1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nexus 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by castle walls, Dec 9, 2012.

1. castle walls

I'm thinking about getting the Nexus 7 32GB with mobile data. Does anyone personally own this device? What do you think?

2. Night Rain

I don't own it but I say go for it. Too great for its price. There are many things you can do with it (it's a wonderful emulator). Granted if you want to use it at its full potential you should know a bit about Android and mess around with it. If not, The iPad 4 is hands down the best tablet out there (for now).

#2 Night Rain, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. Joey4

I own it. It's my first tablet, or real piece of modern technology for that matter. I'm actually using it to respond to you. I don't have much to compare it to, but I will say that I do enjoy it a lot.

4. Mitchell

I'd love to upgrade and get one. Bluetooth support is great... the screen resolution, the nVidia Tegra processor... nothing bad about it ;-)

5. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I played with Nexus 7 for a bit, I really liked. But my preference is Samsung Galaxy Tab Series.

~Josie

6. Mitchell

Yeah... but the Nexus 7 is a lot for your money.

7. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, they are cheaper and for a quality tablet. For a little more money you getting a lot better tablet in the Galaxy Tab.
    ~Josie

8. Night Rain

Better in terms of what?

9. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Functionality, One of the things that you can do with Galaxy Tab is that you set it up as a remote control there a lot of Samsung specific apps that really useful and the hardware is a bit better too

~Josie

10. Night Rain

You can certainly do that with the Nexus 7. I'm not aware that any Galaxy Tablet that is better than the Nexus 7 hardware-wise (I may be wrong). The N7 can't make phone calls though, but I think it's stupid to use a tablet as a phone in the first place.

11. RainbowMan

I bought my N7 (wifi-only) the first day that it was availalbe to pre-order (shows how much of a geek I am, I guess). I already had a Verizon Mi-Fi, so I effectively have a 16GB 4G version.

I really like it, I also have a first-gen iPad, which I won at a conference (never would voluntarily purchase an Apple product, especially in the last 24 months - their litigation strategy is repulsive!). I have to say that I like the form factor of the N7 better than the iPad - I can carry the N7 around in a pocket, and I have to carry some sort of bag if I want the iPad.

Since I've had Android phones since forever, a N7 also made sense from an economic perspective - one purchase and your apps are available across all your devices from the Play Store. Same thing goes for the iTunes store, so really I think the choice between the iPad mini and N7 is what ecosystem you're already beholden to.

A bit long and rambling but I hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

12. castle walls

I'm a big Android fan. I did briefly look at the Ipad Mini but I think the Nexus 7 is the better deal. I decided to buy the Nexus 7. Thanks to everyone that responded! If anyone has anything else to share about the Nexus 7, feel free

13. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah I have an ipad 2 which i love but its so none portable gets really heavy when reading books I plan on getting the N7 for portability with a 3gb data plan from AT&T .

14. Luke Matt

I have one; they're good :slight_smile:

15. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Got one for Xmas and I love it....typing on it now, I have the 16gb WiFi one and I love i

16. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

I was thinking of getting a nexus 7 to take to class with me because my laptop is pretty heavy and too cumbersome to carry around comfortably. I'm not sure that the seven inch size is big enough though - has anyone tried to actually use it as a laptop replacement?

17. SunSparks

:roflmao: HAHAHAHA! You carry it in your pocket??
    If you look at it value-wise N7 is sold at about the price equal to the manufacturer costs while Galaxy Tabs aren't. Kindles are like that - sold at the price it costs the manufacturer.

Personally, I don't have a use for a 7" tablet but I do have a 10" as its much more useful in taking notes and reading textbooks for school. I have an iPad 2 - only because good android tablets back when i got it were simply nonexistent - and if I were to buy a new tablet now, I would get a N10... so I think N7 is wonderful and definitely one of the best. Oh, and my parents have a Galaxy Tab 7(.1? idk sammy naming) and it does indeed have an IR blaster for using as a remote but I feel the app isnt very useful and its rather a waste of potential. I feel sammy's apps just slow down the system - I'd rather have a pure, silky android.

Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

18. starfish

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and I agree on the size. The 10" tablets are just too big.

Now why I bought it over the Nexus 7. I don't know. If I was to buy now I would go with the Nexus 7.

19. TishonHeart

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a Nexus 7 and I will tell you, I have barely touched my laptop since I got it, it's so much better, all I really use my laptop for anymore is gaming so, yeah, it's worth it.