1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Help

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by CTJ, Nov 17, 2012.

1. CTJ

CTJ

Ok, so i'm pretty bad with technology and i could really use some help. I tried to turn my PC on this morning and it just wont work lol.

Basically, i press the power button, it'll beep twice and then turn itself off. A couple seconds later it will turn itself on without me doing anything, beep twice and turn off. It repeated this cycle for about 5 minutes, without anything appearing on screen before i just turned it off at the socket. Any ideas guys?

2. Elicitra

3. CTJ

CTJ

It does sound like that, i've gone to a tech forum to see if they can help. I just know that the kind of people on those forums get pissy pretty quickly with noobs who know nothing about computers, so i was hoping someone could help on here :slight_smile:

4. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

What model computer do you have?

5. CTJ

CTJ

Advent DT2313

(specs if needed)
    CPU Intel Core i7-3770 (3.90 GHz)
    Motherboard MS-7798 ver 1.0
    Memory 12GB
    Hard Drive 2TB
    CD Drive DVD±RW
    Video Card nVidia GT630
    Sound Card Integrated Realtek ALC887
    Network Realtek 8111E 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
    Ralink 802.11 bgn USB Dongle 150Mbps

6. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Do you have integrated video you can use? Try removing the video card and trying the integrated video option and see if that gets you anywhere. Sounds like maybe windows was trying to start, and when it fails. Reboots.

7. CTJ

CTJ

everything you just said makes me feel stupid.

Nothing appears on the monitor when all this happens, it doesnt even register anything. If i'm totally honest, i'd rather not go poking around in the tower incase i break something. I'll just have to bite the bullet and take it for repairs.

8. Koan

Koan Guest

Post boot beep codes indicates hardware problems.

Your mainboard has some basic software (called BIOS) controlling access to the hardware. The BIOS uses beep codes to signal hardware problems that prevents the computer from booting up.

In your case, the BIOS is called AMI and the two beep codes indicates faulty RAM:

BIOS Beep Codes

So you should probably have some of your memory replaced. Is your computer still under warranty?

9. Koan

Koan Guest

Now I think of it.... sometimes memory problems are as simple as memory blocks that are not seated correctly in the socket.

So try first to see if the memory blocks are seated correctly in the sockets on the mainboard (or get someone to do it for you).

10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly as Koan says. This is an easy one to do yourself.

With the computer still plugged in, remove the side panel. Grab some bare metal of the case, then unplug the power. This is to prevent you from giving the parts a shock. Usually towards the front of the computer, you will see some small boards about 1 inch high and 6 inches long secured by two plastic clips to the mainboard. Handle these small boards by the edges. TO release them, move the small clips apart. Do that, then push the boards back into the slots firmly and evenly. They should click in place, and the clips will move into the notches on the side.

11. CTJ

CTJ

ive taken the side panel off and all i see is wires and the future, a future where ive broken my baby. I cannot see these small boards and i have no idea what theyre supposed to look like :S

12. Koan

Koan Guest

Take a look at the diagram on page 1-6 in this document:

http://pdfs.icecat.biz/pdf/35398174-1958-manual.pdf

The memory slots are the rectangles labelled DIMM1-DIMM4 in the upper right corner of the diagram.

13. CTJ

CTJ

Using my awesome skills of deduction, i worked out which was my memory and fiddled with it. Its working now. Thanks for your help guys, no one has bothered to answer on the tech forum i asked. I knew i could count on EC :grin: