1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one who actually likes Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Aussie792, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, to start with, I am not overly technologically skilled, so I don't do any programming or anything of that sort. Windows 8 has been getting a bad response from so many people, but I like it. I'm terrible with computers usually, but Windows 8 is so easy!

So, what does everyone else think about it? And does the new PC/tablet hybrid format cause any problems for anyone?

2. LateRobert

Hi
    We have 3 tablets, and 4 computers. We opted to put Windows 8 on one computer so everyone could try it out, and then decide if we put it on the others. We have all set up our own accounts how we like, but only myself of a family of 4 use the Windows' 8 computer now. Everyone tells me it is not easy to use or intuitive and they all like Windows 7 much better

3. Dynamite

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Windblows 8 is awful. I just got Windows 7 pro and love it. I don't see why Microsoft keeps putting out new Operating Systems every 3 to 4 years. Windows 7 will be the new XP in time.

4. bagginses

bagginses Guest

I hate windows * with a passion.
    Took me 3 hours to do a research essay on windows 8. It usually only takes me about 1and a half hours.

5. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't like it at first, but I have adapted to it. Still have some small issues with it, though.

6. Hefiel

Tried it, hated it. Unintuitive, some ridiculous decisions made here and there, optimized more for tablets rather than PC because of the touchscreen options, etc. I've been gradually moving towards Linux instead (Ubuntu).

7. June Cleaver

I am ok with it, but still prefer my old IBM totable 386 running Windows 3.1. June

8. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    I like it, but it's hard to get used to after years of other models... Thank goodness you can get to a normal desktop on Windows 8!

9. Eric

I don't really have any major issues with Windows 8 anymore. I use Pokki as a start menu which disables that silly tablet interface, so I'm quite happy now. As with all operating systems, there are things I don't like and things I do like, but the experience is virtually the same in Win7 imo.

10. photoguy93

I recently used a Windows 8 computer....and I was like "WTF?!" See, the joys of having something like a MAC is that it's pretty damn simple.

I think they are trying to hard to be something they aren't! When I had a windows PC, I loved how I could do whatever I wanted! I could do so much more with it than my Mac. So, when I got on a windows 8 computer, I was like.....wtf?

A friend of mine (who isn't very tech savy) got a Windows 8 computer and loves it. So... I think it's going towards a different trend?

11. Eric

If you want to be able to do whatever you want, you don't want a Microsoft or Apple operating system. Linux-based systems are typically the most customizable, though they aren't always especially user-friendly, and many of the better distros have a huge learning curve.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like it. It's goofy in places and clearly designed with tablets rather than PCs in mind, but with that said, it's so fast. From powered down to desktop takes about 5 seconds, compared to minutes in Win 7. Data transfers like installations are also super-quick. Granted I have a good setup, but the difference is astounding.

I'll come around to using the more flouncy features, I suppose.

13. Hysteria

I've pretty much gotten used to it by now. It's not too bad once you've tweaked with some of the settings to enable it to always use the desktop mode rather than the tablet menu and once you've downloaded a start menu it feels absolutely fine.

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There is a learning curve with Linux, although I didn't find it that bad. And I came from the MacOS making me a MacIdiot in the minds of some.

From an ordinary user perspective, some things are done differently with Linux. This may or may not be a problem. I had little problem adapting. However, some Windows users have a huge nightmare. They are so trained in Windows that anything else is hard. Ironically, I think many of these people are the ones getting stung by Windows 8, and also were stung by Office 2007. They know exactly how stuff works...until the rules are rewritten.

Another problem with Linux: so many choices with software. There has been a suggestion from time to time that there should be one entry point distro just to make things easier for the newcomer. While that goes against the spirit of Linux, it does have a certain practicality.

Of course, if you get into advanced stuff--like building your own distro--you need advanced skills. But relatively few users ever reach that point.

15. Naren

Simple answer? Yes, you are the only one. Anyone else who says they like it is a Microsoft plant.

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm gonna be pissed if so, because I haven't gotten a dime from them so far. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I liked it when I had it, but the laptop I had it on died and I converted to Mac.

18. Formality

I prefer windows XP with which things actually work. Windows 7 is and always has been a hassle, I can't imagine how horrible windows 8 must be.

19. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like it. I do everything with it. I adapted to it easily, and I have no problem at all. But that's me.

As for people I've met who don't, in almost all cases they were frustrated because they were unfamiliar with it. They wanted to go back to what they knew.

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It seems to me I remember this being one reason people hated Vista, too. Apart from the fact that Vista was a steaming pile of :***: :***: by all accounts.