1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphic Design student computer questions

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by theMaverick, Nov 19, 2012.

1. theMaverick

I'm starting the graphic design program in January, and I have some questions about my personal computer. At this time, I have a Samsung NP-SF511-A02US. I have 6GB of ram. I have an Intel Core i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10 GHz. It's running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. When I bought it, I just needed something to do regular homework (typing, internet use on). Now that I'm starting the graphic design program, I'd imagine that I'll be doing more intensive work on my laptop. My question is, is my system powerful enough to handle what I need it to do? I don't know specifics yet, but I do know that the school uses Macs for the Graphic Design program. I know Macs are the industry standard, they are better for graphic design, and I don't have a problem with getting one, but do I need one now? I will have enough financial aid leftover to purchase a Macbook if need be, but honestly, if I can use my current computer for a while, save myself the $2,000, I'd be fine using my computer that I have. It's only a year old. One of my friends is in a similar program, and the school they attend includes of top of the line Macbook Pro in the cost of their tuition. According to the apple website, the specs are

2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2

That's $2,199.00 base. My computer only cost $500.00. So, whats the verdict? Can my computer handle it for now, or do I need to spend the ridiculous amount of money to get a Mac right now?

2. Ridiculous

Apple computers are not better for graphical processing than other computers. This used to be true, like 15 years ago, when their architecture was more optimised for common graphics manipulation operations. However these days they use the same components as other brands and as such there is no difference. Yes they seem to be industry standard, but this is just a leftover from this previous generation, not for any actual benefit they bring.

Unless you are doing heavy 3D rendering than I shouldn't think you'd have any problem with your current computer. If you need something better, you can get the same specs as you've listed for less if you go with another brand other than the Mac...

3. theMaverick

Well that's certainly good to know. I've always wanted a Macbook, but I don't really want to spend 2k on it right now, when I have a decent computer. I want one eventually, but this'n is paid for. And I would have to buy the Macbook with loans, and just ugh, I don't want to do that really. Once classes start, i'll check out the Macs they have on campus, and see what the big deal is (never used one) and maybe talk to some people, and then see. I generally hate windows, I love my iPhone and iPad, but I also hate throwing away perfectly good things for something newer and more expensive.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is true, but many schools require it because they use a system that only works on the mac platform. I know that at my school, all graphic design majors are required to have a mac or they cannot be in the program.

5. theMaverick

I just checked and they have no requirements for the graphic design program. At least not that they have listed anywhere. But the GD page only talks about Macs...I'll talk to my advisor about it. I guess they would know.

6. Ridiculous

Yeah I'm not sure what the whole 'Macs only" in education thing is about either. There is no decent Mac-exclusive design software (everything worthwhile is cross platform), so it's just another artificial standard.

7. theMaverick

That's kinda what I have seen. The Adobe suite is all cross platform. I guess I'll make that decision sometime next year for sure, but thanks for the info. :grin:

8. All Star

All Star Guest

Now I understand what you were asking me in the VMs. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    No, your computer will be fine as long as you're not required to have a Mac. Anything good is cross platform, eg. Adobe Photoshop. Actually, I own it for Windows and Mac, and there is no difference. You have a really good PC, stick with it, unless you are required to have a Mac.

9. BudderMC

The way I understand it is that like others have said, unless it's "required" you have a Mac or you really want one, I wouldn't bother getting it. Most programs work on multiple OS's, and you can always check with your program to see what you're using. As for if what you're using will work with the specs you have... you'll need to see what program you're using, of course. Odds are you'll be able to handle it though (maybe not great, but it should run).

If you do need something better specs-wise, you could just get another PC with better specs. My laptop is running specs similar to the ones you listed on that Mac and IIRC it was in the range of a little over $1000. Much cheaper.

10. theMaverick

My only problem with buying a new PC instead of a Mac, if I have to buy something new, is that now, whatever I buy will come with Windows 8, and I tried Windows 8 and I absolutely hated it.

---------- Post added 20th Nov 2012 at 10:56 AM ----------

Alright great :grin: Thank you! I feel alot better knowing I don't have to spend $2,000 just because my computer is decent enough. I will be talking to my adviser soon and I will ask him/her as well.

---------- Post added 20th Nov 2012 at 11:23 AM ----------

Just looked. Dell still supports Windows 7 for non touch screen devices!!!!!! YAY!

11. yeltsin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    2,200? That's expensive. You don't need a hardware so expensive. I use Macbook Pro for Graphic Design and it was not 2,220. Actually was $1,200. You can purchase with little discounts at the Apple Site Educational Program (I bought my one using this link) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Apple Store for Education - Apple Store for Education (U.S.)

It's for USA store. But all Apple Store (online) have the same link. Just go to Apple Store page and search for Educational Program :slight_smile: (!)