1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'those' old games

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RavioliFaceMan, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Yesterday, I ordered a copy of The Sims 2: Castaway for PS2 (for 73p) and a copy of Skies of Arcadia: Legends on GameCube (£60).

This is about Castaway, though. I will have been much younger when I played this, it was summer, and I was ill and depressed so I was taking time off school, and my Mum just brought it home for me as a surprise gift to make me feel better. She made me a packed lunch and put it in my lunchbox as I always liked her to and we sat in the living room playing it together and cuddling. It was amazing.

I realise it was a bad game with bad reviews and whatnot. But that's the point of this thread - it was just one of those childhood games, sort of like a guilty pleasure, that weren't particularly popular, or 'good', but I just felt it suited me perhaps, and I really enjoyed it.

Skies of Arcadia doesn't count so much as it was a very, very good game. So yeah. Anyone have one of those old games?

2. ProfessorPunk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Aw I loved Castaway too, great game. One I was hooked on was Dog's Life for PS2. As far as I can remember it wasn't that hyped up at the time, I could be wrong. Really nice little game though, especially for an animal lover.

3. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I LOVED The Sims lol.. Id go through withdrawl when I wasnt playing it.
    But of course it got to the point when I was like, my sim has a great job, always cleans his house, has a family, maxed out on all his skills, works out all the time... and all I do is play this stupid game! Lol. I havent played it for years, but remembering it now makes me really want to. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So many PS1 games. My dad would buy them and my brother and I would play co-op, even on games in genres neither of us really cared for like racing.
    Some of my favorite PS1 games are games I would hate playing if I got them for the first time today. :slight_smile:

5. Rice and Pepper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I ordered both Legend of Zelda: Oracle of seasons and Oracle of time for GameBoy Color. And to tell you the truth, they were a bit expensive (about 50€, that's even more dollars).

After playing them and completing them (it didn't take too long I must confess), I realized how many things my imagination had added to the games. They were good games, but they seemed even better when I was a child. For example, I was on the far right and lower square of the map and I was like "Wow. The last square. What could there be next to it. A place out of the map" and I would make a whole plot of how the story would go on on that place that was out of the map, the secret, special, mythical place! I was very sad when all those awesome ideas I used to have crashed into reality.

Playing both games and comparing them the more recent games, I also realized how many ideas and scenarios are recycled in the Zelda games, and that was really disappointing too...

But the truth must be told. Nostalgia can really fuck up your day... But even if you play those games or do what you used to do as a child, it will never be 100% satisfying... Sometimes I even feel bad while playing old games because I realize once again that those days will never come back and that deep down it wasn't those games that made those days so special to me. Sometimes I feel like it's a bit of grief... :frowning2:

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2013 at 08:22 PM ----------

I just remembered that when I was a child, I wanted to have all of my games and stuffed animals placed in a box over my grave when I die. Thinking about it now, I understand why I used to think so, but it is funny how things change. How you yourself change.
    Sorry for the melancholy wave guys... I just got really nostalgic...

6. DOG'S. LIFE. The music was amazing. Wow. My boyfriend has this game, I'm going to have to get him to bring it round right now wow

---------- Post added 27th Feb 2013 at 12:16 AM ----------

Also, I'm worried that I'll be disappointed when I play these games :frowning2:

7. DarkClarity

Toshinden 4. It was my one favourites as a child. I have no idea who got it for me but I loved it. It got panned critically and now looking back I realise that it was a rubbish game but I don't care. I wish it was available on the PSN.

8. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Ah... when I was a kid, my dad bought my brother and me a PS1 for Christmas, but we only had the demo disk that came with a pizza box I think, haha. It had a demo of Spyro on it, some snowboarding game, and Medieval which terrified me as a child. But so many memories playing that... until mum and dad went out and bought the actual Spyro disk for us. I used to play that like crazy with my mum.

Mum also used to play Ocarina of Time with me a lot, when I couldn't get past certain levels and stuff. I have a lot of memories. I used to stay inside the deku tree just to listen to the music. When I heard it again on my 3DS copy of OoT, I wanted to cry out of nostalgia, as lame as that sounds.

9. Stripe101

I bought cast away for my psp.... those damn chimps wouldn't collect the materials I needed. A nostalgic game for me would be Shrek 2 on gameboy advance, Super Mario 64, and Ratchet and Clank

#9 Stripe101, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  10. We had a demo disk with Soul Reaver on, I remember that well. Also, an old Tomb Raider game where you start off in her house and then when you start the first part is sliding dow a ramp or something? I could never get past that ramp, so I just ended up running around her house for hours. That was fun.

11. FemCasanova

One old game I never have been able to find again, was Dino Crisis. That was one awesome game on PS1. I played it when I was a kid, back when I also played Res E 1. I never got through DC, and it disappointed me when I couldn`t buy it as an adult because it`s not available anywhere.

12. djt820

I had a thing for racing games as a kid. When my parents got a PC, I played a lot of Road Rash, Need for Speed 2/3, and Moto Racer.

I figured my parents got fed up with me using the PC so much and then I got a Playstation and this was my first game for that system:
    [​IMG]

"Greatest Hits" games always have looked so bad.

13. Alaya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've desperately being trying to find a game which I think was just called "Sheep" that I got free with a graphics card ages ago. Basically the whole game involved herding sheep through an obstacle course without getting too many of them killed. I know I'd find it really bad now but I can't even find anyone who has heard of it or any mention of it anywhere online. I think it was released in the early 2000's.

14. agonizingnose

To be honest I still play my old PS1 games, (crash bandicoot, tomb raider 3 ect) while I do play new stuff, Arma 3 for example... I still cant escape the wonder that those games put me in when i was young.

---------- Post added 2nd May 2013 at 12:10 AM ----------

yesh

15. singingbird

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    my favourite is legend of dragoon

and sim city has been a great game

16. AquaRegia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I still have my PS1 games and sometimes i play them on pc (hehe shhh). Driver 1, Driver 2, Harvest Moon, Silent Hill, Parasite Eve, Tomb Raider and many others. They bring back nice memories.

17. AAASAS

Used to play the Sims, easily got bored on it. Sim City was a good time killer when I was younger.

Older games I still play every once in a while though are

GTA, Age of Empires(fucking love this game), Unreal Tournament, Geometry Wars, Mortal Combat, Icy Towers.

---------- Post added 1st May 2013 at 02:04 PM ----------

I totally forgot about Driver 1 and 2, before GTA that game was the best. I can still remember the bar going down when you sped by a cop. You had to drive like a pro to not get noticed.

18. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Used to play Sims, N64, PS2 all the time as a kid. Have fond memories of beating my brother's ass in Mario Kart N64 and Pokemon Stadium. :wink:

19. SlickyPants

There are several games that bring back great memories and many of them I fire up from time to time. Most of them were great games but a few weren't so great when I look back on them now and remove the nostalgia factor.

The Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout (NES) - It sort of plays like Super Mario Bros. 2 but has more annoying music and isn't as fun. I really liked it back in the day though.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES) - Fucking seaweed, what can I say.

Marble Madness (NES) - I played it and enjoyed it a lot as a kid and eventually I tried the arcade version with a real trackball and after that the NES version just wasn't as fun.

Those were a few that came to mind right now and for some reason they were all for the NES but I'm sure there were others.

20. FemCasanova

Oh, Resident Evil 1/2 and Dino Crisis. My fave old games, used to play them on my PS1. ResE3 too eventually. I almost miss those days, but the new gen. games have totally made me spoiled so that it`s hard to go back to games that lack in good graphics and controls :frowning2: But those games had a special kind of atmosphere that I loved!