1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Record players

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Phoenix92, May 25, 2013.

1. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although these are an older form of entertainment, they are making a comeback. I have some records myself, but no player to use them...

Does anyone out there know where I could get one inexpensive/have one they don't want?

2. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would suggest a garage or yard sale for a cheap one. Or google up used turntables for sale. There are tons of them out there, really all depends on how much you want to spend and what quality you want. I have had the same pair of decks for over a decade and they still work perfect. You get what you pay for.

On a side note it's good to hear vinyl is making a comeback. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy reminiscing.

3. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Also try thrift/charity stores, pawn shops, kijiji etc...

4. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Records are really cool! Like other people have said, you should definitely check thrift stores, estate sales, etc. I recommend the Audio Technica AT-60 turntable. It costs around $80, and it sounds amazing! But if you purchase it, make sure to buy speakers too, because it doesen't come with any.

5. timo

Definitely try a thrift shop, or ebay or something. I bought mine online for €10, with a (new!) spare needle. It wasn't far from my place either, so I went and picked it up myself.

And yeah, you're right, vinyl is amazing.

6. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    your best bet would be used online, I'm a cheapo and I've got my dads that's nearly forty years old, the only thing i do say with used record players, is they sometimes need repair, just a drive cable for my turntable was £20, needle costs about the same. also my friends have been sold broken record players so be careful. on a side note new record sales were up over 200% last year.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The main issue with older turntables is finding styli/needles for them can be a chore and a half. Newer ones certainly don't look as cool, but finding a cartridge for them isn't an issue at all. So just do an online search to see if replacement needles are easy to get. If you'll be listening to mainly older and used records, this is less of an issue, and you can go longer between needle changes.

I actually have a few turntables. I personally got mine at a local record shop, and the cheapest one was a refurbished Stanton DJ turntable that set me back about $50. The sound is great and the action is good.

Lex

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just seen loads of them on E-Bay :slight_smile: