1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget Gaming Laptop Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Faeyth, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Faeyth

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey there everyone! My dad offered to get me a new laptop, and I'm definitely aiming for one that can support my gaming addiction.

Here's what I'm looking for:
    1. Budget's around $1000 or a little more.
    2. Can run games like the Assassin's Creed series, Tomb Raider (2013), Skyrim, Bioshock series, Dishonored at moderate settings.
    3. Doesn't have to be able to run Crysis or Witcher 2 if it helps with the price.
    4. Good speakers are not needed, I use headphones all the time.
    5. Not too bulky, as I would have to carry it to college next year.
    6. Moderate battery life (without gaming, will definitely be plugged in when I'm gaming)

As I'm not all that knowledgeable about these things, can someone help me? Right now, I'm looking at ASUS N56VJ-DH71 or ASUS G75VW. Brand doesn't really matter but I kind of like Asus.

Thank you!

2. Sarcastic Luck

Go with one of the ASUS. That's what I got back in 2009 and it's still running fine. Plays the newest games without a hitch.

I recommend the G75VW, however. You can toss 32 gigs of ram in that sucker. N56VJ only allows for 16 gigs. Plus the G75 has a better video card. Processor is basically the same on them. However, the G75 is heavier at 10 pounds while the N56VJ weighs in at 5.

Me? I'd go for the G75. It weighs the same as my ASUS and I hauled that sucker around college with a bunch of books, too.

3. AAASAS

You can't really get a gaming laptop on a budget. You can get a laptop on a budget and install graphics cards and alternative processors though.

That is at least in Canada, any computer that is going to be heavily geared towards gaming is going to be expensive.

4. Sarcastic Luck

Mine was $1100, but I'm also in the US.

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Get the G75. I've got a G74S which is the precursor to that, which has run pretty nicely, except for the disk drive that seems to hate DVDs. Otherwise, it's a great, powerful laptop that's great for gaming. In fact, that's what it's built for.

Also, it seems to be great for VFX and game design work, if you're into that. The game and VFX students at my school mostly have that, and they've got programs like Maya. I'm running Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Audition, Flash and Star Wars Old Republic on it. I've also played Skyrim, Portal 2 and TF2.

#5 Jinkies, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013