1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dota 2 Players?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by UndercoverGypsy, Apr 28, 2013.

1. UndercoverGypsy

Hey guys, I just got Dota 2 a couple of days ago, and despite being shite at it, it's a really fun game. At the moment, I haven't even played any people (just bot matches), but Veno is really fun to play. Any tips or general Dota 2 conversation?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am a League of Legends player, but somebody gifted me DOTA 2 on Steam, so I might try it.

3. Hefiel

The best way to get better at Dota is to watch other players play, and learn all the heroes. DotaCinema on Youtube has some great videos presenting in details the various heroes, so it's worth looking into.

You'll also need to gradually learn various terminology (pulling, trilane, etc), alternative hero names (based on Warcraft 3's DOTA mod, Lifestealer is often called Naix for example), also need to learn about Jungling and Warding. Luckily, you don't have to learn everything at once, it's something you can take your time at, and there are plenty of videos to learn them too.

Keep playing bot matches until you can win most of the time, gradually increase the difficulty as well and once you think you've got a good grasp of the game, start fighting other players in All Pick mode. The matches will be even harder, but at least you'll have the basics down.

4. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I've been playing this game for many years, used to play DotA 1 in Warcraft 3 for a long time too.

There are too many tips I could give you, too many for one post anyway, so I can just give you a few basic tips...

Start out with support heros with stuns/escapes. When you first play public games, it's unlikely you'll do well with carries or semi-carries. Veno is a nice support hero, you should get shadow blade with him, he can use his ultimate, use his poison then just go invisible, wait till the enemies are low hp then finish them off. His poison attack is very good for harassing in lanes as well, and the constant slow from his nuke can be extremely good for getting lvl 1 kills, as the enemy will find it hard to escape, if you have a hero like lina with you it's quite easy to get that lvl 1 kill. Veno can also kill ancients at lvl 1 if you're playing sentinels, I tend to do that because it's very fast gold, levels and means someone can get a free lane. Then you can get early BoT and push lanes pretty fast, as can tinker.

However, veno isn't the best hero to start with, as veno is a very easy hero to gank for someone like vengeful spirit or lina/leon. A hero like leon is very good to start with, his mana drain means he can stay in the lane effectively, he has a good damage nuke that stuns, and a hex, so his ability to escape is very good. His ultimate does a very high damage nuke, so his ganking potential is high too.

Vengeful spirit is an easy hero too, because her nuke has a decent cooldown, with high damage and nice stun. A lot of people fail with her ultimate though and can cause team deaths because of it, so be careful with her ultimate.

When you want to try out being a carry, try viper. His strength is just ridiculous from his passive. He cant get orbs because of it, but shadow blade and manta on viper is insanely strong. His slow isn't too high, but it's high enough that you can keep up with the enemies, so he can easily kill people. His ultimate causes a huge slow, and if you get aghanim's scepter with it (I don't usually do it, only in some circumstances) the slow from his upgraded ultimate is just awesome, enemy heros attack speed gets reduced so much that you can usually take them on with low hp.

The best tips I can give you, are to turn off auto attack and to practice last hitting and especially denying units in lane (as middle and support hero). A lot of people in public games don't play support as support though, and will take creep kills. In higher skilled games the supports only attack creeps if the carry is out of the lane, they usually get gold from pulling mobs, or they just simply don't. The carries are the ones who need the gold to win the game.

Drop me a message if you want some more tips, otherwise good luck! :slight_smile:

All the best.

5. UndercoverGypsy

Thanks, man. I actually just read this after playing a game as Vengeful Spirit, and she seems to work well with Ring of Aquila and Boots of Speed. Apparently Aghanim's Scepter makes her ultimate better, so I'll prob try that out soon. I'll try out Leon in a couple of minutes.

---------- Post added 28th Apr 2013 at 09:23 AM ----------

Yay, I have been watching the right videos! As for learning about terminology, lucky for me, I have several hardcore LoL players as friends who talk about it constantly, so I've picked some of the language up in order to maintain a conversation ("Ermahgerd Nunu ganks so good, and Yi is super O.P. and Kog'maw and stuff"), so that shouldn't be too hard. :slight_smile:

6. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Ring of Aquila can be a nice item for venge. Personally, I play her by rushing phase boots then force staff, however you need to know when to back and when to engage if you do that, because she's very squishy then, but has insane mobility and can escape/engage easy. You can also force-swap enemies that are far away and escaping (like anti-mage), easier to gank those heros then. Or you could force yourself to a tower then swap and stun an enemy, easy kill. You can also force yourself onto terrain you cant move from then swap enemies onto it, so they need a TP to get down, unless they're a hero like anti-mage.

Also, just to note, I meant to say "lion," for some reason I was thinking of a different RTS game I play when I said "leon," but yeah give lion a try, he's awesome. If you get dagon on him early you can dagon then ultimate to instantly kill most heros, without the need to use anything else, but you need to get it quite early to do that. Witch doctor can do the same, if you cast maledict then dagon, the damage from maledict increases so much from the dagon that it is usually enough to kill them.

If you get full member then drop me a private message and we can play some DotA 2 games together :slight_smile: it's even easier to learn if you got someone to help you out and lane with you while you practice. It's hard to support bots properly too, seeing as they don't know how to carry properly and try to do everything themselves (including denying). As well as them not knowing what to do if you pull mobs.

All the best.

7. UndercoverGypsy

Lol, I was wondering about Leon - when you said that, I instantly assumed I'd been reading his name wrong until then. :grin:

About killing enemies with swapping and stunning to towers, I can't believe I didn't think of that! It seems like it would be fun to piss off Roshan, and swap with a really squishy hero...

When I gave Lion a try, I had trouble, but mostly because there are no decent guides for him on youtube that I could see. I'll look some more before playing him again.

As for the full member thing, when I tried to get full member and they asked if any information was false in my account, I admitted that I lied about the month and day of my account (not the year, though) because I didn't trust EC at the time, and I imagine that that's why I didn't get it. I'll ask some admins if they can change my info to the real thing, so that I can get full member.

8. UndercoverGypsy

Full member get! I'll pm you in a little bit.

9. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to try it, but honestly I don't know if I will be able to switch from LoL to Dota 2. Just too used to it and already beat the steep learning curve for LoL that these games have.

10. Zaio

Zaio Guest

DotA 2 is a great game. The high skill bracket is harder than LoL though, as LoL is basically DotA 2 but with every hero having easy escape abilities and no denying, so it's a game of free farm. In DotA 2, every move is absolutely crucial, if you fail to deny for just 1 minute then the game can be over, which is why it's such a great strategic game.

Give it a try :slight_smile:

#10 Zaio, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
  11. Trailblazer

Yeah, Dota2 is definitely more strategic thinking than LoL, much less straight up button mashing too. I'm not the best at it, but I can hold my own in PvP games, I usually stick to support though. It's too fun just standing out of view with kotl sending waves of wind at the enemies killing them before they even have a chance to run lol.

12. Hefiel

One of the only support I like to play is Dazzle, I'm usually pretty decent with him.

I was a beast in Heroes Of Newerth playing as the Dazzle-equivalent hero, playing him like a carry because of his OP skills and using items like SnY. Fun times, but HoN is dead.

Now if only Valve would add Techie already...oh and Pit Lord, that was my favorite hero back in WC3.

13. UndercoverGypsy

Oh my god, of course someone on Empty Closets would play a hero named Dazzle. :roflmao: I can just picture him throwing glitter as an attack.

14. Hefiel

Unfortunately, that's not the case. He's a shaman-type hero that has a poison attack, a healing wave that hurts anyone around the healed targets, a shield that protects someone from death for 6 seconds and a large AoE that buffs your allies defense while debuffing your enemies defense.

No glitter or sparkles involved. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Trailblazer

He's pink though lol

16. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Amusing, I used to play KotL as a carry in Wc1 where there's barely any skill. Going early radiance, HoT and mjollnir :grin: funny.

Using a support as anything other than a support is impossible in high-skilled games though :/ I think Lina is one of my favourite heros, I used to play her support all the time in high-skilled games. She just simply doesn't need gold, has a nice stun and dishes out insane damage, she's a boss.

All the best.

17. Lamonia

Lamonia Guest

Spectating matches helps you understand the game :slight_smile:. Or watching pro matches with commentaries.

I used to play it back when there was a lot of versions of it, one of them had a judgment day where if the game goes on too long some big bot shows up in the middle of the map and one hit ko's everything including building. Pretty cool music played as well. Fun days :slight_smile:.

I like Zues the most in dota 2 I think, cause hes cute. When you spawn he sometimes says - God's gift to the world.....ME :slight_smile:. Spectre and Queen of Pain are pretty cool too.

My avatar is omni and kunka kissing lol ^^. Well omni is anyways.

#17 Lamonia, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  18. AAASAS

Fucking hate Dota, there is no way to get any better when everyone online is a pro. My friend plays still and gets smoked everytime.

19. Zaio

Zaio Guest

The people in matchmaking are absolutely terrible. It's not that everyone is pro, it's that they know the basics, and DotA isn't very friendly in that aspect at first. The bots difficulty scaling is rather shit, so it's difficult to learn the basics on the bots, and there are no supported tutorials for them.

It's really not hard to learn it though, I've taught some new players to be as good as the average pubber in just a couple games. It often seems like the basics wont be enough, but believe me they are. The biggest mistake I see from new people is either letting creeps hit them, attacking too close to enemy towers, not keeping an eye on the minimap or staying way too close to enemy heros that have stuns.

The first thing I usually teach people is just when to back properly. The main reason newbs fail in public games is because they die so much because they don't back at the right times, then they get mega underfed and get farmed on, and they keep doing the same things over and over expecting change. Like instead of switching lanes or jungling they'll keep going to the same lane, keep going past the same ganking points and keep going near towers.

You're a full member so if you want drop me a private message and I can help you in DotA 2. It's easy saying what to do, but until you see it in action it's hard to understand properly, much less implement it yourself.

All the best.

20. Hefiel

I remember having so much trouble with Lina at first. I'm still not very good with her, but I'm definitively much better than I was before. Same goes with Lion, except I'm still horrible with him. For some reasons, it's just these 2 heroes that I really struggled to play well. Even Meepo I do "alright" with, and he's a pain if you can't micro well.