1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skyrim

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Aniot, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Aniot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Anyone here is addicted to this game? Isn't he fucking awesome???

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I love Skyrim, though I haven't been able to play it for several months now. I remember I was still deciding which 'side' to join between the Imperials and the Nords.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I sided with the imperials on finding that the Nords were racist sumbags.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a sucker for Morrowind, which was two Elder Scrolls ago and IMO the best one ever. But Skyrim is pretty freaking nuts. The shouts and combat system are really great*, and the world is so lifelike with cause and effect for pretty much everything.

I joined the Legion too against the Stormcloaks. I'm all for Nord nationalism, but they wanted to break up the empire even further. They'll need all the strength they can get to fight off the Thalmor.

*With one caveat: I don't like how you take damage through blocks. WTF is that? They were on the right track when Oblivion improved on Morrowind's admittedly crappy system, but it's sort of a sideways move. Mount@Blade has the best melee system I've used yet, and I haven't gotten over why every sword game doesn't play like this one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#4 Argentwing, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I've had the game since it came out but only just got really into it recently. Finished the main quest just today, currently using a level 27 (i think) imperial battlemage. Is there any news on if/when they'll release the DLC for it for PS3 yet? Last I heard they were having trouble getting it to work on ps3 and delayed it forever or something. >_>

6. jvn95

I just got off of playing this! I love skyrim.

The music is amazing, the weapons are awesome, the landscape is to die for, the missions are endless, the voices sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger, and the plot is cool.

I sided with the Imperials, I like structure and the nords seemed like they need it really bad.

Annnnnnd I'm a werewolf.

7. Gerit

I love this game so much. So many hours wasted on this game.

I absolutely hate the Stormcloaks. Ugh. Not to mention how depressing Windhelm is (although the house is much cheaper). The Imperials are the better of the two by far; they at least want to instill order and law so that Skyrim can be a peaceful and structured land.

8. Kyllani

Like shiromay, I've had this game since release but have only recently gotten into it. I left the main storyline pretty quickly and have been doing Winterhold's bidding. I mostly run around healing my companion because I am addicted to healing(if the game doesn't have a healer class, 95% chance I won't play). I also enjoy just running around harvesting plants and such for alchemy. Now I think you've inspired me to play!

9. Gallatin

I'm just about to play this game. I just got it for Christmas and I've been addicted ever since. I haven't done much in the main quest. Mainly I've been running around doing quests for the various different factions (Dark Brotherhood, Thieve's Guild, etc.).

10. Emberblaze

Heh, man I got Skyrim and Tales of Graces f together at the same time for Christmas. I thought I was gonna be totally addicted to skyrim so I played tales of graces first....

Maaaaan, let's just say, I've got like 35 hours in tales of graces and probably like 4 hours in skyrim... Tales of Graces is ADDICTING!

Skyrim is fun though!

11. MidnightOwl

Skyrim is crap. Enough said.

12. Gerit

Why come to a thread about a video game just to say that it is crap? I smell a troll.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed with the poster above mine; not enough said. Why don't you like it?

14. MatthewJS

I LOVE the series sincs Morrowind. I can use the kinect which is better! Im an argonian

15. MrPotato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I barely got the game a couple weeks ago and hadn't really played it because I thought it was going to be different... I really thought it was going to be a MMORPG but turns out i was completely wrong. I also hated the graphics from the get go...

BUT luckily i decided to pick it up again yesterday (and today) and needless to say I invested a good amount of time on it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I kinda sorta like it now, but still have a lot to learn and discover... I pretty much like the freedom of it and the cause-effect aspect EVERYTHING in this game has. I still HATE the black screen when you go in and out of a city/house, but whatevs... it's like GTA but in olden times... no.. it reminds me a little bit of assassin's creed, but only in the way the "world" is very open.

16. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Japanese RPG versus American RPG....to be honest I have to say this is one of the few particular instances where I think America actually can compete. I don't know of Japanese RPGs which provide anywhere near the sort of complete freedom to explore a MASSIVE totally open world and really immerse yourself in a whole other universe of adventures, the way games like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series have done. Though some people like a more linear, structured gaming experience, I suppose...still you have piqued my curiosity, I do want to try playing Tales of Graces now...:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2013 at 01:20 AM ----------

Haha, you know that's not "enough said"...you can't just do a crap and run on this thread. Lucy you got some 'splainin to do...

#16 Rakkaus, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  17. Emberblaze

Well, it wasnt the gameplay vs gameplay that got me hooked, it was the plot of tales of graces (the jap rpg) that wouldnt let me put down the controller long enough to switch to skyrim O_O

18. MidnightOwl

I personally think my favorite game was Oblivion. All the people whom liked Morrowind hated Oblivion, but I think Oblivion did it correctly. I think Oblivion found the nice balance of mainstream and still kept to the RPG elements. I also adore the less realistic setting Oblivion was. Skryim feels like a generic midieval fantasy. Not only that, but it doesn't even feel like an Elder Scrolls game.
    It feels like ODST which was a crap game, imo, but they just Stickered Halo on it so people could buy it. I miss the choices, I mean yes Oblivion had the illusion of choice, but we still got choice. The NPCs you can't talk to them any more, I liked meaningless conversations with them. The fact that they don't recognize your race either. In the very beginning main story when you kill the dragon one of the nord guards goes "You wouldn't understand you're not a Nord" Um hello my dragonborn is a dark elf. My dragonborn is a dark elf. I mean wtf.
    In Oblivion they had dialogue for the choices you made. And not only that, but there was still unique and interesting quest. Like the village that was invisible due to the wizard spell.
    And before you say something I think of the same year Two Worlds 2 came out, it looks better than Oblivion, has unique quest [the main story was kind of generic], and not only that but it had this intersting unique fantasy world. And not only that, but it had Spellcrafting, Armor crafting. Not only that could break apart armor for fabric, and metal pieces. Even clothes you could break apart. And there was even clothing dye. And the world was open world. Clothing dye means that they have more time to focus on more unique pieces of armor because in Skyrim everything is just a recolor of something. Armor dye elimantes this because you could easily change the color of a piece of outfit the different multiple color.
    And then not only that, but the customization sucked in Skyrim. Sure it looked, nicer, but I prefered Oblivions because I like to customize all those things. I don't see why they didn't give the option of an advance mode and a simple mode. What about hair length sliders, cause I hate men with long hair. And why does every male character look super old? In Oblivion I could make someone look at least 19 years old. Skyrim's model have to many wrinkles, my main character only looks twenty cause he's wearing a hood to cover the forehead wrinkles. I'm 20 and don't have forehead wrinkles so don't get me started on that.
    Why do the elves look like hobglobins? The gritty look works for the dark elves, but the high elves.
    Should I go on?

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see the wtf here; you're NOT a Nord, so he doesn't think you understand. I'm a Dunmer too hehe, harking back to my Morrowind heritage. That ghetto area in Windhelm was pretty interesting the first time.

However, I can see a lot of what you're saying. The problem is, customization has been on the downswing since at least as far back as Morrowind. Gone are the separate armor pieces with scads of clothing options. I loved the hair sliders in Oblivion, despite the unforgivably mushy-looking faces. *Better Bodies mods did a bit for that though.* And as far as generic medieval fantasy worlds? Cyrodiil has got to be near the top of generic. It was supposed to be a thick jungle, but BethSoft wanted it to feel "familiar." Rolling green forests and half-timbre houses, with the occasional ruined castle. I got the vibe that Skyrim tried for "familiar (to viking types), but turn the 'epic' up to eleven." Make the mountains steeper, the rocks craggier, the blizzards... blizzardier (and they look amazing even on low settings) and the heroes even mightier than legend. Not that the game was better overall, as there's still a trend towards dumbing down pretty much everything but combat. But it did look very nice. :grin:

20. FemCasanova

I played the Elder Scrolls series, but was never particularly hooked on it. However, Skyrim is great! I love just swimming down a river, picking fisk (yeah), running trough the woods, climbing mountains... It`s like real mother nature, and it is all your playground! It really has wonderful nature, good graphics, a big open world. I play it on X box, but it is great there too. I usually play more destruction/battle mage-ish, which is a lot of fun in Skyrim, even if it can be a bit hard at times in the beginning. I also love the marriage option, though it is disappointing that all your beloved will do is cook and irritate you by repeating the same thing over and over again :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: