1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the desktop PC dying?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Stridenttube, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Will the Desktop stick around or will it go the way of the dodo bird? Lets hear your arguments.

2. jokesonyou

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think desktop will stick around. Especially with steam and origin being such big players, there with always be more amazing games for the computer. At least league and wow will keep it going for pretty much forever

3. leice

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Personally I think the PC will be around for a while. You can always upgrade the specs of the PC to suit your gaming needs. I personally prefer to have a gaming console to play games since I do heavy work with the PC.

4. mpac21

I think the desktop will be around for quite awhile yet. Like previously noted, gaming is a very huge aspect as you can't get quite nearly the performance you see on a laptop usually, though there are exceptions. Also, desktops are much easier to replace video cards, hard drives etc etc...When I'm gaming I need a desktop, I just can't do FPS's on a laptop, tried and failed...even with a mouse it just felt odd lol

5. Spurned

Spurned Guest

I think it'll stay around for quite a while yet, we still have one and my father still uses one, though I use my netbook and his laptop more often because they're easier to carry around. I much prefer gaming (Well, Minecraft and such) on the desktop PC though because it's easier and obviously the performance is better.

6. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it will stay for a long time. I still use my pc cos it is faster than a laptop or phone. And if you want a powerful pc you need a desktop. In fact most gamers use pc

7. Night Rain

Are you kidding? Laptops will never be able to completely replace desktops. There is more than just gaming you know. Try rendering videos with a laptop. And there are works that require big and/or dual screens. A laptop will never be able to compete with a desktop.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tablet gaming is for casual gamers. People who are serious about performance are going to keep powerful hardware, and even if that miniaturizes to the point where we can hold a supercomputer in our pockets, people will want a comfortable, functional, and above all *precise* interface. Touchscreens, Kinect, etc, while novel and minimalistic, are the opposite of that.

9. Night Rain

If we get to that point, that would only mean more room for things in computer cases and people would just stuff their cases full for maximum performance. :wink:

10. Beware Of You

The desktop will stick for gaming and the like, I am building one for my own flight simming (I am a pilot so).

One of the reason's why Windows 8 is such a flop is because Microsoft didn't appreciate that people don't want touch UIs everywhere, not everyone wants a tablet. The OS is stupid on a desktop and laptops which as Microsoft's main user base.

Who has one of those wierd Convertible laptops that cost like €1350 nobody because the specs are pathetic for the cost, you can get a mac for that, and I have never seen anyone with one of those Surface tablets, and whats with office going for this odd subscription nonsense, nobody is going to do word processing on a tablet, they are just going crazy at the moment

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, it's not. This thought is not exactly original.

12. Reptillian

Desktop PCs in average will always have more power than mobile component and there's bigger bang for bucks in terms of performance and power, so it's not going to die. Also, you can replace parts as well. Desktop PCs will be used for intense resources application. Mobile components are getting more popular than desktop PCs because it's great for basic internet usage and communication on the go which is what most people like. Let's face the fact that most people prefers to go on the internet to communicate within twitter,facebook, tumblr and so on with gaming.
    Found this

[​IMG]

#12 Reptillian, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  13. Hun

Hun

I think desktop PCs are going to stick around for awhile. Mostly because of one advantage they have over laptops, tablets, and gaming consoles: easy upgradablity.

14. starfish

They will continue to stick around for high end tasks. A lot of engineering and scientific stuff needs some very powerful machines. Even there in the past few years I have seen high end workstations replaced with bog standard desktops as they become more powerful.

As powerful as laptops, mobile devices, and console are getting, you stop seeing games driving the need for high end systems. Eventually only the very hard core gamers will need the power of a high end machine.

You will see some low end desktops for applications that don't need mobility. Such as point of sale systems. THough more and more that are being taken over by thin clients that remotely connect to a Citrix or VDI solution.

I'm in IT and software development and I haven't had a desktop for a primary machine since 2007. I have a couple of desktops, but I just turned them on their side and called them a server.

TL;DR. THe midrange machines will disappear, as they are replaced by mobile devices. Low end will stay because they are cheap, and high end will stay as they are need the power.

15. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Desktops will stick around. They are needed by people who need to get shit done.

16. JonnyR

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i think desk tops will be like trucks of the tech world. in the early 1920s most people (who didnt already live in cites) had trucks because they needed it for there farms (or some out door job that needed one), but when more people moved to cites and lager towns they got cars instead of trucks and only the people who need trucks had them. And the same thing is starting to happen to desktops, only people who need them will have them but most and do people will have tablets, smart phones or laptops.

17. photoguy93

I'm not sure about "forever" but I definitely think they will be around for a long time. In terms of the near future, I see them making a "comeback" because of what you get for the money.

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if I'd consider myself "very hard core" but running games such as Arma and Mount&Blade, complete with performance-stressing mods, can still turn my framerate to single digits despite considerable computer specs.

Who knows? Maybe for subjecting myself to the masochism inherent in these games and finding it fun *is* the top 1% of gaming devotion. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    the future is APPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you'll have , ya tablet, smart tv maybe even a desktop, although desktops probably won't survive when smart tv's catch up in computer power, and all these electronic devices well able to communicate with each other. it will be like your on the bus playing angry birds 207 on your tablet, because they will just incorporate mobile network into them make phones pointless, and you get home, and where you are the game you'll throw it via wireless to the tv. and you'll be using your tablet as the controller similar to how the wii u works. i see people have a server at home though so they can operate a large number of cloud functions at home and from far away,
    but due to smart tv's when their hardware catches up to top end of desktops, it will make desktops redundant, same as games consoles are redundant now, because if you've seen the xbox one, they finally caught up to the bottom end of pc's, and due to technology these days you can plug a joystick into any computer with a usb port these days so console are redundant there just crap computer with a ridiculously restrictive user agreement.

give it a few years an apps and you'll start to need high end hardware to use them, and then there next great scheme will begin hear the best tablet to play apps on from out company 4 months later best tablet mark 2 even better and so on and so forth the future is mainly conning the public to buy inadequate hardware and slowly dole out updates till its alright then release the next series of models and compatibility, it going the way that i turn on my tv before your inside your house, turn on the dishwasher, dryer, connect to my smart telly, your surround sound system, the light bulb, handle all credit and debit functions as well as turning on your radiators i think you get the picture

20. Candace

I don't think so since there are some programmes *cough* Sim City *cough* that are not able to run well on my laptop. Some systems, like a desktop, are able to run larger programmes and have more space available.