1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ni no Kuni. Where's the <3?!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Level75, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Level75

Who here is currently playing Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch? It feels as though I've waited for this game for a lifetime, when it was just an idea that was doomed to only set foot on Japanese soil. It perfectly captures that Studio Ghibli spirit in video game form. And many ways, it is everything that is great about J-RPG's. It's a PS3 exclusive and feels like everything that made RPG's during the PSX and PS2 generations great before Playstation somehow lost its way.

2. Acobi

Acobi Guest

STOP! I wish I had a PS3 cause Ni no Kuni looks like an amazing game and experience. Curses I want to play it so bad! T.T

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really wish I had a PS3. :frowning2:
    I imported the DS version of the game so I know it's fantastic, but the PS3 graphics are so lush.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I generally don't give a crap about cutesy games like this, and give even less of a crap about JRPGs. But Ni no Kuni gets an exception :grin: I love Studio Ghibli and the combat looks reminiscent of Star Wars: KotOR in that it is a turn-based system applied in real time. The visuals couldn't be any more beautiful, to the point of "Are you kidding me? It's like somebody took a movie and 3d-fied it flawlessly!" The whole package looks amazing.

5. Level75

I've been spending a bit of time feeling disappointed in my decision to get a PS3. It's as though every single game I have on it is multiplatform. In fact, they are all available on Steam. I often wish I had gotten a gaming PC so I could get all my games off Steam. Instead, a few things factored into my choice to get PS3.

- My positive experience with PSX and PS2.
    - In all likelihood, Kingdom Hearts III will be a PS3-exclusive.
    - On the offchance Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch was released locally, I didn't want to miss out on it.

I'm so glad that third one came to pass. I'm pretty proud to be a PS3 owner today.

6. Andane

It looks like an awesome game, and I really wanna get it! But new PS3 games are a bit pricey for me, so I'll probably have to hold off for at least a little while. But I do love Studio Ghibli and when I heard they helped develop a game I knew I HAD to get it.

7. Alexanderp

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ahhh! I want this game SO BADLY. I just need to get the money to purchase it. I love Level-5 and Studio Ghibli! Hell, Dark Cloud 2 is probably my 4th favorite game EVER. Plus Ni No Kuni just looks amazing, the art style and everything, just YES. I need to get it.

8. CrazyAntFarm

Yeah, I beat it within the first week of release. Took me about 52 hours, but I played it A LOT. Obviously, I loved the game :lol:

9. TeddyJavier

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Probably the best JRPG in at least the past 10 years.

10. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm enjoying it. I would be LOVING it if the teammate AI wasn't so darn stupid. It is beyond me why they didn't have more AI options.

11. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just finished playing it.

T. T I wish it wasn't over.

Only one thing I didn't like...

Oliver constantly saying "Jeepers"

That made me want to shoot myself.

12. Tim

Tim

Arc Rise Fantasia was pretty damn amazing. Just overlooked because it was on the Wii.

13. Silvails52

Stop!! I want the PS3.... And after seeing the screenshots... When will the price go down so this poor college student can buy it?

14. jp16

I hear you on that...i really want to buy PS3 so many amazing games but i'm stuck with PS2 for while i guess.

15. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok I'm going to have to be the one person in this thread who is NOT enjoying this game. I cannot see how ANYONE can look past how dumb your teammates are. In what universe is the tactic "Keep us Healthy" equal to "burn all your MP at the start and leaving none left to actually heal anybody." I don't think I have ever played a JRPG where they DON'T have tactics that actively control how much TP your teammates are allowed to spend.

The alchemy system I am finding incredibly useless at the moment. I would much rather them just give me the recipies instead of me having to either guess and figure them out or look at a guide.

Also the familiars system should be way more informative. I should have the ability to look at a familiars abilities and their stats before I catch them and finding I'm carrying a deadweight which clogs up one of my 3 available slots, forcing me to go to the sanctuary sometimes to check the stats of a familiar i catch later after all those slots are taken. The catch mechanic should also not be freaking random. I remember spending over an hour trying to catch an owl because it had some insane healing ability only to find out it can only heal itself ~_~

At this point I have no desire to finish this game. I'm up to "finding the gemstones" if anyone wants to try and convince me that it gets better after that.

16. Elicitra

I so desperately want a PC port of this game, it looks amazing :grin:.

17. DarkClarity

The game looks amazing. I've been on the hunt for a good JRPG since I've finished Valkyria Chronicles. I've rented this game from Lovefilm and hopefully it arrives this week.

---------- Post added 27th Feb 2013 at 01:32 AM ----------

A lot of good games on the Wii are overlooked.

18. Tim

Tim

I haven't found very many.

There's actually one scene in Arc Rise Fantasia that makes me cry whenever I see it. Like, I haven't finished the game because I couldn't play after it happened. Lol. I had to watch a Let's Play on youtube to get the rest of the story cause I honestly could not get myself to play after that.

(Obviously, big end of game spoilers for Arc Rise Fantasia. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

You have a 10 year old girl, Cecille, (from an ancient race who does not like humans for the most part) join your group throughout the game, the only fist-weapon user in the game at that. She has a brother, revealed to be someone from earlier in the game who is out to stop your journey. (That journey changes constantly throughout the game, but it's always against his ideals)

Anyway, you encounter him for the last time, and after beating him, he reveals his father almost killed him, but he was saved by a human. He dedicates himself to staying faithful to her, and his father tries to take away his Dragon Gem (which would kill him after turning him into a Fel Dragon, as it allows them to breathe on the planet after the atmosphere evolved during the ancient race's thousands of years of hibernation). In short, her ideals involve stopping what the party is trying to do from happening, even long after her death, he sticks to this. All the while, Cecille is trying to reason with her brother, but it's not working. In a last ditch effort to stop the party, he takes off his dragon gem, intent on turning into a Fel Dragon to kill them, even if he dies in the process. Cecille realizes she has to make a choice...

...and kills her brother to save her friends. His final words being "I... just... wanted dad... to love me..." Like, he was a villain in the game, so it wasn't supposed to be sad, but omg, I can't watch that scene without crying.

Like, some people find some of the other deaths earlier in the game more saddening, but honestly, this was just such a heartwrenching scene for me. ._.

But yea. How's the storyline in Ni no Kuni? I only ever hear about the battle system, etc. xD

#18 Tim, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013