1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Gaming Headset and mic?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Asari, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I need a new headset for my xbox really bad. I want to buy something that is affordable. I don't play games like COD so I don't need a SUPER sensitive audio but I would like some really nice audio and mic. I have this coupon for best buy to get $40 off Turtle Beach DX12, but even after that coupon I would be spending 80 bucks which is a lot. I wonder if it would be better for me to get the $60 x12 or if surround sound is worth the 20 bucks?

Do you know of anything cheaper that works really well? All I'm looking for is a fairly decent mic with great sound. I think I'm more picky about the sound. Suggestions are very appreciated. :slight_smile:

also being able to use them as earphones is a plus, (not necessary but a major plus)

2. UndercoverGypsy

I use a Razer Tiamat 7.1, but that's expensive (I'm the kinda guy who will either buy completely pro, ridiculously expensive stuff when I don't need them, or not buy them at all). You should really try PC gaming, as it's much easier to find peripherals, and the games are in general much more fun, but, if you want to stick to xbox, I would suggest some Razer gear, because I personally have a thing for Razer - they make great products.

Have fun searching!

3. UndercoverGypsy

Oh, by the way, I just got a $10 dollars off any purchase code from Razer, and I don't really want anything, so you can have it if you like... Only lasts until March 31st, though.

Edit: Oh, also, It only works for purchases of $79 and up before shipping and handling

4. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. I may consider investing in a nice pc if I don't like the next gen consoles but I don't know anything about gaming pcs. I do prefer consoles mostly because I enjoy using a remote but I know I can get a remote for the pc. I know the graphics are much crisper. There is a huge difference between Skyrim on the xbox and the pc for example. I might look in to it.

5. UndercoverGypsy

Well, if you want a nice pc, the best, and cheapest way is with a custom build. It's really not all that hard. I built a really nice desktop with an overclockable intel cpu, a nice graphics card and 8 gigs of RAM for just over $1000 bucks that I saved up for a while, and that includes the monitor. Also, since you're talking about graphics, there are some budget korean IPS LCD monitors that really show off color beautifully. Here's and article on them.

6. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yea I would never be able to save up that much. I'm a college student that is already in a tun of debt. Nice to dream though.

7. I never bought one. The problem with gaming headsets is that you're paying for headphones and a microphone for the same price as either headphones or a mic, so it's a serious compromise. Even the Tiamet 7.1 I tried in-store sounded awful compared to the reference headphones I'm used to, and the microphone felt like an afterthought. They were also incredibly flimsy and cheaply built for the price.

It frustrates me because a lot of people think that these headphones sound good. A lot of people buy Skullcandy, Dr Dre, Lady Gaga or gaming headphones and swear by them, but trust me, you have not heard nice audio until you've used a proper pair of headphones. I personally have the Ultrasone Edition 10, which I don't expect any of you will be interested in, but they do sound truly incredible. As for gaming prices, I would go for AKG. Better spend £60-£100 on a pair of those and get a cardioid USB broadcast mic for about the same. That would be much more pro sounding and much nicer to use.

8. UndercoverGypsy

Ugh, Lady Gaga is making headphones now? :bang:

No argument here about Beats being shit, and the one pair of Skullcandys I ever bought fell apart in a couple of weeks - they're made really badly... Since you seem to be an audiophile, what do you think about House of Marley Zions?

9. I know! I was reading a book the other day that had a timeline of milestones in becoming a celebrity, and I can't help thinking that having your own headphones should thrown in there. The Zions I don't know a lot about because I'm into reference audio rather than hi-fi. Generally, hi-fi and home audio is designed to make the audio sound as good as possible, whereas reference audio is designed to make it sound as 'real' as possible - that is, it has no sort of enhancement or coloration, and has flat response across all frequency ranges. This is essential when you make your own music because you can get a feel of what the music will sound like on all kinds of speakers.

What I do know is that they have wooden components and really high grade materials. While this looks and feels great, it's probably a lot of the price you're paying. It's up to you whether you want to pay extra to be able to show off (and frankly, who wouldn't when you pay this kind of price for in-ear headphones) or not. Internally, it's neodymium which is pretty standard, 10Hz - 22kHz is about standard; it may lack a tiny bit of really high treble but its bass response is particularly low, which is good.

Essentially, these headphones are overpriced, though surprisingly not by too much. This is because of the eco-friendly materials and the design. Only the capsule is encased in thin wood, which makes no effect on the environment really, and probably bumps the price up an extra 20 dollars.

10. UndercoverGypsy

Cool, thanks for that! My headphones are that, and my Sennheiser HD 205s which I just picked up at a tech shop because my headphones broke, but luckily they're pretty sweet for relatively cheap over-ears - they definitely beat the living shit out of beats... :icon_bigg. It would be fun to learn more about audio - building some speakers would be a pretty sweet project, Cory Doctorow sort of makes me want to try making a cheap speaker in a tuna can...

11. Canis_Lupus

When I had my XBox I used Tritton headphones. Amazing sound. I sold my XBox to buy my PS Vita, which I am on right now and I absolutely love this thing, but GameStop wouldn't take my headphones. So I still use them to watch movies without disturbing my parents.