1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone here still use a Netbook?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Beware Of You, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So I have a Samsung netbook that I have had for 18 months now (its my 2nd netbook) and well I find it so useful and neat to have it goes everywhere with me, its cool for twitter and doing the odd word thing, and listening to music.

They are seeming to die out, I had it out one day and I got asked what was I doing with the thing by some friend. I mean they are still sold in Argos and the like, but you don't see them around much.

People say tablets have replaced them, but I have an ipad but its useless for writing documents or long emails on since there is no tactile feedback like you get from a proper keyboard

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've read more than one piece that says the iPad and Android tablets will eventually kill netbooks. I've also seen at one writer who suggests laptops, period, are doomed. Then, again, who knows? I've been using computers for more years than you've been alive, Beware Of You, and I've seen so many predictions that never came to pass.

I've also heard suggestions that netbooks are not very attractive given that one can buy a big laptop for not much more. The theory being the extra dollars buys a faster processor, and a bigger screen.

Another point worth considering: part of the netbook seems to be living on as "ultraportable" laptop. These aren't quite the same--a bit bigger, and certainly more expensive. But they do retain more potential portability than a regular laptop.

I personally have never owned a netbook. For that matter, apart from ancient laptops that I've bought to play with, I've never had a laptop of any kind. But I will say the netbook is something I'd look at seriously if I needed a portable computing device. Small and light would be of more value to me than having a big screen or a fast processor. A real keybaord is nice, although I find the ones on netbooks limited. But it beats on screen keyboards, and, in my casual playing around with laptops in general, I really have never found a keyboard I actually like. I suspect no matter what I bought--if I ever bought anything--I'd end up taking an external keyboard along if I were going to do any serious typing.

3. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm more for notebooks as apposed to netbooks, as I need to run some hefty programs and major juice, but still need it to be mobile.

I've definitely heard about tablets taking over, however none so far have been able to power match with netbooks. The only one that can honestly compete with netbooks is the Surface. I'm seriously impressed with it.

4. Beware Of You

Is it any good? I do have a Windows Phone (my international simcard) that I like, but the Surface I don't think I would use it. I think metro works on a phone but I tried windows 8 and hated it.

I do actually own 3 proper notebooks, a Dell (battery is shot awesome ATI GPU that is used as a desktop for gaming and not much else) , a Toshiba (Main) and a Macbook Pro (Mostly on one of those work buy things from the project budget)

But I like the netbook on flights or the train, or in bed to watch a movie off netflicks or something, it works well for that, I dunno I just like having Windows 7 Pro (Upgraded using college VLK) on something that goes everywhere with me. All the software I use like Office, Scope and HF Workbench works on it grand, it has a decent hard drive (500GB loads compared to tablets) and 99% of windows software works on it np. I actually use it as much as my other PCs, it has rapid start, on the college network and everything.

I just think that tablets are ok for casual surfing but typing on glass is hit and miss, its nice just having a physical keyboard. Plus tablets are far more locked down than a PC ,and think about all the accessories to plug a tablet into a projector, or use a USB drive

#4 Beware Of You, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The limits on tablets may change as time goes by. Keep in mind: the iPad concept is pretty new. When the Macintosh launched, it was seen as hopelessly limited. But the technology grew--both hardware and software--and eventually the concept pretty much killed off everything else. Although not completely. DOS may be next to dead, but the command line concept lives in various forms, although most normal users seldom if ever use it.

Another thought: there is a tendency of having a one size fits all vision sometimes. Thus you have the everyone will use Windows! mentality. Or the iPad will kill all laptops! thought. But...real people in the real world (as dreary a place as that is) have different needs, and different ways of meeting their needs. A screwdriver is a wonderful tool, until you need to drive a nail... For me, a netbook is very attractive for 3 reasons:
    • Cheap
    • Includes keyboard
    • Quite portable

On the other hand, if I were looking for a laptop that would mainly stay home, be a primary computer, but be portable a few times a year, then I'd aim for something considerably more powerful

6. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Surface is bridging the gap between netbooks and tablets. I too prefer to have physical, clicky-clacky buttons for typing. Attachable keyboard. BOOM. [​IMG]

Although their selection is small as of current, the library of software compatible with Windows 8 RT is quickly growing. The surface is pretty much the only reliable business tablet; a device which offers work and play.

Think of it like a hybrid. It can do both, but isn't terribly outstanding in either. No, you can't do heavy workloads on it (that's not it's purpose) but you can get a hell of a lot more done on it, than you could with an Ipad, what with built in Office13.

7. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Writing this on a netbook, I still like having a "real" keyboard when typing more than a sentence or two. I also have a tablet and a smartphone - haven't used my older laptop very much recently but still have it for graphics-intensive programs. Point is these are all different types of tools and each has its strong and weak points. It all depends what kind of tasks you use computers for, and in which environment you use them.

8. FruitFly

I love my little pink netbook, over 3 years old and still helping me on the commute to Birmingham <3. Netbooks make me happy in situations where the laptop is just too big; tablets just do nothing for me visually so I haven't even considered them as an option.

9. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've got a netbook and still use it. Also have a Laptop (the netbook is nice for portabality.. the laptop for its larger screen)

For general use I have a desktop...

10. Beware Of You

I have seen the price of the things with the keyboard, you are looking at €6-700 in Ireland for one, for that you could just get a Windows 8 laptop!!

11. kem

kem

Laptop computers are getting lighter and lighter still and many are equipped with a touch screen since it really improves the user experience of Windows 8. There are already many models which cost about as much as a Surface or an iPad so I'd like to imagine that over time those who really need portability and office use will move from tablets towards touchscreen notebooks.

12. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. My Netbook (12" MSI with AMD MV-40) lives most of it's life plugged into my TV so I can watch movies and TV online, however on long trips I will take it with me. Typically I only use it once I arrive at the hotel / host's house. A big use for me is copying pictures off the camera, onto the hard drive, to then start syncing with my desktop at home, or pick through them to send out some emails. Also good as you mention for typing long emails. Not adequate for heavy duty games and stuff, but otherwise good.

However I find my iPod Touch, Android phone, or Android tablet much better while on the go to do an email check, quickly check something online, watch movies on the plane, but not a complete replacement.

A problem with the Netbook industry proper, is that Intel and Microsoft conspired to keep the specs low, and keep the platform from developing (Cheap Windows Starter licences required crappy Atom-like processor, 1GB RAM, 250GB hard drive). However there is a demand for low cost, ultra portable machines. Intel and tech blogs like to make you think Netbooks were replaced with Ultrabooks. This is false. Although Ultrabooks are slick, decently powered little machines, they are expensive! Retailing for $800+ when the original netbook (EeePC 701) retailed for $400, and netbooks were down to $200-$300 during their prime.

There are low cost, fairly portable (12"), decently powerful machines that aren't netbooks
    Acer TimelineX 11.6" Laptop - Black (Intel Core i3-380UM / 320GB HDD / 4GB RAM / Windows 7) -English : 13" & Smaller Laptops - Future Shop

Here's a 11.6" machine with Core i3, 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM for $400.

An ideal world might include a $400 machine with these specs that's convertible-like (either detachable keyboard, or flip over screen) with touch-screen.

Which is why Microsoft is pushing Win8 as being desktop friendly, and touch friendly. They would say the Surface Pro fills this need, but at $900 it misses the price point, by a lot.

13. starfish

I think of getting one of the ARM based Chromebooks from time to time. Not many netbooks left fo the market. The tablet really killed off that market and for good reason. As Kenko said Intel and MS decided that Netbooks should be completely gutless machines. Then along came the tablets and they did not improve their specs.

14. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love having a netbook because I can do all my regular PC activities -- writing, spreadsheets, etc. -- I need a real keyboard for that, and I can use my PC's versions of software, what I'm used to using at home. It pretty much duplicates my desktop, at least the important functions. I bought an external optical drive for loading programs I have only on CD (this was a while ago). I wanted something cheap, plus small and light enough to carry without hurting my shoulder or otherwise being a nuisance.