1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robots.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by SupremeEmperor, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Does anyone know how close we are to all having personal robot slaves? I really want one. And jet packs. I want one of those too. And teleporters. Someone really needs to get working on this stuff.

2. Ridiculous

I think the current hardware is too clumsy to be useful. Simple things like stairs just screw em up at the moment.
    If you were in a building or house that was specially designed to accommodate robotics then I think it would be doable pretty well, but we won't be seeing robots being put in the average pre-existing household for a while.

3. That's not cool. We were supposed to have them twenty years ago.

4. Just Jess

What happens when they inevitably turn on their creators?

5. Rice and Pepper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not THE expert, but based on my studies, I can tell you we are far away from teleporters. Far, well ok, we shouldn't be too strict. But at least 15 years away. Robots like those in the movies, with amazing reflexes etc, may be a little closer, but still 10 years away. And I think jet packs already exist, but are dangerous and useless in everyday life so far, and they probably cost too much for nothing. Means of transport on land are better.

But teleportation is a bit of science fiction. Even if we find a way to cause teleportation, it will problably be too expensive because it would require too much energy. Unless a scientific revolution happens and we discover that E=m*c^2 is not valid, because it would mean your body can be reconstructed with a relatively logical amount of energy. But even so, added all the additional equipment and energy needed to teleport a whole human body would cost too much, would be inefficient and therefore would not be applied for common use.
    And it wouldn't be instantaneous, because nothing can move faster than light. So imagine two machines trading data about not just a particle, but about your whole body, that must make not even a single mistake or you may die. These machines are far far away, and so even if the data moves between them at the speed of light, without picking up noise on the way, which is too good to be true, it would take A LOT of time to complete the process.

And in general, I don't think we will have slave robots the way you imagine it. More of helpers that will do for us the minor annoying work so that we can deal with the serious things.

That's all from the geek world.

But check this out. These things are more "down to earth ideas":

A Day Made of Glass... Made possible by Corning. - YouTube
    that's more the idea of helping robots

---------- Post added 15th Feb 2013 at 05:45 PM ----------

Or check this. It's much more convenient than a jet pack:
    Honda U3-X Personal Mobility | ASIMO Innovations

#5 Rice and Pepper, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. Rice and Pepper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay