1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Space Eating virus help

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MtnFr3sh, Apr 20, 2013.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So, recently I got a notification on low disk space, on a 450 GB hard-drive. So I started deleting unnecessary files and removing programs I don't used. I used the Disk Cleanup program and the defragmenation program. After all that, I have 19.8 GB of free space. I asked my boyfriend about this (He's really good with computers) he gave me some links to scans and stuff which turned up nothing. My computer speed has NOT been affected at all by the low space.

He said it must be a Space Eater which eats up hard drive space and disguises itself as a system file, but he doesn't know how to find them and get rid of them. He also just asked his friends who are virus writers, he said what I tried to do and they said "I have no :***: ing idea what he should do then."

If anybody knows what I can do please help!

2. Hefiel

Would be good to know what Antivirus you're using and whatever else you used to scan your computer. If they were not good enough, it's probably time to consider changing antivirus to something a little better (especially considering spacer eater-type virus aren't exactly new). Also make sure your computer is updated with the latest windows update.

As far as how to solve the Space Eater virus, there are 2 ways to go about it. You could try to search for a file that has a very large size (in gigabytes) like
    "spaceshot.dll " and delete it.

If you want to play it a bit safer, a website I've found suggested using ComboFix. I'm not familiar with the tool so I can't help much more here, but here's the link : ComboFix | freeware
    The website also had some instructions on how to use the tool :

Disable all your anti virus and Anti-malware and similar programs
    Disconnect from Internet
    Only then Start scanning with Combo Fix
    Don't close the scan window until it get complete.
    You'll get your lost space back.

Hope it helps.

3. Mysz

I would be afraid of ComboFix being a legitimate freeware, however- nothing so good in life is free. You definitely should consider getting a better antivirus- I use Kaspersky and it's very up to date.
    Hefiel's method of deleting the virus file could help- I had a virus that made my computer run very slow(not a space-eater), went into a bunch of temp files and program files and finally found it, deleted it, and had no more problem. I got the Kaspersky antivirus system after that incident.

4. Hefiel

ComboFix seems legitimate, it's available on major sites like CNET as well.

5. Kyllani

You could also try Malwarebytes/. It picks up some viruses that others won't pick up.

6. Zontar

Um, I'm not aware of a "Space Eating" virus. In fact, vandalism isn't the MO of virus writers anymore, they mainly want your bank info to steal. Filling up your hard drive will only tip you off and work toward their goal of getting it.

The first thing I would do is download SpaceMonger 1.4 (the old free one) which will give you a graphical representation of your hard disk. Bigger boxes = bigger files. I'm willing to bet you're running out of RAM and your pagefile is growing out of control to compensate, in which case, you'll have an obnoxiously large "pagefile.sys". The only solution to this, unfortunately, is to buy more RAM (probably not feasible) or close background programs.

7. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow, this helped... that program helped a LOT
    Now I have this problem, I tried uninstalling google earth to get rid of it, Google Earth is gone, but it looks like the folders are still there. I tried deleting that massive folder from there, it maxed out the estimated deletion time.
    [​IMG]

This folder is supposedly taking up 348.8 GB

#7 MtnFr3sh, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  8. Ridiculous

Select the folder and try shift+delete rather than the 'normal' rightclick menu delete.

9. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I FIXED IT! I had to locate each folder individually and delete it's contents!

10. Mrcake

Just want to say, make sure that you have a good antivirus program. Try getting AVg anti virus, it is free and effective! Malwarebytes is good also, but that is just for malware. If you want to pay money per year, Norton is the best in my opinion.