple headphones for over a year, and a few days ago I bought a $9- 9 f***ing dollars for a pair of Skullcandy earbuds. I was stunned; the sound quality and volume is better, they block out sound, and they're so much more comfortable. I can only imagine how good the non-cheapo ones are...

14. tevesh2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have heard that Dr. Dre's in ears are crap. I also have heard that Skullcandy ones are pretty good.

I have only seen these online, but they look really nice, and pretty well built (made of wood) That may seem like its gonna cost a FORTUNE, but these ones I found are not THAT expensive. I haven't heard these phones in person, so I can't say how good they are, but they look solid, and worth the buy. Here's the link. House of Marley USA | Bob Marley Inspired Headphones, Audio Systems & Accessories
    These earphones are in memory of Bob Marley, and I don't hate his music, but I am not a fanboy. I just came across these recently, and they look pretty well made. They are like Dr. Dre's layout (in terms of products, not quality) In Ear, On Ear, Over Ear, you get the point. They have also different buds for different types of music (heavy bass, comfort, etc.) Check it out. Again, I have never personally used them, but someone has to, right? :thumbsup: Anyways, hope you find this usefull :slight_smile:

15. AAASAS

^
    dres are shit, my $10 pair of phillips head phones lasted longer.

16. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to be rather abusive of my headphones, and the only problems I've ever developed with $20 JVC Marshmallow headphones is that I sometimes loose the "marshmallow" if I throw them in my laptop bag, or simply misplacing them. I have had the SAME set of the newer version with the microphone in my pocket, and used almost daily for about a year and a half. I've put a couple of my pairs through the washer and dryer by mistake, and they come out fine.

17. Fox04

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I recently bought the new Earpods from Apple. Cheap and quality hearing :slight_smile: