1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inverted controls?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by lexi, Dec 5, 2012.

1. lexi

lexi Guest

Do you guys play inverted controls, or "normal" controls?

I Play Xbox, and inverted comes more naturally to me :slight_smile:

Sorry not sure if this is the right place...I figured it counted as entertainment :slight_smile: )

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I assume you mean "inverted" in the sense of pushing down on the stick making the character go up and pushing up making them go down when it comes to things like aiming in first-person shooters and flying in games with flying mini-games?

I used to play with inverted controls, because that was the default setting in some of the earliest games I played, so it was what I got used to. Then I played Metal Gear Solid 2 and couldn't figure out how to invert the controls while aiming during the training mini-games, and that forced me to get used to non-inverted controls. Now I use non-inverted, and frankly, I'd never go back; it's just easier being the default.

3. Gekko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Normally I don't play lots of fps, but when I do, I play default. When I play 2 fps, or anything with an aiming system within a short time, and one is normal and the other inverted I get really confused :frowning2:

4. vyvance

Inverted when I use a controller, but non-inverted with a keyboard and mouse.

5. SkyTears

My 1st "game" was playing with my dad's flight simulator. (He use to fly planes) So I got use to the controls being inverted and it just stuck with me. Now whenever I play games with my boyfriend and we pass of the controller we are always screwing up because he plays non-inverted.

6. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    With regards to up and down, I usually stick with the game's default settings, but I prefer inverted controls for some reason. Probs has something to do with old flying games where Down makes you go up.

Except when I'm trying to swivel the camera; then it gets confusing. Does Left make the camera pan left, or does it swing the camera to the left, making me look right? I have no clue, and my preference tends to be the opposite of the game's default setting.

7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I couldn't play anything with inverted controls if my life depended on it, dunno how all you guys do it ;-;

8. Pyrotactick

I use both! Challenges yourself! Because sometimes your just too MLG for "Veteran" or "Legendary" standards!

9. barca

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Inverted with controllers and uninverted with mouse.

Inverted makes more sense to me when using joysticks because when you tilt the base of a pivoted stick downward, the end of it should tilt upward. I don't really have a way to think about the mouse so I just move my mouse up to move my cursor up to aim up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

10. SlickyPants

I don't invert when using a mouse and keyboard. I don't use a joystick or gamepad for FPS games. It's a genre I usually ignore on the consoles for the most part.

For flight sims I usually use a yoke. I've never bothered to look and see if they have an option to invert that but I don't see why anybody would do that. Pulling back points your nose up, pushing forward points your nose down. I don't know why anyone would want the opposite.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell yeah, inverted controls!!

I've got a story about that. Everyone around me (literally every-freaking-body) I've played games with uses default except for me. My guess is that it has to do with one of the first 3d games I ever played with camera control, Ace Combat 2. I've always been enamored with planes and flying, so upon finding a demo version of this game, I played the crap out of that one level they give you. Ever since, using "up is down and down is up" has felt much more natural to me than default movement. And I like it that way; it is my link to flying, which will always be important to me. :slight_smile:

12. GayJay

I juist use the game default.
    I play medal of honor get used to its inverted controls then play black ops to and have to learn the normal settings again. So I always do really bad for the first few hours.

Personally I like inverted controls cause most people can't get used to them, and it amuses me. Whereas I find it easy

13. PatyR

No no, I like normal controls better... I think inverted ones are harder :frowning2:

14. FederalJack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I use inverted as well, not sure when or where I picked it up though. Always find it amusing when playing at a friends house when we have to pause and switch every time we pass the controller.

15. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I used to use inverted controls but have played Modern Warfare so much I'm used to the default controls now.