1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook "confessions" page

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by teluphone, Feb 5, 2013.

1. teluphone

Singapore students spill secrets in campus

Recently, All 3 major Singapore universities like NUS, NTU and SMU have participated in facebook "confessions" where people can post anonymously and spill their secrets, declare their unrequited love or even prank friends. So far i've seen a lot of personal secrets, ranging from mushy love confessions sexual details. But the surprising thing is one of the confessions that someone mentioned there should be a LGBT pride festival in the university and it seems to have garnered a lot of likes with very little negative response and another confession to deliver "it gets better" message. I feel maybe i was wrong about Singapore taking eons to tolerate something as taboo as homosexuality.

But i think there has been a lot of controversy around these confessions pages since i stumbled upon multiple confessions explicitly describing sexual acts, BDSM and eroticism (straight, gay, lesbian you name it).

So does your university have this kind of 'confessions' facebook page? if so or if not, do you think it is a good or bad thing to even implement such a thing

2. GayforGuys

The School's/College's/University's where I am don't have anything like that but it does sound like a great idea, I can definitely say if they did I would be a lot more open about being a part of the LGBT, especially because it's anonymous.
    I know it would be full of all sorts of 'confessions' bit it really does sound like a great way for closeted teens to voice their opinion/orientation without fear of abuse - be it verbal or physical and to get the message across that yeah there are Gay teens in the School/College/University and that any hate has it's desired affect on people.

So all in all sounds like a really cool idea to me :slight_smile:

3. teluphone

i honestly find reading through these confessions far more entertaining than 9gag for some reason :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Yes. My university just started a confessions page 2 weeks ago. At first I thought it was really interesting and I was constantly checking my facebook for more confessions. However, now it is mostly ridiculous stuff that is probably made up. There are also quite a few about sex in random locations on campus that you just shouldn't have sex (um gross). Some people are also trying to use it as a dating or hook up page, saying "like this if you're a single white female down for anything." There are a few people that write long confessions about how much their lives suck. No I could care less if I read all of these outrageous confessions.

5. suninthesky

Yeah, mine does! It's pretty funny to read the secrets and have a laugh. Some of them i'd rather not know, but most of them are alright. I don't really go on the page much though.