1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SimCity

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by stuffiscool, May 31, 2013.

1. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Anyone ever played SimCity?

I had SimCity4 and I loved it! A major difficulty was pollution from industry...I built the industry far away from the residential and commercial zones, even if it meant long commutes... I loved the car missions, and the hack to turn the staff into llamas. :grin:

The old game won't work on my laptop though. :tears: It was fun while it lasted... One thing I get to keep from it is the soundtrack, which is AMAZING! Listen to this awesome hit:

[youtube]YmgiXGLnGGU[/youtube]

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I love SimCity. SimCity Classic, SimCity 2000, SimCity 3000 Unlimited, SimCity 4 (+ Rush Hour expansion)

I still play SimCity 4 even though it's over 10 years old now. You gotta get it to work on your laptop, it's still so much fun!

I love building massive metropolitan areas across a whole region and coming up with stories for how certain areas developed, like an urban downtown in the city, or a suburban bedroom community to the east. Transportation was my favorite part of the game, though long commutes were always a problem.

3. Candace

I FREAKINGGGGG LOVEEEEEE SIM CITYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Sim City 4 with Rush Hour is THE COOLEST EVER! I'd play hours and hours on this game.

I got up to like 885k for one city, but 6.5 mil people for the metro :grin:

4. RGuy

I love Sim City 4! I downloaded it (legally) about a year ago and got a bit addicted, I even create maps for my subway and rail systems!

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Simcity is an amazing series! I played the original extensively, 2000 for a little while, and 4, briefly.

The problem with 4 was the money issue. The populace wanted tons of services, but wanted no taxes. Not to mention that all public services were TOTALLY FREE (aka no extra income from public water or bus lines, etc. where they would have paid extra) and it meant that I had like a 12% income tax and was barely breaking even in hundreds of years.

Maybe I was doing it wrong, but the economy in that game was tough as balls.

6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well the key is that you have to develop slowly, build up a tax base first before you start providing lots of services. You also had to micromanage your schools, hospitals, utilities, etc. to ensure you were not spending one simoleon more than you had to be spending.

There is actually income from public transit fares though, however it will never come close to covering the costs of running the transportation system. You can also get small amounts of income from toll booths and legalizing gambling, and from business deals like building a military base.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow! Who said computer games aren't true to life?!?

At least, that sounds like my state. I swear: at election time, you get have 2 ballot initiatives, one that dramatically increases some service, and the other which somehow dramatically cuts taxes. And both will win.

8. KnownSecret

I love SimCity <3 I have SimCity 2000 DOS Version on this comp right now just as SimCity 4: Deluxe edition :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I get so drawn into these games haha!

9. Harve

Let us reminisce:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Few games are so ambitious.

10. AAASAS

The amount of time I have wasted on this fucking game.

I could never get people to take the highway after I installed the Real World Highway mod though.

This is a game that I wish I never played because I wasted a lot of time as a kid on it.

11. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Oh my gosh those pics make me want to go fire SimCity up right now! :grin:

12. KnownSecret

Me as well when I first saw them :lol:

13. girlunwound

I have Lincity, OpenCity and Micropolis on Linux. They all have their good and not-so-good features. I never tried getting SimCity to work on Linux but I played an old version a long time ago. it can be a lot of fun.

A weird but fun thing my ex and I used to do was fly a plane to different places we wanted to learn about in Flight Simulator and then do all kinds of research on that place on the internet. Then we'd fly to some other destination and do the same thing.

14. SilverGirl

well i played it so long ago but i loved it! i played mostly Sim City 3000, i did play Sim City 4 a little, but those pics look awesome! are they from SC4 or the new Sim City 5? (which looks bugged as hell)

15. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Those pics look like SC4.

16. Emberstone

everyone is avoiding the elephant in the room: Simcity (2013).

17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I think SimCity Societies convinced a lot of people to be weary of any new "SimCity"-named games that EA pushes out.

I still consider SimCity 4 the last true SimCity game.

The same actually goes for The Sims; I still play The Sims 2 with all the expansion packs. The Sims 3 I uninstalled after a few months and have never had a desire to re-install it since. Spore was another EA/Will Wright disappointment.

It doesn't seem like EA has the same team with the same creativity and brainpower that Maxis used to have when they created SimCity Classic, SimCity 2000, SimCity 3000, and SimCity 4, along with The Sims 1 and The Sims 2.

(Plus all those quirky Sim titles Maxis used to release, like SimAnt, SimFarm, SimEarth, SimTower, SimCopter, SimSafari, SimPark, SimTown, etc. I miss those dearly.)

And from what I've heard of reviews, we were right to be skeptical of the new 2013 "SimCity".

18. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

@Rakkus it doesn't work on newer systems because of chip or graphic card issues....I forgot what exactly...

@Harve What beautiful images! @____@

@girlunwound Ha, my father plays Flight Simulator a lot. Just showed me Seattle. I haven't heard of those other games.

Lol, I also chose Sims 2 over Sims 3. And now there'll be a Sims 4?? I wasn't aware there was another SimCity...

The hardest part of the game for me was keeping traffic un-congested. I had all sorts of trouble with one-way and double-width streets, as well as new congested streets constantly popping up. I felt sorry for the citizens' houses I destroyed to make room for roads. :grin:

19. Aquilo

I love(d) SimTower, SimCity 2000/3/4 and the Sims 1/2. SimCity 4 is awesome, but you definitely need mods, because it's filled with some bad bugs/bad features that EA hasn't fixed in 10 years; high tech industry not giving $$$-jobs, commuters taking the shortest route instead of the fastest, a few buggy buildings, silly coverage area's for schools/police/others. Somehow SimCity-kids are reluctant to go further than 700 meter by BUS. Luckily a lot can be modded in this game : )

20. ANightDude

I don't think the new SimCity is that bad. It's pretty enjoyable, actually. The graphics are good and the design and freedom is nice.

But then you also have the ridiculously tiny map sizes, and the online-only play (the only reason they don't have bigger map sizes is because of this - the online server won't run with sizes that big or some bullshit. Of course we can always try to make it offline, but the morons running EA won't let it happen).

It's nice, but it's not SC4. That game was something special. People devoted so much time and effort to it and created worlds. You can't do that on this new one. Like I said, not bad, but just what it is.