1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Streaming Issues

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sartoris, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Apologies in advance for my extreme lack of technological know-how, but figured I'd try asking for some help anyway.

Long story short, my laptop has been working somewhat faster than it had been for the previous several months after switching anti-malware programs and uninstalling the McAfee and Spyware Doctor programs that we previously had in the computer. While, for me, the effect has been most noticable in my being able to stream YouTube video and audio more smoothly than in the recent past, it still seems to have some issues.

Generally, it seems to work well at first after I've just signed (back) on to the computer but the issues come up more prominently after playing for a time. With video, the image can be jerky or, as on YT, seems to move slowly and gets out of sync with the audio. Now with the audio, the issues aren't quite as noticable, mostly little 'blips' and skips that come about while listening to music on YT, which tend to show up after a video has been playing for several minutes as well. On top of that, naturally I can't really browse other windows since it tends to disrupt the sound even more.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but I rely on Internet Explorer for browsing and have tried Chrome and, with my account at least, it doesn't seem to work any better and may be just a tad slower. I'm not sure whether it's the Internet connection, any issues with the programs used to play video/audio online and/or the age of my laptop [which I got Christmas of '07, I believe] but I'd appreciate any advice or input that could be of help.

Thanks to anyone who has taken the time and patience to read this as well.

2. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Either you need to update your video drivers, or your laptop just isn't powerful enough to display HD content at a fast enough pace.

3. Ridiculous

Unlikely; 2007 is more than recent enough for this sort of thing unless the hardware is defective somehow.

4. Frumpy Pigskin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What brand and model is your laptop?

What programs are currently installed?

5. Spurned

Spurned Guest

Try opening your Task Manager (right click the taskbar or Ctrl + Alt + Del), go to Processes and see if there's anything running that you might not need. E.g., at the moment, there's a bit of my memory being used by YouCam and it isn't even running. If you use BitTorrent and things like that, it will still be running even after you close it, so it's a good way to close those fully.

Try uninstalling some stuff, give yourself a bit more room on your PC, I think it sort of affects it, definitely if there are applications running in the background (found by Task Manager) that you don't notice. It happens with me.

It could just be your laptop, really. My laptop I got at Christmas, and already YouTube videos aren't the best. I just don't think laptops can take YouTube well in general. :lol: I find that the video lags and the sound continues, between 1-15 seconds, and then near the end of the lag, the audio crackles a bit and then the video and audio continue as normal, but it happens every few seconds. It's quite irritating.

Anyway, good luck! :grin:

6. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Strident: What are or where can the video drivers be found? Don't think it's an HD related issue, since I still have trouble trying to watch stuff in lower quality.

Frumpy: I'm not sure the exact model, but it's a Toshiba laptop [with 'Satellite' on the keyboard.] The only program which I imagine is of relevence would be Adobe Flash Player, believe it's the latest free version.

Spurned: I'll try looking into Task Manager, if I can figure out how to find it.

I've been thinking that uninstalling programs might help, since it already started to work better after getting rid of the aforementioned anti-malware programs. In particular, I've considered uninstalling Java but wasn't sure if that would be good or not.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if some of this was ultimately just the laptop, considering it's age. I definitely want to get a new, or even newly used, one in the near future as soon as possible....

------------------------------

Thanks for your input so far!

7. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Semi-related question:

Trying to go through my computer and figure out ways that I can clear stuff out and right now am going through my harddrive, specifically in the Program Files section. Notice there are some files listed for programs that've been uninstalled [like Spyware Doctor, Java.] Aside from wondering why they're still listed, would it help at all to get rid of them?