1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Associate's degree?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by theMaverick, Mar 7, 2013.

1. theMaverick

Will an associate's degree in IT/Network Support lead to a job or should I choose some other IT area?

2. vyvance

Entry level, sure. Also, certifications can carry you in the IT field. Get a Cisco certification, and you definitely won't be wanting for work.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds good for IT at least. One thing is sure, though. Just like vyvance said, get certifications. Microsoft, Cisco, anything that says you're authorized to work on specific systems. People who fix computers are always in high demand.

4. RainbowMan

I consider myself, in the words of Malcolm Gladwell, an "outlier", That being said, I don't have a college degree (of any level), and make a 6-figure income at a major financial institution.

I have an extremely in-demand skillset, and people are willing to pay for that. If you can do something that's rare to have people experienced in, then they're willing to pay through the nose for it. Just remember to keep evolving, because everyone else will develop those same skills once they see they're in high demand :slight_smile:.

5. Convoy

It depends. Yes I believe a degree in IT can be a good thing, but I've seen some programs and degrees that were less strenuous than my high school classes :eek:.

That wouldn't help me at all and would just cost a lot of money for nothing, probably wouldn't even learn anything. So course selection and rigor are important, even mid level collages and state places can have some pretty good, hard courses that will be worth something.