1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8 - Failure or Future?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Naren, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Naren

What's you lot's opinion on Windows 8?
    I personally dislike it strongly. And by strongly I mean like Chuck Norris x Hercules strongly.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really like it. The slide-out "charms" bar on the side of the screen is stupid and the weird screen you go to before the desktop is totally unnecessary (pc only if you can't tell), but the system freaking flies. My old computer took at least 5 minutes to start up with Win 7, but running 8 now, it is ready for action in seconds. I'm more than willing to accept its weaknesses for its monumental strengths, which are plug-and-play compatibility, and going bloody fast. :grin:

3. Zontar

Good idea in concept, beta-tier execution. There's a lot in Windows 8 that could've been done right but wasn't. Namely, not making a Metro configuration that's suitable for mouse and keyboard, that's the biggest one there. As it stands now, it's only good on tablets. This is all stuff that will be addressed in Windows 9 no doubt, so I'd probably wait for that if you want to use Windows 8 as it should be.

4. Naren

W8 is fast, but there should be a "Windows 7 shell" option. That would squash 99% of complaints.

5. theMaverick

I think Windows 8 is a step in the right direction, but it really needs to be experienced on a touch screen. I used it on a non touch device and it was miserable. I'm wanting to try out Chrome OS and see how that is, I'm sure Google has plans for further development of it.

6. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've used it (on a computer that wasn't mine) ... and hate it. (I added a start-menu back just to make the thing useable LOL then it wasn't too bad)

For me though its not something I'd ever want on my own computer..

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's my beef with it, actually. Touchscreens are for convenience when a mouse and keyboard are not available, nothing more. They may be more "intuitive" and allow little things like multi-touch, but fingers and detection will never be as precise as a mouse and keys.

Branching into broad use in mobile devices is great, but as soon as they attempt to do away with effective tools for "user-friendly" features like touchscreens, I'll quit computers. These fingers just do not get along with them.

8. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    not used it but it looks awesome, esp. w/ a touchscreen

9. mav96213

I don't like it at ALL....

10. Definitely love it. For most desktop users, you can add in a start menu if you want (although I really can't see why you'd want to; the start screen is fantastic), and apart from that the difference is great multi-monitor support, an amazing (and I mean really amazing) upgrade to the task manager, and some nice additions to Explorer. It's also really quick and definitely more productive once you've got used to it. The start screen is a lot quicker and more convenient for finding your files and software.

For tablet users, this is what we've all been waiting for. A windows desktop on a tablet that performs well and has all the benefits of being a mobile device. This is definitely the future - who are we to argue, if that is what the manufacturers are making? If you really don't like Windows 8, don't use it, but people should really stop complaining and making all those that do like it feel bad.

11. Stripe101

I still use XP... computers are expensive and XP is cool

12. Rivers

I used to have XP. Last Christmas, I got Windows 8, which was a huge jump from my old system. I absolutely love it. Sure, it was annoying to get used to at first, but now I think it's a lot faster and cooler than XP. I never had Windows 7, so I can't make a comparison.

13. Convoy

I'm mixed on it, they did fix some of the older issues that required workarounds but now some things are more buried in menus and tutorials than before. It's fast'ish but a bit unintuitive with just a keyboard and mouse; the metro UI works well with my laptop that can side-scroll but the full page apps are not quite my forte.

Overall it's probably more useful for consumers but I'm struggling with some aspects of it, notably the way they've secured the key when using UEFI boot's and on OEM devices.

I can't get my key off of an OEM install and there is no provided disk, no way to reinstall or prove ownership other than a non descriptive sticker on the bottom of my case. If anything ever did happen to the UEFI and I had to disable it (Which now involves the OS, for some stupid reason since it's not ultimately much more secure) I'd be out an OS and I'd have to buy another copy from them (If I ran W8 again). Plus it's a pain to do dual boots with if it's even possible due to the way the key's are setup.

Hopefully redhat and other linux developers that are messing with the UEFI and all that will have a solution soon, or at least convince Windows to make one but for now I'm a bit wary on all of it.

Ultimately what people are most upset with are just small UI tweaks in general and those can be fixed (easily). I'm more upset that they didn't completely prepare or setup a proper way of using the system how it should have been though OEM dealers.

I bet in a year or two I'll see W8 machines with a rootkit or something in the UEFI and all I'll be able to tell them is to buy a new machine and I'll rip some of the files off. I can't fix something that I can't get access to, and even if I did in most cases it'll involve them buying a new OS anyways. People won't be too happy about that.

14. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with a bunch of yous. The speed is really nice, but it doesn't really flow as nicely as 7 did for me. Me still having my crappy HP, i haven't gotten to use it on a touchscreen yet, but I've demo-ed it, and its a hell of a lot easier to use. However, with most PC's going to touch anyways, I think it really is the future. Perhaps 8 is simply a bit ahead of it's time. However, there is a load of shit they need to take care of. But I have faith that MIcrosoft will pull through. :slight_smile:

15. TARDISDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I HATE WINDOWS 8. It's on my laptop and it's so unnecessary. It seems much more suitable for tablets, mobiles, and touch screen PC's.

16. Lez

Lez

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Failure. Just getting it to kinda actually work....

17. Dalmatian

It's annoying. The start screen is just an obligatory step I have to go through to get to the usable OS. Metro apps are multitasking-killers; I don't want full screen apps, I want a computer, not an Ipad. I want a start screen which lists, not an infinite scroll of nondescript rectangles (I hate thumbnails or tiles even in explorer, I use details view). And I want groups that collapse, not a full screen of LibreOffice apps. Also, the start screen search for things like "Windows update" takes a click more. I can't alt-tab to Metro apps. I got pissed off while trying to make Ubuntu boot.

Yeah, it's fast-ish. It uses RAM well. The task manager is great. But all-in-all it's a pain. I guess it's true: skip even-numbered Windows.

18. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like it and I had no problem adapting to the changes. Yes, I think Win8 is more suitable to touch screen computers than an average laptop or desktop, but that doesn't really bother me. I know how to make it do what I want and it doesn't give me any problems in the process. Besides, I find the active tiles on the metro interface convenient. I'm alerted to emails and headlines all the time, which is great. I really don't need to go to the desktop most of the time anyway, unless I'm using an app that won't run in metro... or a game.

19. Hot Pink

Windows 8 isn't terrible, but it isn't that good either. Windows 7 is superior just because everything is in a place that makes relative sense. Windows 8 feels very "thrown together." There are redundant menus and trying to do something as simple as shutting down the computer has too many steps. Everything that we hated from UAC is back with a vengeance. Except this time, it's built into the OS and there's no way to turn it off. Are you sure you want to open this? Are you sure you want to shut down? Are you sure you want to close this? Yes, I wouldn't have clicked those things if I wasn't sure. The side bars are counter-intuitive. The Start Screen is an eyesore. The design of the OS looks like it was designed by a programmer and a first-year design student. It is faster than Windows 7, so there's that. The negatives just outweigh all of the positives.

20. poq50

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    getting used to it, does have its quirks but it is fast from a cold boot, ifin u don't like the main screen then just move things around until it better suits you... considering I started with Windows 2.0 it is a vast improvement...lol

#20 poq50, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013