1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone have a Samsung Galaxy S4?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by theMaverick, May 18, 2013.

1. theMaverick

Do you like it?

Does anyone have a Samsung Note 2? Do you like it?

These are the two phones I'm considering on top of the coming next iPhone. I'm waiting until the new iPhone comes out to buy something, as I want to see what it is, but I'm considering other things, and those 2 phones are what I think of as the best phones aside from iPhone.

2. starfish

Hey I was about to start this thread. I am in the market for a new phone, as I am eligible for an upgrade in 2 weeks. I have narrowed do to in this order.

1. Galaxy S4
    2. Blackberry z10
    3. Google Nexus 4
    4. Nokia Lumia 920

My Pro/Cons
    1. Galaxy S4.
    Pros:
    I have a Samsung tablet and I really like what Samsung has done with Android.
    Excellent screen.
    Support NFC Payments
    Very fast
    Cons:
    Kinda big.
    I have yet to find an on screen keyboard for Android that I really like. On my current Android devices I have problems typing large messages as the cursor starts jumping around.
    USB Port is on the bottom
    Questionable quality of Android OS. I have had nothing but trouble with 4.0 on my current phone.

2. Blackberry z10
    Pros:
    I really like the Blackberry keyboard.
    I like the size.
    Like the Blackberry messaging integration.
    The usb port is on the side.
    Not an Android
    Cons:
    Uncertain future of the Blackberry ecosystem.
    There is current not an available NFC payment app.

3. Google Nexus 4.
    Pros:
    Cheap
    OS updates from google
    Slightly smaller than the S4
    Supports NFC Payments
    Cons
    All of the S4 cons
    No LTE
    Screen not as good as S4

4. Nokia Lumia 920
    Pros:
    I like metro
    Integration with Office Live 365
    Good quality screen
    I like the size
    Not an Android
    Cons:
    Uncertain ecosystem future

3. All Star

All Star Guest

1) For your 4.0 issues, let me say, they are GONE in 4.1.2. And the S4 runs 4.2.1 I believe, which has more bugs out from what I've heard.

2) It's nice, but I just can't use BB OS. Too many apps I use that are on iOS/Android.

3) The Nexuses are nice, sleek, and are always on the latest Android. Whatever the next Nexus is will probably be my next phone.

4) Same as #2.

4. theMaverick

I like the Nexus phones, but the next one needs to have LTE and expandable memory. I've heard rumors that the Samsung Galaxy S4 will have a "Google edition" that will be pure android and get updates like the Nexus, so if you believe that, it's possible that the S4 Google will be the next Nexus.

Again, I have an iPhone 4S. I'm leaning towards the S4 or the Note 2, as Samsung is the best of the best with Android from everything I've heard and read. Plus, in all honesty, I'm more of a Samsung man than an Apple man. I have a Samsung laptop and television and they have been amazing products.

Question for All Star since he's a genius :slight_smile: - I've heard much about the fragmentation of Android. Also I've heard people lamenting about TouchWiz and the UI's that the manufacturers put on stock Android. Let's say I want the Note 2 or the Galaxy S4, can I root it and just put a stock version of Android on it? Is that possible?

5. All Star

All Star Guest

Dawwwwwww, so sweet. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Yup, CyanogenMod is what I'd recommend.

6. theMaverick

Why thank you kind sir for your helpful information :slight_smile:

Okay. If I get an Android phone I'll certainly check into it. I know that there are some cool features on the S4 and the Note 2, so I'll have to see how it feels before I decide to go and get rid of those and go for stock Android. Thanks :slight_smile:

The more I think about it, and the more I read online, it's looking like it's gonna be fall before the new iPhone comes out, and I don't have hope for it to be anything more than a slightly beefed up iPhone 5. I want mah bigger screen, so I think if I can ever find employment (please soon) that I'll jump ship.

---------- Post added 19th May 2013 at 11:35 AM ----------

Another question for tech genius and future ruler of the tech world All Star

When I looked at the S4 on AT&T's site...

It comes with all these preloaded apps from AT&T : AT&T Address Book, AT&T Navigator®, AT&T Family Map, myAT&T, AT&T Hotspots*, AT&T U-Verse Live TV**, YPmobile®, AT&T Smart Wi-Fi, AT&T Messages, AT&T Drive Mode, AT&T Locker™.

It also comes with cool stuff like S Voice and what not. You can apparently do lots of cool things with the camera. You can have two apps on screen at the same time.

If I root the phone, is there a way for me to save some of the stock Samsung features, or is it all or nothing? I've gotten used to not having any preloaded AT&T bloatware on my iPhone. I like that.

7. All Star

All Star Guest

For most things, there are alternatives on the App store for things that are lost when you install a ROM. Another thing, if you like some of the default apps, but want to get rid of some of them, root the device, leave the stock ROM on there, buy Titanium Backup (7 bucks IIRC) and uninstall anything you don't want.

8. theMaverick

You rock. Seriously, you're awesome XD

Thanks so much for all your input here. You've made my life easier today.

9. starfish

One thing that Samsung does not make very clear. The 16GB S4 only has about 9 GB free on it. So I'd suggest spending the extra $50 and get the 32GB phone.

Question about Jelly Bean. How well does the encryption work on the SD card. That is the cause of most of my problem with Ice Cream Sandwich. The encryption just does not work well on the SD card.

That is my number 1 request for mobile devices. All Data must be encrypted.

10. starfish

The HTC has bumped the Samsung Galaxy S4 from the list. The main reason is that I can get 64GB of storage with out messing with a microSD card.

11. Anomander

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just got the S4 and I really love it. Granted I had a crappy ass Blackberry before so its a huuuuge improvement. I to was debating on the GS4 or Note 2 as well and my research showed that hardware wise the S4 was the same or better on all fronts and $200 bucks. The Note 2 has a .5inch bigger screen and stylus pen with a unique note taking app however the resolution is actually better on the G4 despite the smaller screen. The Note 2 is $100 bucks more as well. For me the .5 inch lower resolution screen and stylus pen were not worth an extra $100 bucks. With that said I have a friend who loves it.