1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Programming

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by VyreRain, Jan 13, 2013.

1. VyreRain

Does anyone else have a thing for programming lol :slight_smile:

2. SomeNights

programing what? PHP SQL C C# C++ .NET VB JAVA JS BASH CSS XHTML are all "fun".

3. VyreRain

Mostly games but then I get bored in the Middle.... and ive only worked with C++ and python ... but if I had any books on other id learn em lol I have a lot of free time....

4. SomeNights

you should pick up Java or PHP next (php.net). I feel like once you learn the concepts in your first programing language (esp one as strict as C++) and you port it to another language, you basically know them all. They all pick and steal from each other (except for C, C is original lol)

5. ptacub

ptacub Guest

I can program in Pascal (with Delphi 7) and SQL and I'm busy learning Python in my spare time. I'm studying CompSci this year so I'll be learning C++ and Java at uni.

6. Dalmatian

Yes, I've got a thing for programming; it's called "making a living" :grin:

I was always fascinated by the idea that I could tell a computer what to do, especially when it came to things people can't do properly or are insanely boring and repetitive and so on. Computers are cool.

I agree with SomeNights; when you collect experience in a couple of languages, you basically know them all. Of course, there's always the question of proficiency and agility in browsing through the libraries, but in essence, you come to a place where you sometimes find yourself in a conversation like:
    - Have you ever programmed in X?
    - No, never.
    - Hm.. I need someone to do Y in X..
    - No problem, I'll do it.

I'd say, though, that you need experience in different types of languages. You definitely need knowledge of one of the "real" languages, such as C, and one of loose-type ones, like for example PHP.
    Well, actually, a recipe for a broad knowledge: Java, PHP, SQL. After that you should be fine with almost everything. Then, after some time, get yourself some Python, just to be awed :wink:

Ah, programming... :grin: :grin:

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I only know C and C++, but I do enjoy programming a lot. I'm actually in the middle of writing a text-based adventure game in C++, and it's been a lot of fun so far. :slight_smile:

8. BudderMC

I know Turing, Visual Basic, Java, and Python, personally.

9. SunSparks

Weeeeee! Programming! xD I only really started last year but if you can wait a few years - then I can (hopefully) list off a bunch of languages I can use xD

I know Java and MATLAB... and SomeNights said CSS is also programming, so I'll throw that in as well :slight_smile: Next semester, not Spring 2013 but Fall 2013, I should be starting C++ and during this summer, I should get Python down ( shouldn't take much since I already know Java) and hopefully start with some C++ or otherwise.

10. BudderMC

^ oh right, MATLAB, I know that too (though it's a pain in the ass IMO :dry:slight_smile:

11. SunSparks

Really? I thought it was the opposite - lol, I felt it was too basic and easy xD

12. VyreRain

I'm pretty good at coding but I always get in the middle of something get bored and move on to something else.... lol .....:slight_smile:

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I am a programmer for a living.

14. RainbowMan

Ahh yes, I also have this thing for programming called "making a living" :grin: (though I;m not a software developer as such - more an integration type guy, so I write a bunch of glue to put other things together).

All of my stuff is written in the "UNIX way", or at least I try to. That is to say that I write really small programs that do one thing and do it well. If you need to do more complex things, you can put these simplistic building blocks together. The programming languages that I consider myself extremely proficient in are bash (yes, it's a programming language, no matter how much I hate it), and Python. I absolutely loathe perl, I can't wrap my head around it really unless I *have* to. I'm going to have to learn some rudimentary Ruby sometime soon, I know a little bit of Java, and can read C (but probably not write much new in it that's very complicated).

My choice between bash and Python is fairly simple. If it requires more than 50 lines of code in bash, or using weird substitution operators is necessary in bash, it gets written in Python. If it's simple enough that neither of those two apply, then bash might be OK.

I'll leave you with a bit of humor,

Python is a great beginner's car; you can drive it without a license. Unless you want to drive really fast or on really treacherous terrain, you may never need another car.

Perl is supposed to be a pretty cool car, but the driver's manual is incomprehensible. Also, even if you can figure out how to drive a Perl car, you won't be able to drive anyone else's. [RainbowMan note: this is why I hate perl, you cannot understand anyone else's code because there's a billion ways to to things.]

C is a racing car that goes incredibly fast but breaks down every fifty miles.

C++ is a souped-up version of the C racing car with dozens of extra features that only breaks down every 250 miles, but when it does, nobody can figure out what went wrong.

[above a small selection from here of the ones I like]

15. SomeNights

^ what o you have against bash? if you know *nix you have to at least understand bash

16. prism

Yes! Though I'm still a novice programmer. I know Python and Java, and would like to learn MATLAB.

17. RainbowMan

Definitely understand. I don't like writing complex things in it, because it then becomes unreadable. And especially with substitution operators, the syntax can be somewhat arcane, that's why I chose those specifically to pick on :grin:

But yeah, I agree that a fundamental understanding of bash scripting is required.

18. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I really like those. :lol: Although I would add that when the C racing can breaks down, you can usually figure out exactly why. I never understood the concept of, "My code isn't working and I don't know why... Now my code is working and I don't know why," until I moved from C to C++.

19. SomeNights

^agreed the computer only does what you tell it to. meaning the error exists between the keyboard and the chair! lol

20. starfish

I really dislike parameter substitution in korn/bash shell. It is so awkward that I always screw it up the first time.