1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Caliber, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i really hate my laptop, nothing but problems, first was the blue screen of death, second was virus problems and now the third issue the weird little streak down the right hand side of the screen it comes up and then vanished again it is weird it only comes up occasionally does anyone know what it is.

also what has been your best/worst laptop and laptop issue that you've ever had

2. Night Rain

My worst one was when my 6 year-old laptop would just freeze randomly, sometimes even in the boot screen. I lost a lot of time and some of my work (cos it froze when the files were still saving). Needless to say, it drove me crazy. Now it doesn't freeze anymore.

3. Convoy

I do my own computer maintenance so I generally don't have any serous issues. I've had machines overheat, blowup, malware infection, etc but that happens in life. Worst was a machine my sister had that blew up and caught on fire, I said the PSU was over taxed but it never got replaced.

Far as Laptops I guess my old CF-25 died from a fault of it's own quality; it's battery inside (Bios) died and reset the pass-codes to all of the default, forever lost somewhere in the desert gulf and un-operatable. I junked it after that; Had a friend blow a memory stick the other week too.

It sounds like your laptop might be overheating or a ribbon cable might be crushed or stretched. It's a good idea to grab a can of duster and blow them out every once in a while. Might be a malware issue for the BSOD's; try a cleaner or a fresh install (Where I lean if there is reg errors; cleaning/fixing reg issues is a pita).

Worst machine I ever used ironically was an iMac, big self contained one; it crashed for no apparent reason other than overheating and while most stuff saved, it was annoying. No way to service them either.

4. I've never really had an issue with my laptop. I used to work in computer maintenance and I've always been into it, and I genuinely don't think there's a problem I can't fix now.

Worst laptop I had was a Macbook Pro. I thought I could handle it, but I only lasted a couple of weeks before I couldn't take any more.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never had a good laptop. Of course, all were bought old and very used. None were new enough for the Internet, except limited browsing via the wonders of Netscape Navigator. (My Internet machine has always been a desktop model.) All laptops were toys, and something I could use for some tasks like writing. None lasted long. One came to me with a bug in the screen. Literally. No idea what kind of bug it was, but it was a face that only an entomologist could love. Fortunately, it was in the lower corner.

The next laptop worked OK, and it was so useful--I could take it to a small eating area off the kitchen where I then lived, and write by the window. But then the power port broke.

The final specimen only worked on whim from day 1.

At least, I've had the strength lately to just say no when an old, cheap laptop crosses my path.

6. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Worst problem I ever had was a broken screen. (The laptop fell from a table when I tripped over the power cord). It was an easy fix.

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Have you got something like Norton to protect your laptop, if not you should, it stops you getting things like virus's :slight_smile:

8. theMaverick

There's no excuse for not having virus protection software, there's even free ones out there.

Sorry if that sounded preachy.

The worst problem I had was with an HP laptop, the hard drive kept crashing, they replaced it three times before the problem was solved.

---------- Post added 6th Apr 2013 at 10:14 AM ----------

I did the old computer thing for a while, but I finally started buying new ones. It's worth it. So terribly worth it. I've had my current one (Samsung NP-SF511) for almost 2 years now, daily use, and it's a trooper. It's been dropped, knocked off tables, had stuff spilled on it and I've not had any problems with it, at all. Samsung really knows how to build stuff, I guess. The only thing I've noticed is lately it's starting to get a little slower, and the battery life isn't what it used to be, but I can still get almost a full day before it has to be recharged, and I can probably get it to speed back up.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've had good luck with used desktop machines. But they take a lot less abuse than a laptop does. I've heard some suggest that a laptop should never be bought used, and I think there may be merit to that.

I don't recall the model, but I liked a Samsung laptop I saw a year or so back. Non-glare screen (my preference), and decent keyboard.

The slowing down is probably software. I don't know about now, but Windows at least up to XP seemed to have a real problem with the slowing down with age and use.

10. theMaverick

I think I probably just need to clear off some stuff, free up some space, etc. I have Windows 7, and I'm keeping it. Windows 8 is not for me.

11. Adarya

I'm currently having my first laptop computer problem; my protection trial ended and I got a virus in my computer about five minutes later, while I was trying to watch a live-feed which included downloading suspicious software (AKA I'm an idiot for doing so when I didn't even know my protection software had crashed).

My internet explorer main web has stopped working completely, so I can only use Google on my Windows 8. It sucks because I really need to use internet explorer/that program to work on a website that I've created that might be up for awards :dry:

And unfortunately I know next to nothing about computer viruses, problems, and how to solve them.

12. rg93

That's what basically happened to my last laptop, it was pretty awesome while it lasted, but it just kept getting slower and slower after about 2,5 years and eventually it just couldn't run windows and crashed. I am pretty sure it was because of the battery being ravaged, because I did have it plugged up for long periods of time while using it and it's said that that breaks them. I didn't know! :frowning2: Anyway, a new battery should fix it, but I just can't be bothered, my PC is much more powerful and there are really rare cases where I should take a laptop with me outside the house.

13. RainbowMan

Best laptops in the world - Lenovo ThinkPad's (not the IdeaPad).

Yes, you'll pay a premium for them. They are tanks. I stepped on mine once, cracked the LCD, but that's the only damage that came to it (I have a friend who's really good at servicing laptops, so my cost was parts - about $100 - to get that back to working). That particular machine is 4-5 years old, was high end at the time, and is still quite serviceable (I run Linux on it, so no idea how Windoze would do)

I just bought a new one as well, a T430. Nice machine, I bought that exact one from that exact vendor because I could get it that day (my previous HP laptop was stolen....) and it had Windows 7 on it (which I need for various things sadly).

14. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got virus protection, always have used Norton, the last laptop i had i dropped and the screen cracked once replaced it turns out there was a tiny cord that snapped that costs a lot of money to replace