1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wayyyy off topic. Computer geek required

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by DanD, Apr 13, 2013.

1. DanD

Ever since moving exactly one month ago, my computer seems to have a problem it didn't have before I moved.
    When I'm typing an email, on a forum, writing in word etc., the cursor (or straight line thing that tells you where you are) keeps disappearing. Twice so far just typing this.

I've Googled it, but have no idea what it could be. The only difference is that I used to have a yellow ethernet cable running into the model, and now, as the modem is in a shop below, I have this awful dongle piece of crap that makes watching youtube painfully slow - that's the only difference I can think of.

However, the problem persists whether I'm connected to the internet, and when I'm not - so, surely this rules out the dongle?

I'm going ever so slightly mad about this, as I'm working on three Novels and two short stories, and this is not helping.

Any idea's :confused:

Also, the internet crashes lots of times every hour, which is also getting on my nerves.

2. Ariadne

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Uh, I'm not a computer geek, but have you tried going to Keyboard > Cursor blink rate? That seemed to fix mine when it acted up a while ago. Just look it up in the control panel, use the search function for easier access.

As for the internet issue, I have no idea. Is the cable in one functional piece? I used to have that issue when I had a bad ethernet cable.

Sorry about being unable to help any further.

3. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you can keep on typing after it disappears then it's is harmless but annoying. If it happens in word then it has nothing to do with the internet as far as I know. A number of things can cause a internet disconnect. Sorry I can't do much to help.

4. Hefiel

As far as your internet connection goes, I'm not sure what exactly your options are in regards to choosing an ISP or dealing with them. If the connection is intermittent, there's a bunch of possible reasons for this. When the internet crashes, what do you do to get the internet back online? Do you reset your computer, the router, the modem, etc? Also, are you directly connected to the Modem (less likely), or are you connected to a Router that is connected to the modem (more likely)?

I highly doubt it's related, but it's something many people rarely ever do and then they come to me because their computer is a mess: Check your computer for viruses (Any free anti-virus, could also use free tools like Malwarebytes and Spybot Search&Destroy). Might also defragment your computer (if you have Windows XP in particular) and also clean up the cookies/temp files that shows up. Could also clean the dust off your computer while you're at it if it hasn't been done.

But I'm much more interested in how you solve your internet connection issue when it goes down. That should at least tell me where the problem is coming from.

5. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I'm assuming by cursor you mean the insertion point. Go to the mouse settings in the control panel and make sure that the option for hiding the cursor while typing is not enabled. If that doesn't fix it then sometimes it can be caused by a video driver that needs to be updated.

6. Convoy

I would think malware or software issues. I had some software that would do this until recently with updates and patches. Sometimes it just happens with bugs in certain apps and although it can be annoying it usually is harmless.

I'd check for malware, rootkits, spyware, etc too since they can cause general function issues as well.

7. DanD

Thanks for the replies so far guys, and apologies for initially posting this in the wrong section.

I'm renting a room above a shop, and the router is in the shop, so I have no control over it. When I notice the internet has crashed, I click the internet icon and the 'open network and sharing centre', then click the red 'x' which automatically sorts it out - until it crashes again!

Yes, it's the vertical line that tells you where you are on the page, and it keeps disappearing when I'm connected to the internet and when I'm not. I have checked the mouse settings, and everything is fine - and hasn't been changed since it was working 100%

I've done a full system scan with Malwarebytes which returned zero problems, so I don't think it's a virus or anything.

It certainly is a weird one, and I really want to sort it out asap, as it's a real hindrance to my writing work.

Thanks in advance, love you all

8. Hefiel

That's a bit of a bummer if you don't have any control over the router. Are there anyone else that uses the internet where you live (could be the shop) where they experience loss of internet connection?

If not, when you lose your connection to the internet, open your browser and type in the URL bar your router address (commonly 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1). If you don't know what your router address is, you can open the Command Prompt, type ipconfig and look for the IP Address that appears after "Default Gateway" (I believe that's what it's called in English). If there's no Default Gateway, the issue could be coming from the router or your computer.

To access the command prompt
    For Windows XP : Start > Run > type cmd
    For Vista and above : Start > Search > type either cmd or command prompt

If the page shows on your browser, chances are that your connection issue might be coming from your ISP.

9. DanD

The IP is 192.168.7.1 - The internet went down and I typed it into the URL and it went to a 'log in' Draytec box?????

10. Hefiel

Then it's likely that your internet issue comes from your ISP (well, the shop's ISP), in which case there's not much that can be done. You could try to see with the shop owner what ISP he is using and contact them to try and see if there's a possible solution on their end, but if they have to send a tech, you'd have to let the shop owner handle that.

11. DanD

I'll ask, but I'm pretty sure they won't do anything about it. Thanks for the help anyway

12. Mrcake

YOu have some form of a virus or spyware for sure! I know that this problem is very common when you get malware or spyware\viruses. Try doing a full scan of your computer for viruses, including the disk defragmenter. If this doesn't solve the problem, then do a system restore to the day before you moved and that could fix it.

13. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

If the network troubleshooter fixes the issue, then its not likely a virus or the ISPs problem. Next time it crashes, go to the network adapter, disable it, and Re-enable it and see if that fixes the issue without you having to use the troubleshooter.

You say you have a dongle that connects to your network from your PC. I would believe that to be the culprit.

#13 Stridenttube, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
  14. DanD

I agree, as this is the only thing that's different since moving (had ethernet cable before) but surely it should do what it's doing?

Also, i have no idea where the network adapter is - if it's in the shop I don't have any access to it :frowning2: which sucks

15. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I'm talking about your PC's network adapter. I own network and sharing center on your PC and open "manage network connections" next time the internet stops working, disable and enable it .

Also, you can try opening a command prompt again and typing "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotation marks and see if that resolves the problem.

#15 Stridenttube, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
  16. DanD

Thanks. I've purchased a better and much faster dongle, and it has only crashed twice in 2-3 hours, and the cursor thing has been perfect :slight_smile: