1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphone users

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dustin Broke, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Are there people like me that use headphones for your computer and music? I have 3 headphones now the Sony MDR-V150, MDR-V600, MDR-NC6. The last one is a Noise Canceling headphones and I use that when I goto Japan. I will be going again this year around Sep, 2 or so and will need these since it's a long trip like around 12 hours from USA to Japan. But adding from Omaha to a international airport is usually around hour and half to there. So it's a long trip. I usually goto Japan once in 2 years to see my grandparents.

Anyways just wondering if there are people here use just headphones for pretty much everything.

2. 2112

I use headphones for almost everything.

3. biggayguy

I use my Logitech wireless headphones for games, speech recognition and music. They are a step above the cheapo headphones.

4. Hexagon

Yeah, I use headphones sometimes. Good for my phone as well. I dunno what brand they are, but they're nice. They're mushroom buds, and they have a pretty good noise cancellation as well.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have and sometimes use a pair of Grado SR60 headphones. I sometimes use them quite a bit with a portable CD player while doing computer work. Also they'd be my choice with a portable CD player if I ever take a vacation for the first time since forever.

If I ever end up in a situation where noise levels are an issue (apartment with poor sound proofing, say), I might move to using headphones most of the time.

I also have been tempted by some other practical aspects of headphones: good headphones can be a cheaper solution than speakers, and they eliminate any issue of room placement, etc that can plague speakers.

6. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Ya with speakers you have to worry about others if it's bothering them or so since like if you live in a apt you could annoy people with your music. But I heard that usually you can have your music loud but just no shaking the walls kind of loudness. Also you have to have a lot of money to get nice speakers since if you just spend like $100 you won't really get nice ones. But for headphones spending around $100 or so you can get real nice ones and that sound like a lot more expensive speakers. I just don't have a lot of money so I can't afford high end speakers like JBL or so. I use to own a pair of JBL S26 but I had to sell them for money. I once even owned a pair of JBL S38 but sold them years agao. They were the best speakers I had in my life but don't have them anymore. I will have to save a ton to get them used and buy a receiver and stuff.

But if I get headphones then I can buy them a lot cheaper and get great sound.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the speaker disturbing the neighbor thing probably varies on a number of factors. Bass frequencies are supposed to be the worst possible problem, so something that has deep, powerful bass would be more likely to be an issue than a speaker that has little bass. I also suppose room placement could be an issue. The speakers I'm currently using are designed for near-wall placement, and so if placed along a shared wall, could possibly be a problem vs a speaker that goes out in the middle of the room.

8. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

So if I had a 10inch powered subwoofer those would be too loud right? I saw a Sony SA-W2500 sub for $98 at Walmart and it was a 10inch and has 100 watts of RMS power. I always though maybe in the future to get that and a small bookshelf speakers so I full get a full range response but I didn't know if I got that it would be too loud even if I don't have the bass up too much.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The only way to know fore certain what would be too loud would be try it, I guess.

I would honestly wonder how good a hundred dollar subwoofer might be.

I have heard that integrating a subwoofer with speakers can have its challenges, contrary to what some marketing hype would say. It's probably less of a problem with special effects than music. But some do swear by the approach you've outlined: small speakers with a subwoofer.

10. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

I wanted to get the Sony SS-B1000 bookshelf speakers with a stereo receiver and a Sony SA-W2500 subwoofer but I will need to save up to do this but then it will be a nice affordable stereo system. Also the sub has a crossover control from 50hz to 200hz so I can adjust it to match the speakers. I think I get get a nice used receiver from the Pawn shop close to me for around $40-50 or so and the speakers and sub I will have to get it on Ebay or NFM and at Walmart for the sub. Walmart also sells the Sony bookshelf speakers but they sell them for higher price than NFM does.

But if I have headphones of course then I would save a ton. That's why I' am using my headphones now to listen to my music. But maybe in the way future I can get a system. Or I might just sell the V600 and the V150 headphones and just keep the NC6 that I need and use that money towards the stereo system that I want. I will need the NC6 from Sony since I will go to Japan this Sep 2 or so. It will help take away that jet engine noise a lot.

11. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I rarely use headphones, just for those times I have my MP3 player with me when I'm not at home (which isn't very often - I think i've used a set of headphones 2x this year) I'm just fine with cheap ones...and i do not want something that'll block out the sounds around me LOL

At home I have my computer connected to my stereo so I can play sound from it :slight_smile:
    just like it was another device like a Tape/CD/etc

LOL.LOL don't know that I'd call that little thing a subwoofer :lol: :lol:

#11 SimplyJay, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  12. Mhin

I use Headphone everytime, though not that too loud cause I've read that too much volume when using headphone has a bad effect when it comes to our brain or hearing

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like an open, vented design. Grado are my favorites...I have some Grado 225s that I really love, and would to go another step up. I'm easily parted from my money when I have any by good audio equipment!

As far as headphones,I'd really love to hear some Stax or Sennheisers sometime.

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. Headphones can harm your hearing.

Article on protecting your hearing. Note professional bias: this place sells headphones.
    Learning Center - Hearing Protection | HeadRoom Audio

15. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Yes they can harm your hearing but you don't have to turn them up that loud to make your ears hurt. I don't turn up that loud on my headphones that my ears would hurt.

Btw is the Koss UR40 a good open type headphones? Since I heard that you can hear sounds around you meaning it's not closed type like my V150 or V600 headphones from Sony. Basically it's a open type full sized headphones and very lightweight. Basically for around $40 or less I think they are good. I never owned them before.

16. GayJay

I have Turtle beaches for my X-box
    Bot i use them on the laptop for music too

17. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a set of Nexxtech wireless headphones(from The source, formally The Source by Circuit City, formally Radio Shack Canada)

For $30 they're pretty decent, and I love being able to walk around my apartment listening to my tunes, and not being tangled up in cords at my desk or playing the piano. Headphones are a must because the walls are made of paper

I just bought a set of LG Tone 700 Bluetooth headphones to use at the gym and listening to music on my phone

#17 Kenko, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  18. Candace

I do (and have gone through about 5 of them XD). I like to use these ones I got from Wal-Mart and have a microphone thingy attached so you can speak to people (like on Skype)

19. Beware Of You

I have a pair of Beats for my iPod when I am out the house, for in the house I have a pair of JVC DJ head phones plugged into my laptop . Both picked up from airport Duty Free places.