1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steampunk - Technology, Artistry, & More

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by PsychStudent91, Nov 27, 2012.

1. PsychStudent91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I made reference to Steampunk in my introduction thread and had a few people inquire as to what it is, so I figured I'd enlighten those who don't know. I put this in technology because, though it focuses on steam technology, that is STILL a form of technology :slight_smile:

Anyway, so here goes...

Steampunk refers to many things, though it most often centers on a combination of technology and romance. In its most common form, it refers to a blending of clothing styles and attitudes/values of the Victorian era with that of steam technology, clockwork, etc. An example a friend pointed out, which is accurate, is the style of machinery that can be seen in the movie Wild Wild West, featuring Will Smith. Check it out for some Wild West-inspired Steampunk machinery.

It is an art form, as well, and features many interesting creations using gears and the like. Pinterest, especially, has a large collection of Steampunk art, clothing, and the like. If you can find me on Pinterest (I won't tell my username here), I have a board which features some of my favorites. The following is a link to a website featuring some Steampunk creations, and might I say they are spectacular: The Steampunk Workshop | Technology & Romance - Fashion, Style, & Science

For more information on Steampunk, check out the Wikipedia page: Steampunk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - I know, I know, it is Wikipedia, but it is actually quite reliable!

So, does anyone else like/love/embrace/exude Steampunk style? :lol:

2. Dodonnas

Dodonnas Guest

I am mildly intrigued by the whole thing, but the only real steampunk "experience" I've had is playing Arcanum a very long time ago. The atmosphere was very fascinating and I wish I could locate more steampunk related games.

3. PsychStudent91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've not played that game, and am now going to search for it! I understand completely, the lack of steampunk-related games is somewhat sad. There need to be many more in the making/available. Maybe we'll get lucky and there'll be something in the near future. :eusa_danc

4. speedboy3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If your looking for a good steampunk game then go with Dishonored. It has alot of cool technology in it and has a little magic as well.

5. Dodonnas

Dodonnas Guest

You are like the millionth person to tell me to get this game but I have been told it's really not that good so I don't know!

I should also note I have a Rainbow Dash Steampunk poster in my bedroom :wink:

6. speedboy3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It all depends on what kind of game you're looking for. If you want the stealthy assassination type of game then Dishonored's a good fit even though it could be a little longer. Im on my third playthrough of it and Im still not bored of it.

Btw kudos to you for the RD poster :thumbsup: i've been meaning to get one but I havent got around to it yet.

7. I was actually working on writing a steampunk story of my own. But I put it off for a good while though.

8. Neutrality

I want a steam punk house soooo bad

9. Pyrotactick

If I could wear steampunk clothing, have a clockwork arm, a diesel-punk mech, and a steampunk air pistole...then I'd be accomplished, heck...I'd freakin crossdress if I could wear steampunk clothing without awkward looks! I'm more into cyberpunk, dieselpunk, and a little bit of clockwork. Quick question: What other "works" or "punks" are there?

10. Dodonnas

Dodonnas Guest

Have actually been talking with a friend about working on some steampunk clothing...with any luck, I could strut about town like a real boss.