1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which phone?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Perseus, May 19, 2013.

1. Perseus

Which phone do you think is best? :slight_smile:

-Samsung Galaxy S4
    -HTC One
    -iPhone 5
    -Nexus 4

And why? :slight_smile:

2. Ridiculous

Nexus 4 (although I am biased because I have one)

-far cheaper than the competitors
    -very powerful; anything more capable would just be going to waste because it can already handle everything I've thrown at it perfectly
    -gorgeous design and feel and shape and appearance and everything
    -official Google phone so it will always have the most recent version of Android
    -screen display is excellent
    -battery is pretty good (more than good enough for me anyway)

The only thing I dislike (literally the only thing) is that the USB plug is on the bottom.

My opinion of the others:

Galaxy S4 is a bit too big, the screen colours/contrast aren't as nice as the Nexus, and previous experience with Samsung has shown me the changes they make to Android make it worse, not better.

I don't like the design of the HTC One at all. I don't know much about it beyond this but I expect it has the similar changes to the OS as the Galaxy does.

iPhone is Apple so it is automatically inferior :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (for what I want anyway).

My ranking is
    Nexus > Galaxy > HTC One > iPhone

3. All Star

All Star Guest

I'd go with the Nexus. I have the S3, and my next phone will be the next Nexus that comes out. Nice design, sleek, powerful, always on the latest Android version. Next would be the Galaxy S4, big screen, TouchWiz is loads better than before. Then, the iPhone, sleek and simple with a good camera, good enough for most people. Then, the HTC One. I dislike Sense UI.

4. Perseus

Wow, you guys know a lot about this kind of stuff! :grin:

5. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I have to disagree with everyone and say that the HTC One is the best out if the four. It has better build quality with its aluminum construction and has better specs then the rest.

6. MixedNutz

7. theMaverick

I'm itching to get away from my iPhone because, quite frankly, it's gone a bit stale and it needs some major refreshments, and I want a bigger screen. However, the fragmentation of Android has me nervous, to be honest. iPhone is always a solid bet if you are looking for something that just works but I'm honestly afraid that the best days for the iPhone are actually behind us.

8. All Star

All Star Guest

I'll give it to ya on build quality, but specs are pretty similar.

Galaxy S4-1.6GHz Quad Core, 2GB RAM. HTC One-1.7GHz, 2GB RAM. Let's be honest, are the average users really gonna need all of that? A dual core with 1GB of RAM is sufficient for most.

9. theMaverick

I've held Samsung phones before, and while no, they are made of glass like my 4S is, they still feel like really solid, premium devices. The new HTC One is sexy as hell but I'd rather the the Galaxy S4.

10. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

The average user will use that, yes. For one, games are becoming more power hungry by the day. Secondly, the reason why phones are so overpowered is to save battery life. Today's quad core SoC uses the same or less amount of power of yesterday's single core SoC. if you only have to use 10 percent of a quad core CPUs capability vs 90 percent of a single or dual core CPU to so simple tasks then battery life will be extended.

And the amount of ram and the CPU clock speed are not the only specs to go by. How about display quality (AMOLED still sucks) and the camera? A lot to consider.

11. Deveal2015

I would say the HTC One is the best phone on the market. 94 % of reviewer's says it the best smartphone ever made period. The design is fantastic, the screen is epic , the sound is better than any smartphone ever, it has phenomenal battery life, nfc for Google wallet or easy file/picture share, it supports the new WiFi standard, fantastic camera with unmatched low light performance , HTC android skin is sleek with a minimalist design(quite elegant), it also has a built-in photo editor for daily highlights or event hightlights, and the phone is a lag free speed demon ! Best phone I've ever owned and I'm coming from a Note 2

12. starfish

Humm... I may have to add the HTC One to my list of possible phones. I see they have a 32GB and 64GB version.

13. manoverboard09

I used to be team iPhone.
    Switched to my Galaxy Note 2 a few months ago.
    Oh my god.
    I'm so glad I did. It's so.. big. And it does just about everything.
    I don't even miss my iPhone anymore.

14. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

My tech genius son wants a Galaxy 4s...I told him iphone 4s. Take offer or leave it as previously said no phone until 9th grade. Ok I want to FaceTime him on iphone when I move :frowning2:.
    Is Skype free on cell phones? Or just computers? Kind of confusing when I looked it up.
    Its an extra $100 for the Samsung....

15. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Yep, Skype is free and works on every platform.

16. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

17. kem

kem

>Nexus 4 is the cheapest

yeah if you live in the US. Here in Finland it costs about 650€ at least. About as much as the other high-end models. And because the average folks don't care about a Nexus (they just want the new samsung or the new iphone or the new lumia) there are no monthly subscription services which offer the Nexus at a discount, much unlike other flagships.

I like HTC One's design a lot, as does the Nexus. Samsung on the other hand looks terrible. iPhone has had the essentially the same design for so long it's become a classic. But it's also a bit boring, not the mention the horror of iTunes and App Store on the software side.

I don't own any flagship models, I have a budget ZTE Blade III, which can barely run Chrome with two tabs open.

I'm sure technical specs like CPU and RAM are important, but I wonder if comparing a quad-core 1.7 Ghz processor to a 1.6 Ghz processor makes sense. Is there any noticeable difference in computing power?

#17 kem, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
  18. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Do carriers in other countries not subsidize phones? Here in the US most people buy a new phone at the end of thier contract. I paid 10 bucks for my HTC One X last year when I renewed my contract.

19. kem

kem

Well if you're talking about phones like Verizon's lumia 928, then no, I don't think that we have phones like that. In Finland many operators offer phones together with data plans. The total cost of the phone is usually remarkably lower than if you bought just the phone, but like I said the variety of phones is not that great; Lots of Galaxies, some HTC models, Most Lumia's and all the iPhone varieties.

20. NeonMan

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If you want an iPhone 5, wait for the 5s to be released. Anyways, my thought on the galaxy s4 is that it is too big which limits its portability for me. But yeah, haven't heard of Nexus and HTC one, sorry. :/