1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about iTunes reinstallation

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Katelynn, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Katelynn

OK, so I upgraded to the iPhone 4 back in May (couldnt wait for the 5, plus it was a free upgrade with my cell provider), & I already had the 3GS, so I had iTunes installed on my older desktop computer. Last summer I got a new laptop & installed iTunes on it as well. I realized tho, that I could only use my iPhone for changing apps, switching out playlists & apps, etc. on the desktop computer, & that I could only use iTunes on my laptop as a place to listen to music & watch videos. What Im wondering is, how do I uninstall iTunes on my desktop & then get it working so I can fully use it with my iPhone 4 on my laptop? Im concerned that once I uninstall it from the desktop, I wont be able to get it working on my laptop & then if I reinstall it back on my desktop, it wont work for me. Any help in this regard is appreciated, as it is very expensive to call Apple & ask them myself :slight_smile:

2. Koan

Koan Guest

You need to copy your existing iTunes library from your desktop over to your new laptop.

Depending on your computerskills this might be easy or not....

One description is found here: (both for Mac and Windows computers)

How to Sync an iPhone to a New Computer Without Losing Data

By all means remember to back up your phone before you attempt to do this.

(and no - even as someone who works with IT professionally don't find this "solution" particular userfriendly)

3. theMaverick

What I did was found my iTunes music folder and then I copied it to my portable hard-drive. Then on my new computer I downloaded iTunes and copied the music folder to my new hard drive and went to iTunes and added the folder to the library.

4. Jonimarie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So you got the Iphone before you got the laptop? Then it's simply a sync issue. Iphone 4's will only allow you to be synced to one computer at a time. There is no need to copy your playlist from one comp to another, because with the Cloud feature, once you authorize your new laptop to access your itunes account, you will be able to download all you music that way. I have 2 computers, I have iPhone 3GS and my hubby has iPhone 4. He can only sync his iPhone to his work computer becuase it is a work phone, but all our itunes music is on my computer, so from his phone he accessed the itunes store using our account, and went into purchased, and clicked "not on this device" and was able to download any music purchase with our account id. He didn't even have to connect to the comp. The same is done on the desktop and laptop, if you go into purchased, you will be able to download copies of any music you purchased via you itunes account id. But you can only sync to one comp at a time, even though you can put your music on up to 5 devices.