1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone here use hook-up Apps?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by teluphone, Nov 7, 2012.

1. teluphone

I installed this app recently and feel so awkward using it considering quite a few men immediately chat looking for sex when i kinda am looking for a friend in the first place. I feel like i'm looking at all the wrong places to find someone who can understand the struggles and emptiness i feel most recently

2. CTJ

CTJ

I downloaded one of those apps once and as soon as i logged on it freaked me out and i deleted it. All i can think of with random meet ups is that, with my luck, the first guy i'd end up with will be a serial killer and i'll never be seen again.

3. mattypants

if youre seeking platonic relationships to relate with about struggles, youre going to have a difficult time searching on any app whos primary focus is or sex oriented. youll have better luck trying more social oriented (or even date oriented) apps. There'll still be people looking for sex, but the ratio is much lower.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Please keep in mind that naming any dating service by name is not allowed on EC:slight_smile:

Most apps are very sketchy if you want to meet friends or serious relationships. Not impossible, but your chances are very low. Most people that are on apps will be people in the DL and people who only want sex. The ease and the anonymity of it all just allows those apps to attract more people looking for hookups. Nothing bad about that, but not your best place to look for relationships.

Do you know if there are any LGBT organizations around your areas? Organizations at universities?

5. starfish

I call them ho apps. I use them from time to time. Honestly I mostly just like looking at the pictures.

6. teluphone

i'm honestly a very paranoid person when it comes to chatting with anyone (gay or straight, male or female) especially if a person is a serial killer

well considering Singapore isn't exactly a gay friendly society (we still have a long way to go when it comes to the path of acceptance for the LGBT community as opposed to US), makes me wish for some LGBT organizations to exist

7. Redell

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been on about 15 dates (and I do mean dates! no 'sex dates') from online hook-up sights and apps, and honestly I think they're largely a waste of time. Especially if you're looking for something serious or to make friends.

What you can do to improve your odds though is be really specific and upfront about what you want, that will save you from having to deal with people that just want sex.

Say you're wanting to make friends and don't have a photo of abs or some other part of your body that isn't your face. (And by other part of your body, I mean penis). Be sure about what you want before you sign up to these things or people (the wrong people) will take you for a ride to try and get what they want from you.

There are good people out there, but you have to let them know you're a nice guy too. And you also have to sift through a whole lot of, well, dicks, before you find someone nice, even as a friend.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not dating apps, but dating sites, yes. You just have to know what you want and know how to stay safe. Always meet a partner in public first, and you can, go to your place.

9. teluphone

Never really explored dating sites considering i've always been skeptical knowing someone online first and then meeting them in person in public only to be disappointed they aren't the person they say they are

10. Tombgeek

Tombgeek Guest

I tried one of them, but decided to uninstall it after a while. Not really my thing.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Among nearly every person I've spoken to, they've found that the hook-up aps as well as hook-up sites are a complete waste of time if you're genuinely looking for a friendship or relationship. The apps have their place for people who are looking for casual sex, but I think you'll be sorely disappointed if you meet up with people expecting to build a meaningful long-term relationship with them; the majority of people using those apps are thinking short term, no or minimal commitment.

12. Mogget

Very true. Even the people who claim to be looking for something long-term are usually lying.

13. teluphone

It gets annoying when someone keeps expecting to talk to you about having 'fun' when i specifically state i want a friendship*facepalm*

14. Zillion

Zillion Guest

I think if you play the game right you can come out of it with a friend or two. It may take some time and a lot of sifting though cuz lets face it, guys can be pigs, myself not excluded lol. Just be yourself and be clear on what you want - friends only. If the guy keeps sending you naked body parts and trying to woo you in bed then move on.

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Boy isn't that the truth! I logged into my profile on one site a couple days ago to find that some 45-year-old guy whose profile indicated "long term relationship" as his only interest sent me a message saying "Hello there. Want to play?" I'm getting pretty damn good at my decline button.

16. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the feeling. It seems like on the rare occasions that I open those apps, I'm instantly bombarded with messages from guys old enough to be my father, or even my grandfather wanting to do things with me. Ewww...

17. yeltsin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is not always true guys. My two last boyfriends was from "hook up apps". Why I ended the relationship? The first one was because it was like a distance relationship (sorry for my english) and the second one was because he was a jerk. :eusa_doh:

But It's not only about "play" or things like that. And when I'm looking for hookup, I'm always completely honest about that. I never ever talk with a guy searching for friendship and then start talking about "let's play"? LOL

Don't generalize. :bang: