1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frc?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RainbowMan, Dec 27, 2012.

1. RainbowMan

Anyone out there a mentor or competitor in an FRC team? I'm a mentor (won't say which team, obviously!) and can't wait for kickoff! My first year as a mentor. Getting kids involved in this stuff (especially the at-risk ones that I'm working with) is one of the most fulfilling aspects of my life, but it sure is a lot of work!

2. SomeNights

OH man, I saw the post and was like "no way"...but it is!! yeah I was on team _____ and i wanna go back and mentor eventually. When is the kickoff this year?

3. RainbowMan

Jan 5th, should be awesome! I'm a tad bit overwhelmed myself, never done this before. The good news is that we're just a second year team, so expectations aren't too high....yet :grin:

But I'm a fierce competitor by nature. I tried to convince some of my friends that this was a sport, and they kept on telling me why it wasn't and everything was just going in circles.

FIRST Choice this year had IR remotes and receivers, hmmm.....

4. SomeNights

hm...they've done that before....wonder if this means a game with more use of the human player.....

Just remember it's the kid's robot..the problem that we had on our team was the mentor(the lead one really) got way to involved with the actual robot.

5. RainbowMan

Yeah, I'm gonna try to remain fairly hands-off if I can. But I suspect they're gonna need a lot of help. So my Saturdays for the next 6 weeks are shot! :slight_smile:

As well as Friday afternoons at least. The good thing is that my job considers this to be PART of my job, so I don't have to do crazy stuff to get time off.

I also suspect our lead mentor (a guy with about 9 years of experience or so...) may be in the same boat as yours. My role (in my view) is to nurture and let them learn something new every time they come...

#5 RainbowMan, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  6. SunSparks

:O Do my eyes deceive me xD I wouldn't have guessed that I would see a thread like this here! Anyways, I was in an frc team last year and the year before in my high school. It was amazing. Can't wait to see what the game will be this year - I still remember last year building the robot like it was yesterday.

Lol, SomeNights, my team has the opposite problem... the mentors didn't seem to be involved enough - all they did was come and watch us xD It was a lot of work for me and the captain to do everything from school forms and budgeting to organization and scheduling. But it was really really fun!

7. SomeNights

NICE!! how did you swing that one?

We had a crazy schedule...(as you will soon learn) shop open every day from about 2 hrs before school till we decided to call it a night (sometime 5pm, sometimes 5am) and we got to the point where MWF and Sun where non-mentor(student work) days where as TR and saturday were mentor days

8. RainbowMan

Geez, the organization and scheduling is where they need the most help!

On my work performance review, one thing that was mentioned as an area for improvement was organizational skills and task management. Compared to these kids, I could write a book on those topics! (and I suspect it's similar with most high school students).

And how I got work to buy into it was simple - external contribution to stuff like this is a core part of our culture. If only you knew who I worked for, you'd think it odd that's the case. But it is, and it's part of why I didn't get promoted this year - I wasn't doing enough in the "corporate citizenship" aspect of things.

Of course, next year that's going to change - I'm doing this, and now that I'm in the coming out process, I plan to be more involved (more than just attending events) with the LGBT network, etc. I suspect 2013 will be a banner year for me at work :grin:

9. SomeNights

How many students are on team? if you can you need to break them up into the different systems (programming, electrical, hydraulics, pneumatics, Functional(gameplay), Mobility, Other awards, Community outreach)

10. RainbowMan

Yep. already doing the breakup and stuff. Just had an offsite (over winter break) meeting today with the team, went really well. We did it at a library, which really isn't conducive to collaboration, but it worked somewhat well (and we got a lot done!)

One thing that I noticed though - in the game hints, the number 3 keeps on coming up (and Rick Astley was in one of them, so I take it we have to pick things up and put them somewhere), and the size of the drive train kit has been reduced this year. Do you think that means there are going to be 3 alliances on the field at once? That could get really interesting....

11. SunSparks

Lol, every time I see other teams, I get jealous xD They have so much more than we do - more space, resources, people, mentors, etc... like the teams that have people dedicated to planning a trip to a regional... in my team, I did that along with a million others >.< Actually, my team has it tougher than ever before... all our mentors left this year - not because of us but job opportunities...me and the captain left them all the resources we could and only hope they can get things together.

12. RainbowMan

Nah, I wouldn't say that we have more than anyone else :grin:. I'm the jolly fat programmer (what language did you use BTW? We're using Java, which I have no experience in, but oh well...I can learn a new language quicker than kids can!)

We have a mechanical mentor, but some things are beyond his expertise, so we're sorta flying blind on some of this. I can just hope that the game is relatively simple for us.

Why can't you return to your previous school and help out? Go away for college?

13. SunSparks

Yep - my high school is in Los Angeles and I go to college in New York xD
    Lol, my school never even had a programming mentor, not in the 6? years of its existence xD We used C++. We had one lead programmer and an assistant that never actually showed up xD

Oh, however, I was thinking of maybe mentoring more a local high school near my college next year... the only problem is that the school is down a VERY steep hill from my college and the build season is during winter time (which, where I am is dreadful)... so I would need to walk 1+ mile down a hill going there and then - oh the horror - UP the hill... everyday, in the snow xD

14. RainbowMan

I guess you're in upstate NY? Winters down here in the "real" part of the state (you know, where everyone actually lives!) aren't nearly as dreadful. We just get hurricanes from time to time (too soon? :/)!

15. SunSparks

Yep... lol, I guess if you have read some of my previous posts, you could figure out which college I go to xD But i'm not worried :lol:

But I don't think the winter will stop me xD

16. RainbowMan

Alrighty, so bring an old thread to life....

Ultimate Ascent is the game this year. Basically, you shoot frisbees at various levels of goals. The hard part is the end game, where you climb a pyramid. Given the shape of the pyramid (94" wide on each side at the base, with rungs every 30", at an angle of 68 degrees) it would be difficult to get inside of it (you'd need a robot less than 30" tall as not to run into the first rung). Outside, you wouldn't have the advantage of gripping on multiple surfaces. Hmmm.....

17. SunSparks

Yea! I saw the animation yesterday and I was like... the climbing part was going to be fun... lol, my team was freaking out about their computers... apparently someone installed something with an email and couldnt uninstall/ change it w/o the password and this one guy emailed me in full rage and Im just like calm down - im pretty sure (insert captain name here) made the email at the end of last season and just forgot... oh how unorganized my team is xD

18. SomeNights

nah, just keep a low CG and you "could" use slits and a wheel to do it. Well, depending on what the bumper rules are this year *rolls eyes* i need to read the competition manuel.

19. RainbowMan

Well, to bring a REALLY old thread back, we're in a week 2 regional (the NYC regional) and we're not doing too well. PM me for the team number if you want it, but we've got a really complex robot that can fail in a variety of ways, and we've seen all of them.

Particularly when we get two discs in our shooter - we're done for the match if that happens :frowning2: Our climbing has been abysmal in competition, but works OK in practice (of course!). We've got 3 matches tomorrow, I think we've figured out our autonomous and can get 12 points (2 high goals) if we position the robot appropriately (where we need to be on the pyramid means we only get to pre-load 2 discs).

All in all, a most exciting (and exhausting!) 2 days!

20. SomeNights

I might head over to a regional today .....just to see what is going on lol