1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TheUndiscovered, Nov 16, 2012.

1. TheUndiscovered

Does anyone have windows 8? I've seen some of it on commercials and it looks a lot like the new xbox dashboard to me. I think it looks stupid and will just be problematic since it's such a big change.

2. theMaverick

I bought Windows 8 on the day it came out, so I guess it's been about a month now. At first it was nice because it was different. However, I soon found out that without a touch screen, the OS is difficult to navigate. It doesn't make much sense with a mouse input. On a touch screen, I think it would be decent. Yesterday I made the switch back to Windows 7, and I'm so glad to have 7 back.

3. TheUndiscovered

I'm glad I didn't get it..I don't know what Windows was thinking I guess they thought the change would bring a new audience. In my opinion they should've made it exclusively for touch devices

4. Neutrality

Our professor made us incorperate 1 windows8 client and 1 windows 2012 server into our test networks....I hate them both so much :_:

5. Kso1995

I have had windows 8 for about a week now, and even though my new laptop doesn't have a touch screen I still enjoy it a lot. All my programs are compatible with windows 8; mainly my antivirus (Kaspersky AV 2013), steam which I can use through the desktop menu and all of its games, minecraft, and pretty much everything else.

6. theMaverick

It definitely should be for touch screen only....in fact I'll never buy windows again. Next computer will be a MacBook. That's mostly driven by school, and design needs, but I'm tired of windows and their games.

7. Mitchell

I haven't tried it yet... I don't know, I have mixed feelings about it.

I may upgrade... but not sure yet.

8. caramba2654

I dunno. I have mixed feeling about that. Stepping out of the classic sure is hard to get used to, but I think that after some time people will get used to it.

I had that same feeling when I upgraded from XP to 7. I felt like everything was different and weird. Now look at me: I like the round start button more than I liked that rectangle before.

And as long as I can easily locate myself in the computer, I'm okay. That's the only reason I don't like Macs: I never know where I am. And, although it's supposed to be an advanced system of some sort, it's kinda bland. I mean, they could make the GUIs prettier to the eye. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. SunSparks

:O I UPgraded to Win8 :slight_smile: To be honest, I don't understand why people don't like it so much. I'm on a tradition laptop and I have no trouble getting around. I really love the performance bump and the overall look of it. Granted, I am a techgeek but its really great. I used keyboard shortcuts to get around Win 7 and its no different in Win8. Personally, I think if you have a really open mind, you'll love it! I upgraded the second day it came out and am still using it and still loving it :slight_smile:

10. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Yeah, It's like living in some sort of IT hell! The new 2012 features are great but the interface...well you know. Sucks.

11. Alan Lewrie

First, screw Windows 8.

Second, this, so much this. ^

They finally get the crap sorted out from Vista (with 7) and then they decide to completely change everything for an Apple vibe (New Coke anyone?). Die screaming Microsoft.

12. SunSparks

Whoa! Win8 is definitely not OSX. Thats literally the biggest insult ever. Don't judge without trying it; I hate people who can't keep an open mind. I've tried OSX - so I can say its horrible. There isnt much that has changed. Some visual and arrangement differences but everything is there and more! Plus there are those dandy performance bumps. And in REAL use, you can actually be more productive on it.

13. All Star

All Star Guest

I still prefer Mac OS X/Linux over any Windows OS.... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. starfish

Yeah I was planning around with Server 2012 the other day. I don't do a lot of Windows work, 2008 still trips me up. It would be easier if it was all consistant, but it seems I had to jump between the old and new interfaces a lot.

I can see some good stuff about metro on servers. The icons can be used to give you the status of the server and services. It would be nice to log and if also the SQL Mgmt console icon is red you know you need to look at it. I don't think anyone has implemented that yet but the potential is there for it.

15. Lilibuth12

I have it, and I personally quite like it. I mean technology is moving on, and everything was new once. I mean its different and can probs be quite weird to start with but it starts up quickly and well I am using it right now, you can download a start button for the poor thing if you want to xD, I find the app store quite fun as well :grin: never had so much fun playing Tetris with my girlfriend in Costa xD
    Only issue with it is for gaming, for some reason my best graphics card wont run properly on it which is driving me crazy -_- aside from that its quite a pleasure to work with :slight_smile:

16. peanutbutter

I am using my windows 8 now, I just bought it a few nights ago. I love it. It's really awesome. I love it! I love windows though. and hate apple.

17. Neutrality

Hmm from reading these post it seems like end users seem to enjoy it, but us IT guys hate it >.>

18. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Alright I've got an idea. All of the IT peeps can organize a protest of sorts outside of the Microsoft headquarters in Redmond and refuse to leave until we get the old start menu back. Down with metro

19. SunSparks

Ok, to all those IT folks, ever try Win+Q or Win+X? The first is basically your start menu all expanded. What can you do with the X? Not only does it come with already handy shortcuts to things like control panel and task manager, but you can change what comes up on win+x really easily. I use this no different, whenever I need to get to something and its not pinned to the taskbar, I press windows button and start typing what I want. I did that in Win7 and now in Win8!

20. giantsteen

Windows 8 is not all bad as everyone says. Yeah, it was made with a tablet ideal in mind, but look at the XBOX 360 dashboard? It looks the same. Are you using a touchscreen for that? It's the same concept, but instead with a keyboard and mouse. I use it on my desktop, laptop, AND tablet and I have no problem using them on either. If worse comes to worse, download a 3rd party start menu program. Windows 8, in terms of speed, however, is SOOOO fast. It's almost amazing.