1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac vs PC

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by LEZmis4, Jan 18, 2013.

1. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm ready for a new computer, and I think I'm ready to make the switch from a PC to a Mac. Anyone here have any advice? What should I consider? What do I need to know as far as moving from PCworld to Macworld? Any thoughts welcome! Thanks!

2. ptacub

ptacub Guest

[​IMG]

Honestly, we cannot tell you if moving to a Mac would be the best option. You have to decide for yourself. It depends on numerous factors:

1. Are you willing to take the time to learn the new OS? My friend recently got a Mac and he is struggling to get to grips with Mac OSX. I taught him the basics, showed him a few tutorials and he's still struggling (although he isn't very bright. imo Mac OSX is the easiest OS to use). To learn a new OS, you have to "unlearn" what you learnt from Windows or Linux. So don't go to Mac expecting it to be Windows without Windows, if you know what I mean.

2. Is the software you need available on Mac? Because Mac OSX is a minority OS, obviously you might run into the problem that you cannot find a specific program for Mac that you used on Windows. You get your usual like Chrome, Firefox, LibreOffice, VLC, Handbrake, etc. that are cross-platform and popular, but if you use, say, accounting software, you'd know there is no good Mac alternative. You can obviously use a virtual machine to run Windows if you have a need for a specific Windows program.
    I recommend this site to find the best Mac software: Best Mac Apps

3. Are you willing to spend the money? I don't care what Apple fans say, Macs are expensive. They're pricey and sold at an outrageous premium. But if you are willing to spend that money, it's your prerogative. No one has the right to tell you otherwise. Granted, the quality of Mac computers are good, but so are Lenovo ThinkPads and they're still cheaper.

4. Why are you considering Mac? A lot of people make the mistake of thinking "the grass is greener on the other side." I made that mistake about Linux and I ended up going back to Windows. What is it about Windows that you dislike? If you're having problems, have you researched how to solve the solution?

Like I said, no one can tell you what OS to use. You have to decide for yourself what OS best suits you. And if Mac OSX is that OS, great, enjoy your new Mac.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lifelong PC user here, with some Mac experience.

Most of the difference is completely trivial. While Windows has its window buttons (close, minimize, maximize) on the top right, the Mac I used in school had them on the top left. Some of the buttons are in different places, and you have to get used to the new phrasing of most little commands.

Now for some negatives. The mouse felt really weird with no defined buttons (just click with left or right pressure and hope) and just a little nub for scrolling. Furthermore, any Mac you get will be around 2.5x as expensive as a comparable Windows pc. Upgrading them is also fairly hard, as they're configured totally differently on the inside with a lot more proprietary parts. Oh, and they also don't play nearly as many games.

As for the positives, there are some. The internet browser tends to work really well. Safari always came up super fast, and didn't badger me with as many little updates to things. Macs are also known for being better with graphics editing programs like Photoshop and Illustrator, so are popular with graphic designers.

Welp, that's about that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Overall I'd recommend sticking with PC, for more than just familiarity. They are cheaper, more upgradeable, and even though I think Macs are better at some things, PCs are plenty serviceable, especially with Windows 8. <<That crap is fast.

4. photoguy93

If you're a gamer, or into a lot of crazy software stuff, stick with a PC. Macs just don't have the options and gaming support of a PC.

that being said, MAC's can handle a ton. My friend had almost no room on hers, and it ran fine. You get down to a quarter of your hard drive left on a PC and it's like pulling a truck.
    Macs, generally, last a lot longer, too!

So you just have to figure out what you will use the most.

Oh, and it's not hard to learn. It's quite simple, actually. The mouse thing is difficult, but Ijust use the mousepad!

5. PillsHere

What do you need it for?
    My PC is mainly a gaming console with some extra nifty things. That being said, I use a PC.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's just a problem with how you use it. When you install programs, it adds notes to a registry. As you add, move, and remove stuff repeatedly, it occasionally gets errors that it has to get around in order to work, which slows the computer down. Combine this with fragmentation on the hard drive and you'll get a, well, truck. Regular defrags (with the built-in disk defragmenter) and cleanups with CCleaner keep any computer running great.

Occasional upgrades kept my 3.2GHz Pentium 4 computer from '04 competitive for almost 8 years. Its only problem now is that the water-cooling unit is degrading and it might overheat the processor eventually. :/ I've got a new one now though, for half the price of the old one hehe.

#6 Argentwing, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  7. Divopix

I mean, I have the best Mac Book Pro you can buy, and it's pretty good with gaming when I choose to game.

Macs are pretty cool, but if you don't want to spend the thousands of dollars on it, PCs are just the same. There are a lot of different things you can do with your fingers on the track pad, it's confusing at first but you'll get used to it quickly.

Other than that, I think if you're used to just downloading things quickly, you'll have to learn that when you're not downloading torrents, (ex: downloads from websites or a game) you have to make sure they have a version for a Mac or you won't be able to download it. That's something I neglected before I bought mine.

8. photoguy93

I did defrag, I did clean up the disc......I've had about 6 different PC's in my life. They all do this.

But I'll lit it this way - Mac's will consistently work well. PC's might work great - if you know how to use them like a computer genius.

9. ptacub

ptacub Guest

You don't need to be a computer genius to know how to use Windows, you just need to learn how to take care of the system so that it doesn't crawl like a "truck."

I have had the same installation of Windows 7 since January 2011 and it's still as fast as when I installed it. You simply use CCleaner, Defraggler, Malwarebytes, a good anti-virus system and you're sorted. Every six months or so check if you've got software installed that you no longer use, delete personal files you no longer need and check if there are updates for Windows and your software.

10. Ditz

I did the change over from PC to Mac for one of my businesses just over 10 years ago. Subsequently over the years I've converted all our businesses and personal computers from Pc's to Mac's as they are much more reliable and cost effective in the long run. Yes a Mac costs more, but they last much longer, don't need constant upgrades and fixing that costs a fortune especially when it comes to computer viruses etc. Our computers have been connected to the Internet 24/7 for the past 8 years and not once have we had a virus problem on any of our Mac's, can't say the same for our PC's with all the anti virus software etc. installed. I got rid of the last PC 3 years ago and we haven't looked back.

As for making the transition... Apples OSX is much simpler than Windows to operate. Our employees (and myself) where initially scared of the new operating system but you quickly get used to it. You have to unlearn a complicated way of doing things on a PC, a Mac is just click and go, the most simple and direct route, so you have to think simplistically. Now, 10 years later it is super frustrating for me to try and do anything on a PC as it's just not logical, way too many steps to get anything done.

10 years ago there where issues with not always finding software for Macs that you'd find for PC's, but that has changed too as they've become more popular and mainstream especially since the launch of the iPhone. Compatibility issues seemed to have disappeared over the years. We have one medical software program that is windows based which we run on Parallels on one of our Macs, if there is a software program that you need to use that only works on Windows you can.

Bonus for us is the integration of iPads and iPhones, everything is always in sync and just works... For me it's a no brainer, it's the best way to run all of our businesses with the least hassle and maintenance costs.

11. SomeNights

Going against the general census, I had to move from pc to Mac. it helps if you have Linux experience, because max is a posix system just like linux. Oh and did you know you can run windows on your Mac? Bootcamp and VMware work wonders. That's what I use and while I'd never put down the cash for a Mac pro or an iMac(excet fr in the case of presentation computers) I think I'll be sticking with my mbp and my future laptops will be a MacBook.

Btw I can justify the cost. Unlike other laptops, these things are built to last! I've abused mine,dropped it hell I've even spilled stuff on it and it still works fine

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Spent a couple decades using PCs. Just switched to Macs about 2 years ago.

I'd NEVER switch back.

The Mac hardware is robust and will last a long time. I have a used 2007 Macbook that purrs along just fine for my portable needs, and a Mini that I do everything from Photoshop to video editing on and it never even whines.

The OS took very little time to get used to... what took quite a bit of getting used to is how stuff just... works... on the Mac. Software works. Drivers are rarely needed, and when they are, they're installed almost invisibly. Applications are intuitive and rarely if ever crash.

By contrast, my PCs constantly had problems, had a LOT of hardware failures, were more prone to virii (though Macs aren't impervious either, it's a lot less common), and, honestly, are just clumsy compared to PCs.

There's no reason, other than gaming, that I could see for using a PC compared to a Mac.

13. Motov

Or just go out and buy a mouse you like to use and it will accept it, I'm using a mac with a regular logitech mouse, no problems here

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's true too, I was able to switch it out. But the fact that it's standard is annoying.

15. photoguy93

Well, you do have to be a computer genius. Sorry - but it's the truth. All of my friends who are just normal computer people (who have had PC's) have had the same issues as me.

I did pretty much everything you said. I took my computers in when they needed fixed. I was aware of things. But most all of my PC's slowed down and became hot messes. They simply could not keep up with my lifestyle (even though I asked for a computer that could handle everything.)

---------- Post added 19th Jan 2013 at 08:17 PM ----------

Well, if you have the best then maybe you can handle gaming. I have a really nice MBP, but it isn't the top of the top of the top. I do have games that are meant for MAC's....but there's just less of a variety. I'm a huge "Sims" fan. I played it for years on my PC. I never had any issues. I've had more funky, crazy, bizarre things happen on my MAC than I ever had.

But I love my mac so it is worth it!

16. Emberstone

macs have brand loyalty, and is good for video/photo editing.

thats about it.

you pay 2-3 times as much, and repairs are killer.

I can get 8-10 years out of a pc desktop, and 5-6 years out of a pc laptop. I have never had a friend who is a apple user get more than 2 years out of a macbook.

17. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I'm biased because I'm a Microsoft nut! But I don't think buying a Mac is worth it unless you really just want OS X. There are many Windows machines that have way better specs for a way better price that are built just as well in my opinion. You just gotta go look. My old Dell M1530 was a beast and I still have it today.

18. This basically. And the fact that my laptop has been carried and banged around for five years and I have never had to take it in, never had problems and it still runs okay. Yeah it was a thousand bucks but it was worth it for ease and longevity.

Whereas my girlfriend paid half as much for her PC laptops over the years and there have been constant problems and the latest one barely runs now after less than two years. Of owning it.

But if you game, probably should go PC.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really for any more Mac hate, but I thought it was funny how it related to the general forum as well as the topic:

[​IMG]

20. ptacub

ptacub Guest

I'm not a computer genius. I'm a programmer, granted, but all I know is to program applications. I have a very novice understanding on how the underlying OS works.

I really don't see how. My guess would be either you and your friends were getting viruses (in which case I automatically assume you were doing something you were not supposed to like downloading torrents, thus I feel little sympathy for you) or you were running too many tasks in the background. I'm can't be certain because I don't have the PC in front of me, but Windows doesn't just become slow by itself.

I'm not attacking your preference. I like Mac OSX as well. I simply disagree with you when you say Windows requires a "computer genius." If your experience was with Windows XP then I agree with you somewhat. Everything pre-Vista was a little too advanced for the average user (aside from being absolute crap). However, Windows Vista and 7 are imo very easy to use and understand for the common user.

#20 ptacub, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013