1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Fixing" my PS3

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BaneOfSauron, Feb 27, 2013.

1. BaneOfSauron

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Alright, here's the deal. Someone decided to take backwards compatibility out of newer consoles. I find that to be absolutely idiotic. I'm currently working on fixing that issue so that I can once more play my old games on my ps3. Does anybody happen to know how to access the files of the system itself?

2. DarkClarity

The reason why they've done away with backwards compatibility is simple: Money. It cost more to build a backwards compatible console and so to play old games you either need to have the old console or you have to buy them online and download them. They know that many people get rid of their old consoles. The retro market is booming and what better way of making money then making people pay again to play the games they played as children.

To answer your question I'm afraid I don't know how to access the files of the system itself but assuming you have the PS3 Slim/Super Slim model there's nothing that you can to make them play PS2 disks and I would not recommend hacking or modifying your PS3.

I see this is your first post so welcome to EC btw. :slight_smile:

3. Some PS3 consoles play PS2 discs, but not many. There is absolutely no way to do this whatsoever, as it's down to the very circuitry of the console, not the software. Your solution? Use a PS2 or compatible PS3. Alternatively, try a PS2 emulator.

---------- Post added 28th Feb 2013 at 04:55 AM ----------

As for accessing system data, you'll need to jailbreak it, which obviously I'm not going to try and cover here (or recommend, for that matter). Seriously though, don't bother unless you must, and at your own risk. Again, this still won't allow you to play PS2 discs. It's a hardware constraint.

4. Alaya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Its probably less effort just to track down an old PS2 to be honest. Most hacked PS3's I've seen tend to be pretty unstable. Can you download any of the games you want from PSN? Annoyingly costs a bit but is easier in the long run.

5. castle walls

I'm pretty sure that you'd have to buy a PS2 to do what you're suggesting and, at that point, there isn't really much of a point in combining the two systems. I really don't recommend hacking your PS3. It is more trouble than it is worth