1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half-Life vs Black Mesa Source

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Stripe101, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Stripe101

I am a big fan of classic games mainly because half-life changed my life. I started playing games from years gone by. Recently, A fan-made remake was produced called Black-Mesa Source. I personally dont like it because the voice acting is terrible and the original holds a special place in my heart. However, Black Mesa Source offers incredible graphics and a more realistic atmosphere. It also used the alien designs from Half-Life 2. My question is this "Which is better, Half-Life or Black Mesa Source?" I welcome any sort of reply. :thumbsup:

2. Ridiculous

Black Mesa Source is waaaaay better.
    I do have a great deal of nostalgia filter for the original, given that I played it in 1998 when it first came out, so it's not like I'm one of those people who immediately discount the original simply because it's older.

Just.. as far as I'm concerned everything is better in the remake.
    Well, not quite everything: they did cut a lot of content from the Surface Tensions chapter (i.e. the entire Snark section) which was a bit disappointing. Also the icthyosaurs dying in about 4 pistol hits was disappointing considering how terrifying they used to be.

I know a lot of people say they don't like the voice acting, but I think it's fine. The actual quality of the recording is fine. Some of the lines they say (particularly the HECU) are a bit silly, but they were silly in the original too so I don't mind.

Playing through both I get a lot more enjoyment from the remake.

3. Stripe101

I completly understand where you are coming from but Black Mesa doesnt have any of the zen levels. But to be fair, those levels were my least favorite part of the game. Thanks for your reply!

4. Ridiculous

They are still making the Zen levels and they will be released eventually as a patch :slight_smile: (although it might take 8 years).

5. Cascade

Black Mesa Source for sure. Everything is amazing and they fixed a bunch of things that needed fixing. Half-life was good, but this brings it up to awesome.