1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Made the switch to Ubuntu... help?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RavioliFaceMan, Apr 12, 2013.

1. So I finally gave it a real shot. I was tired of Windows gettnig sluggish a few months after formatting, so I though Linux was the obvious step to take. Disappointingly, it doesn't really do what I hoped it would. Wine won't run Traktor Pro or any games. That's why I decided to make another partition for Win8.

The problem is, when I try and install Win8 to that partition, it has problems with the UEFI hard disk (cannot install to GPT partition type). I used the Windows disk to erase the partition and make a new NTFS one, but still no good. Any ideas? Someone suggested using the UEFI boot mode for the disk but my BIOS doesn't seem to support that, as far as I can see.

Also, if anyone can help me out with installing ALSA, that'd be great. I don't really get how to recompile my kernel and what to do, and there's no step-by-step guide for complete beginners online, as far as I can see.

2. Hefiel

It seems to be easier to install Ubuntu after you've installed Windows 8. This link should help : Dual-boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10 on UEFI hardware - LinuxBSDos.com

Otherwise, if you don't want to reinstall Ubuntu, you could try to go on Ubuntu, load up GParted and create a partition for Windows 8 from there rather than using the Windows tool. It's possible that you might have to mess with Grub to be able to boot on Windows 8 if you do it this way.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been able to get Steam and Counter Strike: Source to work on wine. Wine is a compatibility layer. It's meant to run Windows program; it's not meant to actually run Windows on top of.