1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim City 5?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MrPotato, Jan 5, 2013.

1. MrPotato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    has anyone ever played the simcity games? i have :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

and am kinda excited for the upcoming simcity game being released later this year... the last one i played was "simcity societies" and i liked it, but over time got over it haha

anyhow, i love these types of games where you get to create cool looking cities and landscapes and stuff ^_^

who's gonna get it?

2. Jameson

I'm totes gonna get it. It's getting a lot of criticism and stuff, which is kinda good cuz people aren't getting super hyped up about it.

I love SC4 but it won't run on my computer >8(

3. SunSparks

I've been following the game since like november... I'm really excited.. I havent played the other games but it looks really fun! I REALLY can't wait [​IMG]

4. MrPotato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WOOt WOOT!!! ^_^ SIMCITY NERDS UNITE!!!!!!

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I loved the real SimCity series...of which SimCity 4 (plus Rush Hour) was the last true member.

SimCity Societies was more of a spin-off of the series, and not a very good one in my opinion.

I'm really hoping the new SimCity will be more in the traditional Maxis Sim vein, with a lot of unique character and depth to it, rather than the gimmicky, generic, childish, shallow experience I've had with recent Sim titles under EA's control, such as SimCity Societies, The Sims 3, Spore, etc.

6. Emberstone

hated simcity societies; it completely missed the point of the games.

I dont know if my computer will run the new simcity; it might, as it says it cant run thesims3, but it runs each released expansion pack, plus 2 stuff packs perfectly fine except for the unattended to pet deformation bug.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a fan of the original SimCity and 2000. Never played much of 3, and didn't like how income was not even a thing in 4. I've got high hopes for 5.

8. MrPotato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmm, i might've missed out on something then... cus the only simcity i played was "societies" i remember thinking that the simcity graphics were old and that alone didn't appeal to me... smh

anyhow... i do plan on getting the 5th game wen it comes out.

9. Ben

Ben

Ugh, I'm mega excited. When I was choosing a new laptop, I made sure it would run the new SimCity. Haha.

10. Silverbells000

Simcity games are pretty fun, I myself am not very good at running a city of sims but it's fun. Does anyone else build a good city and then build a city to destroy? Good way to get anger out.

11. kellymporta

Although I do like simcity and still play simcity 4 sometimes, I really don't have high hopes for simcity 5. The first thing that bothers me, is that for some reason the graphics still seem a bit cartoonish and childish for me. The second thing that bothers me is that the game won't include subways. That means I should expect a dumbed down version as in simcity societies, or a senseless amount of expansion packs like in the sims series.

Finally, the thing that bothers me the most is the always online restriction. For me this is the worst possible type of DRM they could have come up with. This is a deal breaker for me.

12. Trailblazer

I think the game will be great, I'm a HUGE fan of almost everything by Maxis, but I will be torrenting it. I don't like EA, and refuse to give them business. I also don't like how even though this game is single player, you still have to have a constant internet connection just to play, which is entirely for DRM reasons. Screw that.

13. Emberstone

enjoy the game not being playable. the servers will not recognize you as having bought it, and will recognize you as having torrented it. your game will be banned before you even can play it.

you legitimise why EA has to use DRM.

14. SkyDiver

I absolutely love the games, ESPECIALLY Sim City 4.

The only thing that really, really pisses me off however is how a long commute causes a building to look abandoned, dirty and decrepit. Not realistic at all, and it makes sections of your city look ugly as hell. I sure hope this changes in 5.

15. Harve

Did you ever use this? The description implies it's about increased transport options, but that's only what the 30th update is about. At its heart is improving the shoddy pathfinding abilities of the Maxis version. SC4 is one game that is many times better as a result of its community.

I can almost guarantee that it will be possible to play it illegally. While there's always a first time for everything, I can't think of a prominent game that hasn't been cracked no matter how extreme the DRM. I suppose they have almost made it like an MMORPG in terms of piracy-control. I'm optimistic that it'll be crackable though, and with such extreme DRM measures, demand for the torrented version will be higher than ever.

For me at least, it's torrenting it or I simply won't play it.

16. Emberstone

how aware are you of the level of internet connection involvement in the game actually is? you dont have any game saves, and there is no modding, because the game handles all saves in a cloud system. You can choose to have a region that is locked so that only you can build cities in it, instead of sharing it with friends for competitive/supportive place.

basically, you cant torrent it and play because the game will register its unique info with the cloud server, as well as identify your computer. guess what happens when the servers notice that the same game is being played by half a dozen different players on different systems? BANNED!

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's possible to use DRM without requiring an internet connection at all times, seeing as it can be a finicky beast and possibly stop you from playing at all if you have to cut your service for any reason.

And besides, it's EA. The difference between heavy pirating and full legitimate purchases for them is $10 billion or $11 billion, if that.

18. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am!! I love the sim city games. I still play sim city 4 and I bought sim city societies but I didn´t like it that much. From what I´ve read this new sim city is going to be more like the previous ones, like sim city 4 and sim city 3000.

Im really exited

19. Harve

I'm not saying that they won't finally manage to prevent piracy happening, but I'm sceptical regardless. If it can be modded/cracked to have an offline save, which I'm sure someone will at least try to do, then it's more than possible to play it. And requiring an internet connection has been bypassed before, Assassin's Creed II for example (and others I'm sure), but this is the first with cloud storage of saves to my knowledge.