1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Console Gaming

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RavioliFaceMan, Mar 5, 2013.

1. I have never liked console gaming, but I never really knew why until Peter Molyneux pointed out a good point - console gaming is done on the sofa or the bed from afar, whereas PC gaming is done right in front of you. This makes PC gaming more intimate. I can lose hours and hours to my PC, whereas I'm bored of my PS3 within thirty minutes.

PCs are much more personal than games consoles, because one spends days picking the perfect one, months of their life working and procrastinating on it, customizing it, overclocking, styling it to their liking, while a PS3 is more of a closed book. You turn it on, play, then turn it off again. Simple as that.

I also find that the keyboard and mouse work much better for the games I like to play, such as Skyrim and Dishonoured, as they are for more precise and reactive than a controller. When playing Skyrim on my PS3, I get frustrated on the lack of control I have. PS3 also means no modding, no editing, no cheating - it cripples games like Skyrim completely.

Games on PC can be easily pirated, which is handy for those without the cash, and it goes without saying that graphically, a decent PC easily beats any current console you can throw at it (my average-priced business notebook is probably more powerful than all the current gen consoles put together).

So yeah, that's why I don't like console gaming (although I keep buying new games for my PS3, 360, and even Wii, but I'm always disappointed). This isn't an argument thread, just one to share your own opinion. Please don't argue that other people's opinions and preferences are 'wrong'; just give your own.

2. vyvance

I use pc for some genres and console for others. For FPS games I'll take a keyboard and mouse over a controller any day. For fighting games I prefer console. RPGs I can really go either way on.

Computer games are nice for modding purposes though for sure. I have so many mods for Oblivion, but could never enjoy that on console.

#2 vyvance, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. FemCasanova

I totally sit on the other fence :grin:

I prefer console games over PC games, pretty much because to me a PC never works right, there`s always something wrong with it, the game is too demanding, the PC needs fixing or cleaning up, it`s the wrong type of game to the wrong type of PC, or you just had a PC virus that cleaned your hard drive empty. You constantly need better parts, you always have to give it attention and fix it up because the darned thing is constantly a naggy bitch complaining about this or that, error this, error that.

My steady and dependable Xbox 360 will never fail me, it accepts all games for X box, always turns on, never argues with me or glitches, doesn`t need updating, or maintenance, or repairs. Doesn`t require me having technical insight, as long as I know where the power button is. All the best games come for X boc 360 and I love the feeling of a nice controller in my hands. I even like the smell of it! And I like the fact that I have to buy the game, and don`t pirate it. I love saving up for months to get my hands on a game I have waited for. It`s small, doesn`t take much space and a hell of a lot cheaper than a new computer when the old one dies.

Consoles rock! You can trust them for steady entertainment and happy times :grin:

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Game platforms are like people in our lives. PCs require a gentle touch and craploads of time and money, like a committed relationship, and reward you very fully if you treat them right. Consoles, on the other hand, are more like hookers. Pay up front, have your fun, and have a nice day. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Not as deeply fulfilling, but easier to deal with and gets the job done.

Speaking literally though, it is best to have both a console and desktop computer. There are obviously pros and cons that keep one from being wholly better than the other. And for people who love controllers, Microsoft makes Xbox controllers specifically for PCs, so you don't have to sacrifice that :wink:.

5. Convoy

Microsoft doesn't make xbox controllers for PC's, XBOX's are basically small computers that use controllers that interface though a wireless system (2.4ghz, wifi, BT, etc) or though USB. My wired 360 controller hooks up to my PC as fine as it would any console system.

I use my desktop for things other than gaming so it has worked out in the long run but gaming on Consoles has just become an underwhelming experience. Modern TV's often have very high latency rates for the video and console setup, not an issue on most video systems but it can be extremely frustrating for competitive gamers. Monitors often have response times under 25 milliseconds if not less and even that riles some people up.

Plus all my games still work on my PC years later while I've lost some consoles to failures. Things are changing with that though, now with DRM protection and everything you have to lobby the company's if you install the games too many times; in the future they'll have to be hacked if(when) the company's shut down.

I do like consoles and computers alike, but in the end I'm more a PC gamer than anything. It's stood the test of time and I don't see it dispersing in the near future, since the only real advantage consoles can offer are simplicity and UI; graphics and networking will forever be PC's advantage.

PC's don't cost that much either, but it depends on how far into it you want to get. If all you want to do is play some modern games at console res(1280x1024 or lower in general) then it's not hard to build a full system under $800 (Screen, etc inclueded) to do that. If you want to be using multi screen (2800x2100 and other screen sizes above 1920x1080) then you'll have to spend a pretty penny but there is little chance that the system won't run just about anything you can throw at it.

I do like consoles for kicking back with some friends, but nothing can beat a good lan fest :icon_wink.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's what I was talking about really, but the cord is too short to realistically use one for a console from the couch. I think of it as specifically for PC use.

7. Convoy

It's like 9 feet long :/. If your sitting further than that then I don't think that there's a wired controller that will ever work w/o an extension.

The wireless ones have a cord for charging that really won't work for use but you need a receiver for it (and they stopped selling them for PC's if I recall).

There are controllers made just for PC use, but a regular wired xbox 360 controller works just fine.

8. FemCasanova

:roflmao:

Brilliant, guess I prefer hookers then! But hey, I always were honest about my commitment issues, it doesn`t help that I don`t really shit money, like wives and computers demand!

Me and my Hooker X Box are (!) all night long :thumbsup:

And I didn`t know that about the controllers. Kind of cool! I don`t know what it is about them that I love, but I do like the smell, sigh. And holding them feels more satisfying than a a keyboard. Maybe it`s some sort of lesbian penis replacement? Great, now I am feeding into the stereotype that all female gamers are lesbians, sigh.

---------- Post added 6th Mar 2013 at 12:12 AM ----------

#8 FemCasanova, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  9. I've never had to repair my PC and it's never failed to run a game perfectly at ultra settings (it was only about $1000 too - I know it's a hefty investment but it's hardly the end of the world, and I needed it for my work). I don't get viruses 'cause I browse safely, and my PC won't need upgrading for a least six months. It just so happens that I'm getting funding to put a record label together and part of that funding is going towards a mastering PC with two GTX 680s in.

I must say, every time I turn on my PS3 I have to spend half an hour (no joke) waiting for it to update, then an extra 10 minutes updating the game, then ages to load everything up. I formatted my PS3 'cause I thought it must be getting full of junk, but no - that's just how slow it is. My XBox isn't as bad but there are only two games for it that I'll play, so it's a bit useless. The Wii is a Wii.

I like that on a PC, it's always on, so you can just launch your game, and there it is, in glorious graphics, moddable, hackable, with command lines and whatever else.

Anyway, if something went wrong with my PS3, I would have no idea what to do. I feel much more comfortable with a PC in this way 'cause I know I can fix anything that goes wrong with it.

10. FemCasanova

Well, I never advertised for PS3, did I :lol:

No, X Box 360 all the way! It is definitely in my opinion the best console. As for PC, updating it every year, or half a year, is too much for me. My X box has been running smoothly for 4 years, and all I have to do is push a button. And the graphics on the newest games are pretty much just as good as the PC games, with a good TV connected to my baby.

11. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Overtime I have gone from console gaming to PC and handheld gaming. I find it really hard to invest time these days into my console games for various reasons the main one being unless the game I'm playing is new or an old favorite I don't tend to ge as engrossed in it as I usually do.

With PC gaming there is games not available on consoles and in some cases mods/expansions to keep me playing a game for much longer. Another thing I like about PC gaming is making your own levels, stories, etc via modding or making your own game.

Lastly with portable gaming there is the fact that it is portable meaning I can play anywhere I go making bus trips much more enjoyable. Also now with remakes/ports and high-quality portable versions of console games making it more preferable for me to get the portable games.

I think these days the only time I use consoles (N64, Wii & 360), is to play older games offered via their stores or by buying them online.

12. I have had this lapto pfor about 2 years and it's still on top of things. I really don't think you've used a PC for gaming, really. Also I do have an XBox, but to be frank, it's just a bit poo. Besides the fact that there are no decent games available for the console, it's just weak, and the controllers are actually painful to hold.

13. therunawaybff

I like using the XBox 360, but after switching to an ASUS gaming laptop, I went PC and never went back.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS! :grin:

14. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    *High Fives*

One of the perks of PC gaming. :eusa_danc

15. FemCasanova

Controllers are perfectly shaped for my hands, you feel more powerful with one of those in your hands, compared to just finger-tapping a keyboard :lol:

(I think you could insert like 50 sexual/genital innuendos with that one, but I can`t help how I feel :icon_redf )

And no decent games? All the decent games runs with X box;

Resident Evil 4/5/6
    Skyrim/Oblivion
    Dragon`s Dogma
    the Mass Effect series
    Dragon Age I/II
    Dead Space I/II/III
    Bioshock I/II
    Call of Duty series
    Crysis series
    Fear series
    Final Fantasy X and out
    Halo series
    Need for Speed series
    Saints Row series

.... and a lot of others crossing into genres that I don`t know or like.

List of Xbox 360 games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

946 games for X box 360
    772 games for PS3

Though now at the end of this post I realize I am crossing into obsessive argumentation. Sorry, the fanatic gamer in me needs :help:

Oh, well :lol:

16. vyvance

I was with you till you said Dragon Age II, lol. Don't know how they went so wrong when the first was so good.

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of those games can be had on PC, sometimes for free if you look carefully. Thought this was worth mentioning. :wink:

And unrelated, but Dragon Age II really did *not* hold my attention at all. And I'm a rabid Bioware fanboy. What went so horribly wrong?

18. therunawaybff

From what I can tell? EA fucked them on their development deadlines in order to meet an unrealistic shipping date. I think they're going to do better on DAIII though. Apparently they're going to be taking a lot of "open world" cues from Skyrim. An open world DA game in the style fo Skyrim would pretty much make me jizz myself, haha.

As for me personally, I just really hated all those damned creepy loading screens. I mean, you had a loading screen just from one area to the next. Ludicrous.

I actually have a controller for my gaming laptop. But now that I've gotten used to the keyboard controls, I rarely use it anymore.

19. Harve

Skyrim + DA:O combined would be too much to handle for me.

20. I actually thought that da 2 was better, but they were both pretty disastrous. My copy of sim city just arrived and I'm crazy excited! Also, it seems that EA see themselves as gods now - they destroyed dead space, sim city and apparently da too for getting too involved. They're going crazy with DRM and microtransactions ATM :frowning2:

---------- Post added 7th Mar 2013 at 06:40 PM ----------

I feel way more powerful with a keyboard, a huge amount of mappable controls, more customisable experience etc. Also only 2 of the games you mentioned are playable by my standards, and both of them are better on another console. The number of games available for consoles really doesn't mean anything, it's about quality, and I'm afraid the Xbox lacks that.