1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lag

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by kizza111, Nov 29, 2012.

1. kizza111

I'm playing Diablo 3 on my MacBook Pro, it's the most basic 13 inch 2012 model. When the game get's a bit more active & i'm doing lots of different attacks to loads of enemies, it starts to lag a bit. I don't think it's a problem with my internet because I have BT Infinity (pretty much the best internet you can get in the UK).

So it's left me thinking that it's either I need more RAM, or the fact that I don't have a dedicated GPU, just "Intel HD graphics". Do you guys think it'll be worth upgrading the RAM (4gb to 8gb) or is it just going to be due to my low graphics processing capability...

Thanks for any help! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 29th Nov 2012 at 10:53 PM ----------

Oh, it's also slower and less responsive for a little after I close the game, if that gives anyone anymore indication.

2. caramba2654

Have you optimized your options in the game? Like, disabling anti-aliasing and such?

3. Ridiculous

Internet latency (lag) is easy to distinguish from low performance or stuttering on your machine. If things still animate smoothly but stop acting properly (i.e. characters stop and just do their idle animations instead of moving around) then that is a problem with your connection, as the game is no longer receiving instructions so it just goes to to the default animation.

Poor hardware performance on the other hand almost always results in a low framerate or stuttering (everything stops for a split second, and perhaps when it resumes it is as if that moment still happened but you didn't see it happening - it just wasn't displayed).

I'd say that it's probably mainly down to the GPU underperforming. Low framerate isn't going to be caused by insufficient RAM. Integrated GPUs aren't the best when it comes playing modern games.
    However the drop in responsiveness after your close it does indicate a RAM issue, as it is probably swapping out system resources while you play to make room for the game, and then having to swap them back in after you are finished. If you have more RAM it would be able to keep everything and not have to wait and drop responsiveness afterwards while things are moved back.

As caramba said try dropping down all of the graphics options as low as possible to see if it makes any improvements. If it does, then you can try increasing them one by one until you find which one(s) have the most impact.

4. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    You need to upgrade your laptop in general.

RAM is great for memory intensive purposes (games, simulations, multitasking), but when it comes to game rendering, upgrading RAM will not see much improvement. A Dedicated graphics card and a decent CPU (2nd gen i5 MIN) are necessary to run games on a laptop.

If it is your latency, ie the number next to your skill bar, than that is a network problem. The only remedy to this is a better connection, whether it be changing from a wireless to a wired connection, changing the server you play Diablo on or upgrading the speed of your internet.

5. kizza111

Thanks everyone!

From the responses so far I can tell you it's definitely not an internet/server issue, as ridiculous said - the game seems to stutter i.e when i click on the enemy to do the last move that would kill it, it stutters, and then suddenly there's a bunch of gold and stuff where it was before. Plus it nearly always only happens around the defeat of a large group or a large enemy.

Caramba, I have not edited my graphics settings or anything, I'm always reluctant to lower them :frowning2:. But I guess i'll give it a shot if it gets worse - as it is the stuttering only lasts about a second or two, which I think I prefer over lower graphics settings. I have no idea what anti-aliasing is though?

And INTJ, I don't think you can upgrade the GPU on a MacBook Pro can you? Though I do have an i5 processor (not sure what gen...)

So at the moment the general feeling i'm getting is that upgrading RAM won't make much difference as it's probably a GPU issue, and instead, I should lower some settings. I'll give it a shot!

6. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    When I say "upgrade your laptop" I actually mean "get a new laptop".

The limitations of an Intel Graphics cripple most games and are added to laptops mainly for processing videos. Gaming will require a more intensive graphics card in general.

Lowering the settings in Diablo will see some improvement, but honestly you will be better off purchasing a brand new laptop. Fortunately for you Christmas is around the corner and laptop prices are really cheap. My current laptop that can actually run Diablo set me back about a $1000. It would now sell for about $300-$400 (and it's barely a year old).

7. BudderMC

Anti-aliasing is basically the process of making rough edges on images/figures/whatever smoother. So it just makes the whole game world look prettier. In Diablo, if you go into your options there's a tick-box or drop-down menu or something that lets you change how much it is.

Definitely change your graphics though. Fiddle with the options. My computer is pretty solid for gaming and I was having issues with Diablo as well... started by setting everything to the lowest possible to improve the framerate, then increasing little things here and there to improve the look of the game until you find a balance you can live with. If you start low and work up it'll seem nicer than starting high and working down, y'know?

I can't remember if there is a framerate display in Diablo, but it might be worth checking for that too.

Also, playing in windowed seems to run faster than playing fullscreen, and playing in 4:3 aspect seems to run faster than playing in a 16:9 aspect (from what I've found).

8. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Frame rate checker is ctrl+r. It appears in the top right corner :slight_smile:

Also windowed mode will tend to play games a little more smoother because the graphics card doesn't have to render at full resolution. Windowed Fullscreen is perhaps the worst setting you could put it on.

9. Ridiculous

Not necessarily.. depends on how the process and GPU fit together in the graphics pipeline. Windowed mode can give the game more threads to work with as it gives the OS more control over the process. Windowed mode also typically makes the GPU disable some features that it only supports when in fullscreen mode.
    Most of the time it will be worse than in fullscreen, but you really just have to try it to see.

10. Artemicion

I play Diablo 3 on my old 2009 Macbook Pro...with a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB graphics card. Hooked up to a 23" monitor lol...but still squeezing out about 12~18FPS I'm horrible, but I'm making do with lower settings, but I'm used to the low performance by now.

But my settings are 1354x762 (16:9 widescreen). (this has a lot to do with performance as well)
    No letterbox,
    no vertical sync,
    left the max foreground and max background as defaults.

Texture quality is HIGH.
    No shadow quality
    Low physics (I found this computationally expensive - frame rate drops like crazy when I change it any higher for me)
    Clutter density OFF.

No anti-aliasing (my eyes T_T)
    Low FX on.

There's apparently something else you can adjust as well in the settings that's not available in the in-game options GUI that can possibly improve framerate as well. Disable Trilinear Filtering which you will have to access this folder:

~/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/Diablo III/

and find D3Prefs.txt

then search for the line that says "DisableTrilinearFiltering"

and change the 0 to a 1. Save and quit.

Try loading up the game again :slight_smile:.

(Also, I've played on my windows side as well, but I've found that the Mac OS side seems to run smoother ever since the second patch)

11. kizza111

INTJ, regarding getting a new computer, I don't think that'll happen. I don't really have any interest in a windows computer, and getting a new, higher-spec mac is simply out of my price range & they never really get cheaper during the holidays anyway. I have thought of getting a new windows one for gaming, but I think for the amount I actually game on it (I'm mostly an xbox kinda guy, though that may just be because I was brought up on it & it has the specs to run games like bf3) I can't really justify it. I'll just have to make do with the games my current laptop manages with for now.

I'll give lowering the settings a go... What exactly would low physics do? I mean for something like battlefield where the buildings get damaged I could see what would happen but on diablo what can you really change with the physics of it? And yeah, armiticion, I think i'd keep the texture high too...

12. Harve

Today I learnt that people actually use Macs for gaming.

Crazy.

13. Ridiculous

I've never played it but it looks like (Diablo III - Physics System Demonstration - YouTube) it comes into play quite often when you break stuff, and used to simulate cloth movements, and to animate enemies flopping around after you kill them. Lowering it probably makes the simulations progressively less accurate.