1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone done a Nuzlocke challenge? (Pokemon)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Shiny Espeon, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Shiny Espeon

Nuzlocke is basically a self imposed hard mode in a Pokemon game. There are only two rules that you have to follow, but they make the games so much harder.

1) You may only catch the first Pokemon you see in an area. If it faints, tough :***:.
    a) Shinies are perfectly fine to catch. I mean, you have about a 1/8000 chance in seeing one, so why should you be punished because it wasn't the first pokemon you saw?
    b) You can also run a dupes clause, where you may skip the first encounter if you already have one of those Pokemon.

2) If a Pokemon faints, you treat it as dead. You can either release them, or put them in a box in the PC designated for your fallen comrades. NO EXCEPTIONS!

I started nuzlocking about five months ago, and now I can't do a regular playthrough of a pokemon game.

If you want more information, just google Nuzlocke. Many people have written about their adventures and even posted comics of their adventures.

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did one a long time ago on LeafGreen. I stopped sometime in the death trap cities all around Saffron City when my Meowth died. Haven't gotten around to another since but I plan to in the future.

3. I have never heard of this before, and I wouldn't be able to give up seeing a Pokemon and not catching it.

4. Night Rain

I find all those challenges stupid and I'd like to play my game the way I want, and I want to enjoy it. But it's fine if you like them though.

#4 Night Rain, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

More or less this. The only time I'll do a challenge like this is if there's some kind of unlockable in-game reward for doing so.

6. Tim

Tim

Nope. Only challenges I've done was a Bug-Only run of all 5 generations.

You'd be surprised how hard Roark is to take out with just Kricketune. >_>

7. OtakuCrazed

Some kid I know started doing this. He never gets off his DS; just plays Pokemon Diamond all. Day. Long. =_=

8. Shiny Espeon

Yeah. It's addicting. As I sit here typing this, I have my VBA emulator minimized, playing a nuzlocke on Emerald Omega Strike. It's this crazy hack, and I had to make it harder because I like challenges.

9. Lark

Lark Guest

I ordered a Game Boy Advance so I can play my old FireRed Game a few months ago, and this is what I'm gonna do first :slight_smile: Sounds challenging, but I'm looking forward to it.

10. Harve

I did this on BlazeBlack. I also added the rule that you can only use each Pokémon Centre and Healer once, with a bonus heal once you defeat a gym.

It was painful. The problem was BlazeBlack, which is FAR harder than the unhacked version of the game. It also enables all 5 hundred and however many Pokémon to be caught, so there's way more variety. And when you have no real control over what Pokémon you're using, that means unpredictability! Basically, BlazeBlack is as hard as an unhacked game simply using normal rules, so when you combine the two...

I still haven't finished it because real life keeps getting in the way of the internet. I hope to never be in this situation again, but if I find a massive gap in my summer I imagine I'll finish it then.

Christ, what a nerdy post.

11. iBlakexo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Since i play Leaf Green on my Mac (VBA) i can have multiple saved files, so i might as well start a Nuzlocke challange! I hope it's not too hard xD

12. mithrandir

I did this challenge on firered, got to the elite four and realised I was going to have to spend hours training to be ready and gave up. I had a pretty kick ass team though :3

13. CTJ

CTJ

I'd never heard of it until this thread, so i googled it and read all of the Nuzlocke comics. They were pretty entertaining, it made me want to give it a go. So i started Black up, which i've never played past the first gym and i'll give it a go. Its terrifying me already, ive accidentally killed the first ive found on the second area and my Patrat (Stuart) has nearly died a few times.

14. mithrandir

Just out of curiosity, as you can find so many pokemon what team have you ended up with? There must be so many combinations that you could have chanced upon, just interested in how good/bad the ones you got are.

15. Harve

According to my trusty notepad document:

Nuvema Town - Tepig > Pignite
    Route 1 - Pidgey > Pidgeotto
    Accumula Town -
    Route 2 - Caterpie > Butterfree
    Striaton City -
    Dreamyard (1) - Natu
    Route 3 - Shinx - DEAD
    Wellspring Cave - Axew, DEAD
    Nacrene City -
    Pinwheel Forest (Outside) - Tympole
    Pinwheel Forest (Inside) (1) - Bellsprout > Weepingbell
    Route 4 - Vullaby

Yeah, I got an Axew with something like a 5% chance. Could have cried when it fainted. FML.