1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get started on game development

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by agonizingnose, Apr 30, 2013.

1. agonizingnose

Look I have SOOOOOO many ideas for a zombie game, not a "shoot 'em up" kind, but more like, the walking dead, sims, fallout, and a general scavenge over killing sort of thing. Focused on survival and relationships 'n stuff. I don't want some Skyrim or Arma 3 looking thing. I would happily settle for a fallout 2 looking thing :slight_smile: But I havent the slightest clue on where to start, and I cant even program or use unity player well. Ideas?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recommend Python. If you actually like programming, then you can look into learning PyGame.

3. Hefiel

For one, you should start to learn some programming basics. Then you'll need to find an engine.

A quick search yielded information about "FIFE" which is described as such on the website

Since you'll be doing isometric games, you'll probably also need to learn a bit about Isometric Projection

The FIFE engine uses Python and C++. I don't really know any resources on C++, but for Python you could look at these 2 sites:
    http://www.codecademy.com

Learn Python The Hard Way

For C++, there's this Youtube user that has a pretty massive database of videos teaching about various programming languages (amongst many other things):
    TheNewBoston - Bucky's C++ Programming Tutorials Playlist.

Hope this helps and have fun.

4. agonizingnose

Thanks I'll look into it. :slight_smile:

5. TryingCynic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I recommend RPG Game Maker to start with. It gives you a really easy to get into RPG Shell, and the whole of the Ruby Game Engine code is accessible to edit, so once you get into more programming skill, you can dig into the Engine.

6. falsereading

falsereading Guest

Don't underestimate the maths involved in programming either (although this might depend on what language you are starting in), might be useful keeping on top of those skills also.

7. Brightsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hear that, I wanna get into CS & programming. But first I've gotta go back to summer school for some extra math credits.

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Man, if you think Fallout 2 is a good bar for a beginning independent dev as opposed to Skyrim, you have a great pair of binoculars to see that high in the sky. Those projects were both done by a gigantic dev team with an obscene budget and hundreds of years of combined experience. You should start off messing around with modeling/texturing in programs like Autodesk 3D Studio Max and Photoshop, but your first game will probably be more like Zork as opposed to Mario.

// Low-Poly Character Modeling and Texturing by Athey Nansel-Moravetz

For creating characters in 3DS Max. Posting this because I personally like modeling best of any part of a development project, and you might too. :slight_smile: Not only that, but there are a bazillion photoshop tutorials around, and if you're even a little bit good at art, you can make some sprite sheets for an isometric style.

#9 Argentwing, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  10. agonizingnose

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if I'm not the most expert game designer around (quite the contrary, I'm a noob too XD) it's always a pleasure to talk with other people who are interested in the process. I'd love to hear your zombie game idea, as I've got some ideas about a zombie RPG myself. Want to share in PMs or in its own thread?

12. agonizingnose

I would love to PM thanks ^^ however I require a full membership, I'll apply now, if I don't get it by tomorrow then we can discuss on the tread. Sound good?

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Works for me. :slight_smile:

14. agonizingnose

okay it takes a couple of days, so either we can wait, or talk on le thread