1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new MMO to play..

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by FranklinK, Jan 28, 2013.

1. FranklinK

I've been playing Jade Dynasty and I've gotten to the point where playing the game becomes a pain in the ass.

I'm looking to find something similar to the RPG thing. I looked at LoL, but it seems like the game is build around instances and I'm more of a once character free play game.

Any ideas?

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Despite their terrible customer service, I've always had fun with Nexon's offerings. Mabinogi, Vindictus, and Dragon's Nest are all worth a look.
    I also enjoy Spiral Knights, though it's less open-world than the others.

3. FranklinK

Thanks I'll give those a look :slight_smile:

4. FranklinK

Ok I didn't like Vindictus, but I kinda dig Mabinogi and Dragon's Nest. Can you explain both of these to me a little more. In Mabinogi I see that there is no set class path. You have to pick which skills to learn that would mold you into the class you want to create. Is this right? Also, Dragon's Nest - how expansive is the gameplay?

Main question for both games - are these games heavy on the grinding?

5. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't play much of Dragon's Nest, just the Beta when it was out. It was fun but I've always been more into Mabinogi, so I can't speak much for it.
    Mabinogi has no set class path, you can learn anything you want as soon as the skills are available to you. There are, however, "talents" which you choose when creating a character that basically makes it so skills that fall within that talent are levelled easier than the rest. (A Mage Talent would gain more experience using magic whereas if they used fighting skills or alchemy it would just be regular experience gain)

In Mabi, level doesn't really matter, and in fact most people never get past level 100 and nobody knows what the level cap is. This is because of the "rebirth" system. You rebirth and go back to level one, but your skills are the same as what they were before. Each level gives you 1 AP, skills must be trained (Ex: use the skill x times, kill x strong monsters with skill, etc.), then you spend AP to rank skills.

So yes, there is skill grind but there are so many skills you just find one you enjoy and stick to it. You can do just about anything, blacksmithing, carpentry, alchemy, puppetry, magic, fist-based combat, weapon-based combat, archery, cooking, and gain experience to level up as well as skill experience for all of it.

The game itself is a bit dated but is constantly updated, and the community can be a bit immature at times.

I've got to go or I would gush more since it's my favorite MMO so just ask if you have any more questions. :slight_smile:

6. FranklinK

Hmm I'll make an account and try it out

7. BudderMC

Dragon's Nest is pretty grind-heavy, I found.

Going on the Nexon bandwagon, MapleStory, though kiddy and rather old, always used to be fun for me. A little bit grind-heavy, but I still found it quite fun. I've heard it's changed a lot since I last played though (aaaaaages ago).

I would've said Vindictus and LoL, but you've checked those out already it seems.

Mabi I always found fun, but I never really got the point of it, so I usually ended up quitting. Perhaps it's because I started playing the game wrong or something.

8. FranklinK

Hahaha I'm scared that is what is going to happen to me because I'm used to structured gaming where you have a class and a general outline of what to do.. which is why I was never good with Animal Crossing or whatever that GameCube game was.

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only play an MMO if there's PvP in it. I love competition.
    I'm patiently waiting on Prius Online to re-open. Prius was run my gPotato, but they closed the game. I have no idea when it will re-open, but I hope it's sometime this year. Some gaming company called CJ Games Global bought Prius. So that's the MMO I will be playing once it comes back out. :grin:
    I was playing Aika a while back, but I stopped playing sometime in August 2012 due to a busy life. Now Aika is currently transferring to T3Fun from gPotato because, apparently, gPotato is a difficult company to work with. It's a very fun game, and it's very PvP/PvE oriented.

10. FranklinK

I took a look at it because I saw that you had mentioned it in another thread, but it seemed to be very restricted in what you could and could not do. I might be wrong I just skimmed through the gameplay section.

11. BudderMC

From what I understand (as someone who has never played it), TERA online has similar gameplay (in terms of action-oriented) to Vindictus, but is much more open world/less instance-based, if that was one of the things that turned you off of Vindictus. Though it isn't free-to-play.

12. FranklinK

Weird. My sister and I were talking on the phone this morning and she told me she played Tera randomly for a long time. I looked it up after we got off the phone. She said it was going to become f2p in April I think. Which would be awesome, cause I'm too cheap to pay for something that isn't tangible lol

Just thought it was a funny coincidence. I did enjoy what I saw when I read it though.

13. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For which one? Aika or Prius?

14. FranklinK

Aika because Prius is offline.

15. Divopix

Anyone know if it's easy or not to level fast in Dragon Nest? Not super fast, but I'm a fan of private servers and there aren't any. It looks cool although I haven't played an MMO for a while.

16. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aika is a bit restricted but sometimes in a good way. For example, if you PK a player from your own nation, you lose 200 honor points and get infamy. You can, however, kill players from enemy nations and get honor points for it. It really is a good game.

I just wish I knew at least an estimated time for Prius to re-open. ._.

17. Zendlar

Tera Online, Guild Wars 2, Pandashan (WoW-MOP Private Server), MapleStory is always a good one to go towards. If you like starwars and just care more about story and lore go for Star Wars The Old Republic now that it's F2P. The restrictions on there are a little bad, but other than that it's a great game.

18. Acobi

Acobi Guest

Maple story use to be a great game-I thin it was back in 2005ish though where it dropped off unfortunately. I had the fondest memories in that game! I heard it is WAY different now and more reliant on the "cash shop" in order to have fun. The cash shop is their pay real money for items system. I'm not sure I would recommend Maple Story. I heard the community is quite childish too. It's quite sad-I miss that game a lot :frowning2:

LoL is a MOBA more than an RPG and is insanely fun if you give it a chance :wink:

19. No one has said World of Warcraft yet? Lots of players, good customer service, and a wonderful MMO. But don't forget the price...

20. FranklinK

Yeah, I'm really cheap so no p2p for me. My little brother played MapleStory back in the day and he loved it, but it's more of a hack and slash than anything else. I downloaded Mabonigi, but I can't get the battle controls down lol how big of a download is StarWars? I've never seen the movies will that make a difference?