1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft announces DRM, Privacy and Connectivity policies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by person54, Jun 7, 2013.

1. person54

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing and Privacy Features

The link is a website from Microsoft that talks about DRM, privacy and connectivity policies. I'm happy that the kinect won't be recording everything but I'm pretty taken aback by the mandatory 24 hour authentication that requires the internet. I was betting that was just a rumor and they'd have like a three day grace period of offline and some plan for those that lived in places with poor internet access.

And so much of this is so that they/publishers will be able to make more money when we don't know if it will be consumer friendly like steam is. I want to like the xbox one but when consumers aren't getting very much of anything out of all these new policies it's kind of hard to get excited about the next xbox. They'd better be doing a good job showing people why it will be worth it at E3.

Thoughts?

2. person54

In light of what's happening with verizon though I still think having cameras in my living room is creepy.

3. theMaverick

While that makes me feel better about the privacy concerns I had about Xbox One -

This is still true. I'm beyond disturbed at the possibility for this technology to be taken advantage of.

4. girlunwound

This is one reason why I love OpenSource. Screw Microsoft and Apple.

5. person54

Correction to my original post. According to the link below apparently if you do not have a high speed internet connection you can connect through mobile broadband somehow.

"In areas where an Ethernet connection is not available, you can connect using mobile broadband."

I would hope that doesn't mean people don't have to mess around with their phones to do the authentication every day they want to play their console.

This thing is getting so darn complicated.

Xbox Wire

6. Sarcastic Luck

So basically, people with shitty internet get the shaft. Again.

This is why I've been staying with Sony and why my next gen console is once again, going to be the playstation. At least then if my internet goes out, I don't have to use up my data plan to be able to play a damn game.

7. Hysteria

To be honest, E3 is really Microsoft's last chance to stop me from converting to the PlayStation. Pretty much everything they've released about the Xbox One has had negative reception and the only reason I'm holding out is because of my dedication to the Halo series.

8. Beware Of You

Microsoft are loosing the plot. Ballmer needs to go, they think we want to use laptops as tablets. The new XBOX is a joke, why are they trying to kill off the traditional console market? Do those daft online codes not get enough money?

But the authentication is a joke, I am sorry but hardware should not have to "call home" each day, how does this even get past the privacy lot?

Sorry Microsoft but it looks like you are loosing a loyal xbox customer

9. theMaverick

Yeah I'm jumping ship to Playstation unless that sucks even worse and if it does, guess whos getting away from console gaming?

10. ScatteredEarth

I have am extreme biased opinion because I've always been a playstation fan and never liked the fact that you have to pay on top of what you already payed for while paying for internet at the same time. As for the always online thing.. I know that if Sony tries that crap as well then I'm headed to the PC for good

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have sided with Microsoft and Xbox for about 12 years now. I had Sony consoles too, but Xbox had my heart. Now with this Xbox One dog and pony show, they can forget about it.

12. jokesonyou

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Microsoft will be doing serious clean up at e3 to try to save this mess. I don't think they'll be able to recover at all

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not without totally reversing a number of decisions, which companies do only in the DIREST desperation, if at all. Usually they just grin and bear the horrible backlash of a bad decision rather than switch sides and appear weak. But if you do something that plainly despicable, don't you think the shareholders or whoever would forgive you for not sticking to your guns and for actually giving the people what they want?

14. person54

Unless there's system features they are holding back on showing so far I think they are hopping that core gamers will see the games they have and not care about all the other stuff. An answer I probably won't get at E3 but still want to know is how performance of the two consoles compares with and without xbox one having the cloud.

I'm also in the boat of loving halo and wanting the xbox one to turn out all right because of that franchise but I'm getting really turned off by a lot of things about the console already.

15. Igne

This is why I always regretted getting an xbox360...... they just keep throwing out worse and worse policies and not fixing their bs. They are so focused on beating pirates that they would rather screw people over instead of bringing prices down or getting rid of their stupid xbox live system.

Unfortunately they will not reverse their decision, since microsofts track record of reversing bad decisions is: never happens. If you want the xbox one, the best you can hope for is microsoft announcing putting out a new isp everywhere.

#15 Igne, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  16. Night Rain

Good news!
    Your Feedback Matters
    They actually reversed their decision:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today

Not that I would buy an Xbox but at least the PS4 will have something to compete with. Competition is important. :grin:

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw that. I appreciate their effort and won't badmouth them for reversing their decisions, but I doubt it'll be enough. I still think Kinect is horrible and should be a peripheral, as it is now. That would lower the price considerably, too.

18. Night Rain

Yeah. Forced Kinect is a terrible idea. Even if Microsoft claims it doesn't record anything, the fact that it's always on means that someone could hack into the system take control without us knowing.

19. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Damage is done in my opinion. They already gave the middle finger to their customers and showed that they care more about money than user experience. They're only backtracking now because they'd lose more money if they didn't.

20. Tim

Tim

Pretty much what That One Guy said.

The damage is done. They told their customers to deal with it, and only realized when the pre-orders were no where near PS4, did they realize how stupid they were.