1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad 3 vs iPad mini for uni (college)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by kizza111, Jan 3, 2013.

?

iPad 3 or future iPad mini with retina display for college psychology student?

1. iPad 3

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. iPad mini

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. kizza111

I'll be off to university in September (hopefully) and started thinking about my note-taking system. I currently have an iPad 3 and was planning on using that for my notes, but I'm now unsure whether I should sell it and move to an iPad mini with retina display (when it comes out).

I'll be studying psychology, so I think most of my notes will be typing, not diagrams etc which ill do in one of my note apps (probably Evernote so that it syncs to my laptop and I can then study from that too). I wouldn't be interested in carrying around an external keyboard, I can type pretty much perfectly on my iPad, and almost the same speed as I do on my laptop. So without an external keyboard, do you guys think the iPad mini would be too small for taking notes in psychology lectures - mostly notes, the occasional diagram...

2. Salazar

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2013 at 04:33 PM ----------

If you Want an iPad mini, just hold and iPhone closer to your face.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd go with the Ipad 3. I would get a bluetooth keyboard for either choice though. It makes typing much easier. You will be able to type a lot faster with the bluetooth keyboard.

4. kem

kem

If I were you, I'd use pen and paper. Easy to write and draw. Portable and inexpensive. But between the mini and 3 though I think you should stick with ipad 3, since you are comfortable with it. If you switch to the mini it'll take a while to get used to the smaller screen and keyboard.

5. regime

regime Guest

Personally i think the ipad is already small enough lol. I think the 3 will do :grin: Great field to go in btw hope u enjoy it.

6. Capichino

7. SunSparks

I personally use a 2.... although I'm an engineer so my note taking is almost never typing but more handwriting, diagrams, math problems, etc so its MUCH better to do that on a bigger screen. I also store my textbooks on it so I don't have to carry heavy books. For even typing, Ipad mini would be too small so definitely ipad 3. The people that I know who have 7 in tablets only use it for general browsing and maybe reading but never notes.

Hope that helps ^_^

8. Sacha

Sacha Guest

iPad 3.

9. Zodavva

iPad 3 - I have one and I love it. I would find the iPad mini too small, and it would also really irritate me that it doesn't have retina display - I have really good eyesight so I even see the pixels on Retina 2048*1536 display which annoys me, lol!

10. kizza111

Thanks for all the replies everyone :slight_smile:

Like I said in my original post, I don't really want a bluetooth keyboard. I don't want the extra room taken up in my bag - I know some can be extremely thin but then I don't like typing on them, and the thicker more standard ones take up too much room - my bag's always stuffed to the limit as it is! Besides, I don't type much quicker on my laptop than my iPad so I don't think it'll make much difference.

---------- Post added 9th Jan 2013 at 01:58 PM ----------

I would actually argue that a tablet is more portable - they're thinner and smaller than most notebooks i've ever used. They're also cheaper if you've already got one - I got my iPad 3 for personal use ages ago so continuing to use it for free for notes is going to be cheaper than buying pens and paper all the time.

But yeah, good point about having to get used to it. After some though and all the responses on here I think i'll be sticking with the 3.

---------- Post added 9th Jan 2013 at 01:58 PM ----------

I did say iPad mini with retina display, when it comes out :wink:

11. Naomilly92

I'd say iPad Mini, because I'm a student, and I have one, it's portable, easier to carry, great for taking notes and viewing presentation slides. I have previously had an iPad 2, which also works well, but I prefer the iPad Mini

12. kem

kem

I just want to add that pens and paper cost very little and you probably won't be buying them all the time, and I doubt their cost would surpass that of an iPad. Unless you were using golden fountain pens and Moleskines...
    Anyway good that you chose to stick with your current iPad!

13. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

I love using my 1st gen ipad in class, but I don't think it's good for note taking. Besides, I would imagine most of your classes with have lecture notes and powerpoints online, which make a bigger screen more convenient. Writing down what the professor says that isn't in the notes will actually help you remember it better than typing :slight_smile:

Also, I like using my ipad to look up concepts and more in depth information if I don't understand something. and also to play when it gets boring :grin: