1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Board Games?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RainbowMan, May 6, 2013.

1. RainbowMan

While most of the content here is dedicated to computer games, what about board games the require you to play in meatspace? I'm just getting into them, and my god it's addicting (and there's no downside to it, except maybe overeating at the deli's that we play at! That and your wallet being empty because you've bought too many games)

I just played Saboteur (with the expansion), Seasons, Archipelago (not my kind of game, a bit complicated but easier once you get into it - and LOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGG), 7 Wonders, probably some others.

What do people like???

2. Cascade

Board games are my passion, even though I may not win as often as I would like. I enjoy playing Settlers of Catan, Dungeons and Dragons, 7 Wonders, Ticket to Ride, Scrabble and many more.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I played Settlers of Catan for the first time last week. While I think it's definitely lacking in the conflict aspect (it's all about growth and no changes once established) it's a really well thought-out game which has depth while being easy to pick up.

I want to get back into DnD, though. It's not so much a board game as a game that sometimes involves a board, but tons of fun.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to really like board games, but it's been years since I played any, and even longer since I played regularly. One fantasy is getting an opportunity to play board games more often.

The games mentioned here are ones played years back. And there is a huge amount of sentiment wrapped up:
    • The last board game I played regularly was Scrabble, which I played fairly regularly with my mother towards the end of her life. It was one of the few games she liked. I have a vague memory of being out of bed when I shouldn't be as a small child, and seeing my parents in the living room playing Scrabble.
    • Cheating a bit, I'll add cribbage. Yes, it's a card game, but it also has a board. It was another game I played with my mother at the end of her life, and the other game she liked. It was also a hugely important family game--one grandmother was seriously addicted.
    • Finally, last, but not least, there is Clue. Not the most intellectually challenging game, perhaps, but then there are times when one does not want a challenge. This game also has family history.

---------- Post added 6th May 2013 at 10:46 PM ----------

Dungeons and Dragons got mentioned a couple of times. I've never played it, but have always thought it sounded interesting.

This might be of interest for those who like Dungeons and Dragons. It was written by Brent Hartinger, author of Geography Club.

Everything I Know I Learned From Dungeons & Dragons

5. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    dungeons and dragons, flux, and my current favorite is the battlestar galactica board game. SO FUN. who is the cylon?? takes a few hours and a lot of people but its worth it. I love a good game that ruins friendships.

6. Level75

We should be friends \( ' ')/ Unless you're the green golddigger, then you're no friend of mine.

I like Saboteur as well. I also enjoy King of Tokyo, Summoner Wars, Smash Up, Onirim, The Resistance, and a couple of others I can't think of off the top of my head at the moment.

7. Sabinian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a big fan of Diplomacy, Imperial, Catan, Smallworld, Ticket to Ride, and Scrabble.

I generally like to try new strategy games but haven't had the time to dedicate to it.

8. RainbowMan

It so happens I was the green golddigger last time I played :grin:

9. FemCasanova

Mostly we play brain games at my family`s place, like Geni, Scrabble, etc. Anything that requires thinking. Also Fantasy is fun. That`s about it, when it comes to board games we play! :slight_smile: But it`s fun though!

10. Sapphy

My favourite is Pay Day, but it's hard to find nowadays.

11. RedPowerRanger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    This year i been playing Draughts. Didn`t think i would enjoy it. I`m on a great winning streak. Others i played are frustration and scrabble.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chess is the only one I can really think of. I'm medicore at it though since I haven't played in a long time.

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a huge fan of the flying frog games:
    Last night on earth, the zombie game.
    Fortune and glory
    Invasion from outter space
    a touch of evil

love 'em, wish I could play 'em more often

14. Candace

Milles Bornes (French card game), Clue, Monopoly, SCRABBLE, APPLES TO APPLES, and Scene It: Simpsons Edition. I never liked Risk since it TOO SO DARN LONG hahaha.

15. RainbowMan

If you like Apples to Apples, try Cards Against Humanity for a more um....adult version of that :slight_smile:

Being licensed Creative Commons is nice too....

16. Candace

Where can I find this game at, good sir? I've never seen it before hahaha. I'd love to try it out :grin:

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The link provides both a buying option, and a download to make your own copy option.

I'm cheap, so take one good guess which I'd choose! Normal people would probably choose to buy, however.

18. LuckyScrubs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Board game I'm currently playing is 7 Wonders (trying to save money for expansion). Not board games but Saboteurs and BANG! are also nice to poke fun at your friends and look at their face from being betrayed :grin: but I've been meaning to try Munchkin. I heard people can go mad at each other for real.

19. vyvance

Risk is my favorite.