1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indie games to watch

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RavioliFaceMan, Mar 27, 2013.

1. I'm a PC gamer, 'nuff said. And one of the really strong points of PC gaming is indie games. Game development for Windows is very accessible and Steam Greenlight, Humble etc are really making it possible for developers to start popping up all over the place.

I have a few games currently on my watch list that are in development (and that I have donated to via Kickstarter/Indiegogo).

Castle Story - a little RTS/building game, where you control little bricktron guys to build castles and defend them against invasion using real physics. The appeal for me is that it's really quirky and simple, but has huge replayability. The developers have a really focused way of developing; they're not being too ambitious, but are constantly coming out with fantastic stuff.

Starforge - quite similar to GMod with plenty of inspiration drawn from Minecraft. This has been in development for a long, long time, and I finally bought the alpha and had a go. It's really not what the trailer makes it out to be, and it seems that the developers are trying to do way too much at once. They've tried adding a story but made no effort in doing so, so it's pretty unimpressive. There are only three developers making this, so with such a huge scope, they will not have the time to perfect each feature, so it'll be rough around the ages. Regardless, I'm still intrigued to see what happens. The character movement is very impressive, but apart from that, there's nothing much to see yet.

Another game on my watch list is Godus, although this is not strictly indie. It is crowd-funded, but it comes from the success of Lionhead and Peter Molyneux. It's made by the guys that made Curiosity, and it's looking pretty fantastic. They're keeping us up to date with videos fairly regularly, so we can see decisions being made. It's interesting to see where things are going wrong in their development - I have noticed a few decisions they've made that will really kick them in the backside later on. The game is basically a reincarnation of Populous, and it truly does look magnificent do far. It is graphically beautiful, and works fantastically, even in prototype stages. perhaps this mix of indie style development but from a renowned developer is a winning combination.

Anyway, I'm just wanting to know what everyone else is looking out for atm in regards to indie games. It's a serious interest of mine so I want to know what everyone else thinks I should watch.

2. sexyalex

I used to play online MMORPGs but now im addicted to Tomb Raider and it's new multiplayer feature.
    I also like Batman Arkham city and Saint Row III

3. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Waiting for Dreamfall chapters and Torment: Tides of Numenera. Both are from teams that split up from bigger companies and are funding the games through kickstarter, have high hopes(especially for Chapters).